Seven GeForce GTX 670 Cards, Benchmarked And Reviewed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonearth

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardwear,

I have been waiting for this round up, But after I read it I was very disappointed for missing information I was looking forward to.

1. The MSI gtx 670 Power Edition ( I hope you could test it, and update this round up).

2. Asus GTX670-DC2T that you are reviewing, I think it's the Top version. But you haven't recommended Which version of the Direct Cut 2 to get ( there is two versions of the DC2 ).
And is exhausting the heat inside the case, going to be a problem.
You haven't even mentioned the problem with the Asus factory overclocked, did they fix it, is it safe to buy it.

3. I was hoping that you give more attention to this round up, especially this GPU is on radar for so many gamers.

Finally, it's missing some quality information we have always been used to from you.

i think only newegg got a bad batch of the TOP cards. at ncix, nobody had any problems

dragonearth

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]i think only newegg got a bad batch of the TOP cards. at ncix, nobody had any problems[/citation]

I looked at both Ncix, and NewEgg. Which I think it can't be compared like this, especially there'er few people how actually reviewed the product compare to NewEgg.

But, I notice the reviews that as been added recently are positive.
It doesn't make sense, that new egg were having a faulty cards compare to the others.

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
the reason some gtx 670s with the same clock as the 680s do better is because they don't run at their advertised boost clock, they're non reference so they probably boost higher than the reference 680. Also, now the asus non top is the same price as the gigabyte so now it's the best value.

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
what do you mean? The asus was 5db quieter at 70c with a higher overclock. I already bought the gigabyte but that's because I didn't know there would be an asus card and I thought they would be out of stock for a while. The gigabyte is second best, but for my next card I'll buy asus.

G

The asus is nice and quiet, but unfortunately it costs $100 more than the gigabyte here in australia!
Gigabyte 670 wins for me

jeffredo

Distinguished
Just ordered an ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU based on this review. That ultra-quiet HSF just sounds too good (and Amazon has them for $399.99 right now - no tax or shipping charges with Prime).

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Good review but why is there no mention of the Evga GTX 670 FTW card in this review? I was hoping to see that. I see the Zotac is clocked a little bit faster so I guess I just use that as a comparison. I would also like to see the BF3 benchmark although I don't really want to buy the game for I hear it installs EA spyrware on the PC (someone correct me if I am wrong about that).

I am running i7 3770k with GTX 670 FTW and 16GB DDR3 Vengeance corsair RAM and all the games listed in this review run beautifully on it. Crysis 2 is a very high end game by all means. I scoff at anyone who states that the graphics are not better in it than in the original. That is an entirely false statement. This game uses Cryengine 3. I think Crysis used Cryengine and Warhead used Cryengine 2 I'm not sure. maybe cryengine was for their other game and cryengine 2 was for the other crysis games.

Anyway I'm finding that the PC platform lacks titles for DX11 and high top tier graphics. I mean no other system offers them sure, but there isn't a real huge list of games to take advantage.

Crysis 2 and Duke Nukem Forever look and play better on PC than on console. But nobody plays these games!! LOL

Oh well... at least I have the fastest PC I have ever seen or used. I'm happy with it but for the most part I still play source engine games :/ Hopefully someone comes out with more unique stuff in the future.

Oh and I do have Rage that is a good game too and it runs great as well. There are no games that run like crap on this PC :) I wonder what is coming up for DirectX 12. No video cards currently out support DX12 thouh AFAIK.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I thought that way initially but the more I looked around, the more every source pointed to buying a GTX 670. Save yourself the time and just grab a GTX 670 FTW edition like I did. Either that or wait til the DX12 cards come out next year.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Yeah this review was disappointing for a number of reasons including no EVGA (that is a no brainer) and only reviewing Crysis 2 which hardly anyone bothers playing. I think they should have reviewed some mainstream titles like BF3, CODMW3 (yeah I know this game sucks but it is the popular one that people play now I would assume), Blacklight Retibution (because this game is really good and it is free so it is having a high attachment rate now), maybe put in some popular source engine titles like L4D2 and TF2 with framerate uncapped. I have been trying all of these except for BF3. All running at exceptional frame rates. I would also suggest putting RAGE in the review for frame rate and graphics qualities since they have put out updates to take more advantage of modern systems. Maybe even review some other real world environments like Diablo III, Starcraft II (very high resolutions), and WoW with very high resolutions as well.

I think most people don't care about synthetic benchmarks. We all know that synthetics will always put out programs that will make a real top end system look like it runs like crap. :)

jeffredo

Distinguished
Got my ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II yesterday. Nice card - very quiet as the review states. I keep forgetting they use a bare system (no case) for testing. My idle temps are 33C and a half hour of Skyrim had it go up to 73C (fan on auto). About 4C higher than the review temps and kind of surprised me until I remembered how Tom's tests. Still, for a smaller Lian Li case in the summer that's pretty reasonable. I don't know why anyone would buy a reference card when a great third party card like this is available for the same price (I caught it for $399 on Amazon - no tax, free shipping).

LiquidAppo

Honorable
May 28, 2012
This seems really odd to me. The Asus card is better than the Gigabyte in nearly every way, but because the Asus is 30 dollars more it gets passed over for recommended?

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
the top is $37 more (with shipping), but the regular one was $20 more at the time of the review, but just after it changed to the same price as the gigabyte, and $40 isn't worth it for 3 more fps, but the silence is, so now the asus regular dc2 should be recommended.

Thanks Jack for finding this.

I am reposting it given the interest in EVGA.

Hopefully they will send the thg bench testing team a card to test as a followup to this article.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS