[SOLVED] Shared system memory (Half of my memory is useable)

Aug 4, 2020
I was wondering if i can somehow reduce the shared sys. memory so i can play some games,
I have 8gb ram (2x4gb same brand), Ryzen 5 1600, Sapphire nitro rx570 4gb and A320M A Pro board

at first i can play batman arkham night with my 8gb mem then after i reset my pc i cant play anymore this game because i can only use 4gb out of 8gb ram
It says the dedicated video memory is 4gb and shared system memory is 4gb also and a total available graphics memory of 8gb.

So i have doubts if i upgrade it to 16gb, it shares half of my memory.
Any suggestions?

Replying to this thread will highly appreciated! thanks

This is the image of my screenshot to my pc's memory

Last edited:
Solution
Hardware reserved ram is only 48.8mb all the rest of your ram is available for use. In the pic you posted the system is using 3.2Gb with the rest being available. System is seeing 8gb of usable ram. If you had a gpu that steals system ram as vram(usually only done by igpus) it would show up as hardware reserved(which means the OS can't use it). The shared vram you are seeing is what the gpu can use if the game/program you are running uses all the gpu's dedicated ram the spillover comes from system ram(this also will be a visible with a slow down as system ram is not as fats as a gpus vram).
Aug 4, 2020
The 4GB GPU will take 4GB of memory adresses from the top down at startup (1/2 of 8GB). If you put in 16GB it will still take 4GB. So you should be OK.
Even with an 8GB GPU that actually would take 1/2 the RAM you would still have twice as much available anyway.

so it means if i upgraded to 16 gb, the 4gb mem will taken by the gpu so i have 12gb useable?

bignastyid

Titan
Hardware reserved ram is only 48.8mb all the rest of your ram is available for use. In the pic you posted the system is using 3.2Gb with the rest being available. System is seeing 8gb of usable ram. If you had a gpu that steals system ram as vram(usually only done by igpus) it would show up as hardware reserved(which means the OS can't use it). The shared vram you are seeing is what the gpu can use if the game/program you are running uses all the gpu's dedicated ram the spillover comes from system ram(this also will be a visible with a slow down as system ram is not as fats as a gpus vram).

Reactions: Bonjovobi
Solution