sfc /scannow

I checked with the MVP guys at this link:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-24.html
To try and solve my problem. No luck.
When I run sfc, the system asks me to insert the cd. I have the I386
core files stored on my hard drive under C:\I386.
I checked the registry editor at the following string:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Setup
And I have the source path listed as c:\I386 but the system keeps asking
for the cd.
Anybody know how I can get my system to find the correct folder to copy from?
I run windows xp home, no installation cd just the recovery cd's but I
wouldn't
want to have to do a complete system recovery. SFC should be able to read
the I386 folder that I have it pointed to but it just wont.
Any idea's?
Thanks

See if setting the path as c:\ helps (without the i386)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B07ABA2-3EAF-43EE-B16E-512DE91A8C37@microsoft.com...
[...]

That is what it was originally -- c:\ and I got the message to insert the cd.
So, I
changed it to c:\I386 and I still get the same message. It's maddening. I
wish I
knew why. This one has me pulling my hair out.

"1972vet" <> wrote in message....

> That is what it was originally -- c:\ and I got the message to insert the
> cd.
> So, I
> changed it to c:\I386 and I still get the same message. It's maddening. I
> wish I
> knew why. This one has me pulling my hair out.
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See if setting the path as c:\ helps (without the i386)

1972vet, you may already have been down this route but, perhaps the files
have been
compressed by the supplier/manufacturer of your PC. If so, you will need to
decompress them.

Regards,
Joe Steele

Hey Joe,
Thanks for not making the assumption. In fact, I was the one who shouldn't
have made any assumptions because as it turned out, you were right.
I checked the file and found lots and lots of blue. Geez, have I got my work
cut out for me now.
Thanks again pal, you hit the nail square on the head.

"J&P" wrote:

> "1972vet" <> wrote in message....
>
> > That is what it was originally -- c:\ and I got the message to insert the
> > cd.
> > So, I
> > changed it to c:\I386 and I still get the same message. It's maddening. I
> > wish I
> > knew why. This one has me pulling my hair out.
> >
> > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> See if setting the path as c:\ helps (without the i386)
>
> 1972vet, you may already have been down this route but, perhaps the files
> have been
> compressed by the supplier/manufacturer of your PC. If so, you will need to
> decompress them.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Steele

I'm running Windows XP Home edition, and my I386 folder is under
C:\Windows\I386. Maybe your I386 got misplaced.