[SOLVED] Short Circuited my HDD by using a psu connector intended for a different PSU, now worried about the state of my system

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
I bought an HDD and decided to plug into my EVGA G3 Psu using the sata power cable from a EVGA GQ Psu, fried the HDD, dead. The motherboard I have is a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5.
Now, I remove the SATA cable between my HDD and my mobo, and noticed the whole cord was fried out. I was supposed to have 5 drives in total connected to my mobo, with a m.2 nvme SSD to install in the future. All of sata3 ports 0-2 & 4 on the mobo are occupied, and I obviously cant use SATA port 5 on my mobo since its dead now (part of the pins in that socket burnt out). Sata port 5 is above Sata port 1, and one of my HDDs use sata port 1.

Once i get an exchange on my HDD, and plug it into the unoccupied sata3 port 3, would any drives be disabled? Would I have to worry about the rest of my MOBO & just not use sata port 5 on my HDD? I am currently using my PC & dont notice anything unusual yet, but it's just the motherboard SATA port 5 that might affect the rest of the motherboard. I'm also worried about my PSU; i did unplug the PC 5 seconds after it started smoking.
Another stupid thing I did, after i unplugged the EVGA GQ psu connector, i didn't initially check how the HDD connectors and Sata connectors looked. I take the last connector on my EVGA G3 Sata power plug from my PSU to the HDD, turned my pc on, however, that HDD is not powering on. Now, you may be wondering why I didn't use this same plug to power the HDD and used the EVGA GQ one instead. I thought if I used the EVGA GQ plug as a standalone connector to my new HDD, the HDD will function properly since it is taking power from one plug & the EVGA G3 plug will be connected to 3 different drives.
Can I still use this same connector on my replacement HDD? The HDD components on the port have melted and I am worried that when I plugged the EVGA G3 connector, some of the residue may have applied on it

Solution
I guess pcie cables are interchangeable? The label on the cable says "vga gq". That really is the only reason why i went forward with using the GQ Sata psu connection on my new hdd, i really didnt think through of using cables for other psus as serious.
They are NOT interchangeable. At all!
The proper cables, only with the actual PSU they came with.

While that GPU cable may be 'compatible' within the same brand, that is NOT a safe assumption to make.
The only default way to operate is use the actual cables the PSU came with.

USAFRet

Titan
Using incompatible modular PSU cables can result in damage to anything.

You absolutely need the proper cables for the PSU you are going to use. You cannot mix and match.

You may have gotten lucky and only killed that one drive. Or, there may be many other things that are now fried.

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
Using incompatible modular PSU cables can result in damage to anything.

You absolutely need the proper cables for the PSU you are going to use. You cannot mix and match.

You may have gotten lucky and only killed that one drive. Or, there may be many other things that are now fried.
I benchmarked my other drives and they are fine for now, can access my mobo bios. I think i just killed that sata port on my mobo. HOWEVER, i have been using a PCIE cable on my evga g3 that is intended for my old EVGA GQ, and been going strong for 2 years on my gpu?? Is that supposed to happen? I guess pcie cables are interchangeable? The label on the cable says "vga gq". That really is the only reason why i went forward with using the GQ Sata psu connection on my new hdd, i really didnt think through of using cables for other psus as serious.

USAFRet

Titan
I guess pcie cables are interchangeable? The label on the cable says "vga gq". That really is the only reason why i went forward with using the GQ Sata psu connection on my new hdd, i really didnt think through of using cables for other psus as serious.
They are NOT interchangeable. At all!
The proper cables, only with the actual PSU they came with.

While that GPU cable may be 'compatible' within the same brand, that is NOT a safe assumption to make.
The only default way to operate is use the actual cables the PSU came with.

Solution