Seven GeForce GTX 670 Cards, Benchmarked And Reviewed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]tirvon[/nom]I agree with above posters, I purchased the EVGA GTX 670 FTW ed. back when it was released, and when I saw today's article was 670's benched I was all excited... and then not. Would love to see the FTW card compared since it is OC'd (even if it isn't 'custom' cooled). ^^ Great article tho![/citation]

You can see the EVGA compared with the Asus here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-670-sc-review/23
EVGA SC Boost Clock is 1046 outta the box....stable at 1200 Mhz
EVGA SC gets 3DMark Score of 8691 outta the box and 9443 OC'd
Idle temp is 29C / load temp is 78C
Noise is 37 dBA Idle / 43 dBA under load

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/23
Asus TOP Boost Clock is 1137 outta the box .... stable at 1280 Mhz
Asus gets 3DMark Score of 9340 outta the box and 9839 OC'd
Idle temp is 30C / load temp is 72C
Noise is 37 dBA Idle / 38 dBA under load

That makes the Asus 7% faster outta the box than the EVGA SC, 6C cooler and almost 1/4 as loud under load (every 3 dBA is a doubling of sound level). The FTW is slightly faster than the SC, leaving the Asus model w/ just a 5% performance advantage

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I can't help but feel that this article is a moot point for comparing to other cards when there is no comparison to overclocked 7970s and 680s. Would be nice to see a complete roundup instead of multiple individual articles that don't tie in with each other.

vakuma5000

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
there have been some reports and rumours that retail 670/680 are achieving much less overclock/boost than the review samples.

I purchased an ASUS GTX 680 Direct CUII model # ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
it has the triple-slot cooler, and is NOT the one with the huge factory overclock.
Core Clock = 1019MHz
Boost Clock = 1084MHz

I have managed to achieve a boost clock of over 1300mhz with it!!!

Using MSI's Afterburner , I set the power slider to +114% and the core clock to +171 with a small increase in voltage (+12) to achieve that overclock.
It typically tops-out at 1318Mhz playing BF3.

Maybe I got lucky, maybe ASUS designed a good board... I dunno.
But, I thought it might be a good idea to share that with you.

When I bought my GTX 680, I wanted to get one with a non-referance PCB to improve my odds of achieving a high overclock.
From what I understand, the vast majority of GTX 600 series cards are using a referance PCB even though they may have custom coolers and factory overclocks.
If you buy a GTX 670/680 try to get one with a non-referance PCB to increase the odds of achieving a massive overclock.
Good luck!

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
awesome review, and im kinda surprise how really big the Zotac Amp! edition really is... Oh well nice read while waiting for a GTX660 to come out... :/

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I got this Gigabyte GTX 670 and I love it! Techpowerup! had a great review on it and prompted me to buy it after waiting forever for it to be in stock once more. Snagged it as soon as it became available!

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]LonelyMan[/nom]I'd like to see one for the 680s too, in which the 680 classified and lightning will be present, including others.[/citation]

+1

for ASKING nicely rather than whining about some favorite card not being in the test.

I'd like to see GTX 680s overclocked (as in, pushed to the max OC, not just set up a common number all cards can achieve and measuring their temperature and noise) compared to GTX 670s overclocked.

I've heard the 680s both do and don't OC as well as the 670s, it would be nice to have a solid review site give their laboratory opinion on the matter.

;)

first read the complete review than start crying like a baby.you suck!

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hmmm... Funny, but my EVGA GTX 670 (plain, vanilla a.k.a. Reference) has never seen more than 60 C on Crysis 2 DX11 with video cranked all the way to the max, and my room temp is 20/21 C.... maybe I just got lucky with mine :)

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
BTW, Im running my EVGA on a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe board (native PCIE 3.0), with and i5 3750K (everything stock speeds for the moment), 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600, and on a mechanical 4 year old WD SATA 2 drive (SSD for boot/system drive only)

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
bought a Gigabyte Windforce 670 OC about a month ago and i love it :). i do get slightly higher temps during gaming, however, (max 73 C in a ~75 F room) but stuff like that differs from situation to situation. it definitely is the best value on the market.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Just so people know, the cooling capacity of these coolers is fairly irrelevant since you can't go past 1.175 volts on any gtx 670 (at the time of this writing) except the MSI Lightning which costs a fortune.

I have the MSI PE which should have tons of OC capability but with the 1.175v ceiling (which can only be removed with some PCB soldering), I can't OC too much more than it's factory OC.

It's entirely possible that new non reference cards will be introduced without this limitation, so hold off on a purchase if you're expecting great OCing capabilities.

Also, about the MSI PE, it's very quiet when you customize the fan curve (with msi AB or evga precision x) and runs very cool. The only problem I have is at bootup when the card shifts to 100% fan speed until windows loads. No idea why it does this, but it's pretty loud. It also looks sweet, though it's missing a backplate.

I'm still pissed at Nvidia for paying $100 more for a 680 over an equally capable 670 (let's just call it like it is). I skipped two generations of video cards (4xx, 5xx) and hung in there for three and half years with SLI 275s. Finally pulled the trigger on a top end card equivalent to SLI 570s which is what I originally wanted, and then Nvidia back-ends us with the best bang/buck card six weeks later. Was hoping updated drivers would make that 680 $100 price gap more digestible, but to date, that's not happened. Could have saved $200 in an SLI rig going with two 670s over two 680s.

s4ndv1p3r

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
WHAT!!!! seriously guys, you missed one of the largest graphics card brands!! EVGA!! O.O I love this site, but that's really really bad!

mapesdhs

Distinguished
[citation][nom]MANOFKRYPTONAK[/nom]... Oh wait there is hope, wait no there is not it's a galaxy card and a palit... this review sucks!!![/citation]

Palit have produced plenty of good products in the past. I bought an EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW when
it first came out (850 core). Later I obtained a Palit GTX 460 768MB off eBay (675); the Palit oc's
without a hitch to an impressive867MHz (not its max either, just some quick messing about), at which
speed it's (RAM capacity issues not withstanding).

However, this review does make me think the Gigabyte card is a better buy atm, though it's a pity the
EVGA is not included.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.