Seven GeForce GTX 670 Cards, Benchmarked And Reviewed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there be a follow up review ? And include the data I think most people were looking for when they clicked on this article ?

What was the maximum stable OC that each card was able to reach ? I mean it's nice to know the heat data and the noise data so one can make a decision on balancing the one versus the other to suite their needs "outta the box". But think that few of those reading this article are going to leave those "out of the box" OC settings at the factory defaults.

I see you have the "Boost" setting at 1124 ..... non reference 670's have been known, based upon published reviews, to run stable thru benchmark torture tests at 1280 .... that's 14% above your OC test setting. I for one would be interested in knowing which one was the one that couldn't do better than 1124 and thereby set the base test number and which ones could hit what level above that.

G

i think they are lying about msi. i really do. and if msi didn't have it ready in time, perhaps they were making modifications to make it better. either way, its obvious they were paid to keep msi out of this. they can come up with any reason they want, but we all know the truth: msi is the best, most affordable vesrion of this card, and they didn't want it to win, obviously.

reader3800

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
I bought the ASUS card the first day it was available on NewEgg, but got one of the many bad ones. See NewEgg customer feedback -- way too many crash repeatedly at stock speeds. Mine crashed repeatedly even when underclocked. I reluctantly RMA'd it. It was very solid and very quiet (silent up to 58% fan speed), would have been great if it worked. Got my second choice, Gigabyte, very good, zero problems. Not as quiet under load, but quiet enough. I was hoping this article would mention the ASUS problem and speculate as to the cause and solution. Also, would be nice to read about the various fan control-overclock utilities of the cards, especially since any of them (I think) can be used with any 670 card. Which is best? PrecisionX from EVGA may be. ASUS' utility probably contributes to its problems.
Final comment: this article should have been released in the English TomsHardware last month, shortly after it appeared in the German. I watched and waited, hoping for guidance before choosing my replacement card. (The Google translaction of the German site is not very good.)

Awesome review. I have the GTX 680 version of the Gigabyte Windforce and I tell you, it's absolutely amazing. Cool at idle and under load, very quiet and blazing fast. Good to see the GTX 670 version make it to recommended buy.

apparantly, it seems that only newegg got the bad batch. at ncix, all the reviews were either 4 or 5 star and none of them had that problem of unstablity

tirvon

Honorable
May 10, 2012
[citation][nom]REYNOD[/nom]No EVGA??Good point.Lets get one of their cards benched please?Contact Joe Darwin and he will send you one pronto !![/citation]

I agree with above posters, I purchased the EVGA GTX 670 FTW ed. back when it was released, and when I saw today's article was 670's benched I was all excited... and then not. Would love to see the FTW card compared since it is OC'd (even if it isn't 'custom' cooled). ^^
Great article tho!

roymustang

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]there have been some reports and rumours that retail 670/680 are achieving much less overclock/boost than the review samples.can you take a look at that?[/citation]

I have the ASUS card and without me doing anything whatsoever, it boosts way beyond 1137Mhz. Mine boosts to 1267MHz, A friend a mine who also has the card and hasn't touched anything gets a max boost of over 1300MHz.

traverser

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I just received/installed my Asus 670 (non TOP) Must say though it is quiet, once the fans are turned up to 40% it is noticeable (case 500r+cougar fanned push/pull h100). This card is replacing a 5780 2gb reference card that was upgraded to an Arctic Cooling Accelero. I'd say the 5870 at 100% fan is not as loud as my Asus DC2 around 50% fan speed. I bring this up only voice my concerns for if I ever need to replace the fans on my 670 and since it is not a reference card, I would not be able to install a quieter cooler.

Just a heads up for those thinking these are quiet cards...

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Wow that first 90 MHz bump from the reference card sure makes a difference in the benchmarks, but the next 60 MHz on the ASUS card didn't make much difference at all.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Good god EVGA overcharges for what is just a stock cooler and a factory OC. Would have been nice to see them tested though, just to confirm my belief that they are most likely louder at load than any of the cards listed here.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
No MSI or EVGA, so you include Gainward a really crappy company compared to the two mentioned before. Oh wait there is hope, wait no there is not it's a galaxy card and a palit... this review sucks!!!

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
In other Nvidia reviews I've brought up this point too...
Where is EVGA?
Does Tom's have a poor relationship with them? It seems whenever there is a comparison like this on Tom's EVGA is missing in action... Considering they are the top vendor of Nvidia cards it seems odd that they always bow out of Tom's comparisons...

Status
Not open for further replies.