Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP Home
with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a few days
ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder while in a
user (limited account) or guest accounts.
Thanks for any advice
Dale

"Dale" wrote:

> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP Home
> with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a few days
> ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder while in a
> user (limited account) or guest accounts.
> Thanks for any advice
> Dale

Do you have TweakUI?
+ My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
Apply | OK
-----

Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727

My Documents folder missing in My Computer
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
> Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
> few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
> while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
> Thanks for any advice
> Dale

Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.

While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders folder
after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a tinker
in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know what I'm
doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.

Dale

> Do you have TweakUI?
> + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
> Apply | OK
> -----
>
> Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
>
> The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
>
> My Documents folder missing in My Computer
> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
> Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
>> Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
>> few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
>> while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
>> Thanks for any advice
>> Dale

Hi Dale,

The desktop.ini file for Shared Documents is either screwed up or missing.

Detailed, illustrated instructions here:
http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3

Seems like a big deal, but it's really pretty simple.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:TOr6e.75424$Nr5.38833@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.
>
> While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders folder
> after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a
> tinker in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know
> what I'm doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.
>
> Dale

>> Do you have TweakUI?
>> + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
>> Apply | OK
>> -----
>>
>> Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
>>
>> The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
>>
>> My Documents folder missing in My Computer
>> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
>> Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
>>> Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
>>> few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
>>> while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
>>> Thanks for any advice
>>> Dale

Hi and thanks Wesley, worked first time, cheers m8.

Dale

Howdy Dale,

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:IOC6e.27327$mV1.9922@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Hi and thanks Wesley, worked first time, cheers m8.
>
> Dale

>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> The desktop.ini file for Shared Documents is either screwed up or
>> missing.
>>
>> Detailed, illustrated instructions here:
>> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3
>>
>> Seems like a big deal, but it's really pretty simple.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:TOr6e.75424$Nr5.38833@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
>> Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.
>>>
>>> While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders
>>> folder
>>> after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a
>>> tinker in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know
>>> what I'm doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Dale

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User