Aug 6, 2022
Hello guys. I have searched almost every corner of the internet and talked to anyone I knew in order to find a solution to my problem and came up with nothing so far.

A little background to the story
I live in a private home with 3 floors- main floor, second floor and basement.
About two weeks ago I switched my communication supplier and upgraded to a 1000mbps package.

*I have a router (new one) that is the main source of the house which puts out on speed tests aprox. 850-950 mbps via wired and aprox. 550-650 mbps via wireless on phone only (not laptop- continue reading to understand what I mean)
*To the second floor and the basement I am using TP-LINK TL-WA901ND (version 3- 300mbps max) and set them as access points via ethernet cable.
*Between the floors there are 1000mbps capable switches that are new and fully functional.
*All the cables are CAT-5E and working fine.
*I am using a permanent IP address due to use of security cameras.

These are the problems I have encountered:

1. WiFi through laptop not good - While using a phone (iphone 13 pro) the wifi is great, as I mentioned aprox. 550-650 mbps. BUT when using a laptop (tried several) the connection is good, in the settings I can see it gets 1000mbps, but I don't have an actual connection- can't load new sites, netflix, whatsapp and such apps that are using internet, even a speed test (app and site). (it is worth mentioning that I can load sites that are cached as youtube or facebook).

2. Access points not delivering the required speed - As I mentioned, I am using TP-LINK TL-WA901ND (version 3- 300mbps max). I have set them up and they are connected to the main router via cable through switches that are capable of delivering 1000mbps.
However, in every speed test I am doing through wifi on those access points, I always get aprox. 50-70mbps when I need to get 300mbps.

3. Laptop not delivering fast ethernet speed - I have a Lenovo Thinkpad 3-15itl and I am using an ethernet usb adapter- UNITEK uHUB Q4+ (H1906A) that is capable of delivering gigabit ethernet speed. However, everytime connecting the laptop through cable, even directly to the main router, I get aprox. 180-190mbps on speed tests.
Please note I did try to access device manager and define the speed & duplex with no change of the speed and also tried to change the wall ethernet point including to the main router directly.

4. Wall points - some wall points in the house are still delivering 100mbps even though I changed all the switches from 100mbps to 1000mbps.

Real thanks to the ones who read all the way down and are taking their precious time to help me fix my problems.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello guys. I have searched almost every corner of the internet and talked to anyone I knew in order to find a solution to my problem and came up with nothing so far.

A little background to the story
I live in a private home with 3 floors- main floor, second floor and basement.
About two weeks ago I switched my communication supplier and upgraded to a 1000mbps package.

*I have a router (new one) that is the main source of the house which puts out on speed tests aprox. 850-950 mbps via wired and aprox. 550-650 mbps via wireless on phone only (not laptop- continue reading to understand what I mean)
*To the second floor and the basement I am using TP-LINK TL-WA901ND (version 3- 300mbps max) and set them as access points via ethernet cable.
*Between the floors there are 1000mbps capable switches that are new and fully functional.
*All the cables are CAT-5E and working fine.
*I am using a permanent IP address due to use of security cameras.

These are the problems I have encountered:

1. WiFi through laptop not good - While using a phone (iphone 13 pro) the wifi is great, as I mentioned aprox. 550-650 mbps. BUT when using a laptop (tried several) the connection is good, in the settings I can see it gets 1000mbps, but I don't have an actual connection- can't load new sites, netflix, whatsapp and such apps that are using internet, even a speed test (app and site). (it is worth mentioning that I can load sites that are cached as youtube or facebook).

2. Access points not delivering the required speed - As I mentioned, I am using TP-LINK TL-WA901ND (version 3- 300mbps max). I have set them up and they are connected to the main router via cable through switches that are capable of delivering 1000mbps.
However, in every speed test I am doing through wifi on those access points, I always get aprox. 50-70mbps when I need to get 300mbps.

3. Laptop not delivering fast ethernet speed - I have a Lenovo Thinkpad 3-15itl and I am using an ethernet usb adapter- UNITEK uHUB Q4+ (H1906A) that is capable of delivering gigabit ethernet speed. However, everytime connecting the laptop through cable, even directly to the main router, I get aprox. 180-190mbps on speed tests.
Please note I did try to access device manager and define the speed & duplex with no change of the speed and also tried to change the wall ethernet point including to the main router directly.

4. Wall points - some wall points in the house are still delivering 100mbps even though I changed all the switches from 100mbps to 1000mbps.

Real thanks to the ones who read all the way down and are taking their precious time to help me fix my problems.
Your AP not giving you speed is very easy -- Look at the specs -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901nd/#specifications
The wired ports are 100Mbit. You will max out at 90Mbit.
Wall plates -- Need to have the cables verified for 8 pin continuity. I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM as a very basic tester.

Laptop issues. Try disabling IPv6 on the laptop(s).

Aug 6, 2022
Your AP not giving you speed is very easy -- Look at the specs -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901nd/#specifications
The wired ports are 100Mbit. You will max out at 90Mbit.
Wall plates -- Need to have the cables verified for 8 pin continuity. I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM as a very basic tester.

Laptop issues. Try disabling IPv6 on the laptop(s).
Thanks about the AP one, ill set it as a repeater that relies on wifi to give me the required speed.
About the wall plates- im positive the cables are the exact ones on all of the wall plates around the house and still somehow several are slower.

About the laptop wired and wireless problems (the first about phone wifi good and laptop wifi cant connect, and the second about laptop wired connection maxes out @200mbps)
Can you lead me by steps to solving my problem?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks about the AP one, ill set it as a repeater that relies on wifi to give me the required speed.
About the wall plates- im positive the cables are the exact ones on all of the wall plates around the house and still somehow several are slower.

About the laptop wired and wireless problems (the first about phone wifi good and laptop wifi cant connect, and the second about laptop wired connection maxes out @200mbps)
Can you lead me by steps to solving my problem?
First "bumping" a thread is prohibited by the rules of this board. Don't do it.
Your wall plates. Do you actually have a basic ethernet tester ? Without at least something like I linked above, you will have difficulty troubleshooting in-wall cabling.

You have so many different things in your post you need to pick one and work on it. I would start with the wired network and get all the ethernet ports to at least come up as gigabit. You then must be careful how you test stuff like wifi. The AP you list is garbage, well very old, and only has 100mbps ports and only support slower 802.11n data encoding rates.