Should I be worried?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
So i just brought my PC to the pc shop that fixed my laptop and did work for my friend. Also my friends dad has known the owners wife for 30 years. Pretty much I handed him a list of my PC build before ordering any parts to make sure they would work. They include a asus maximus hero vii mobo, gtx 780 6gb sc, 32gb corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz ram, 4790k cpu, h105 cooler (or the supplied h100 cooler), a nzxt phantom 410 gaming case and three hard drives and a asus dis drive. The guy told me that the parts would be ok, then today asked me if all the parts were compatable and if IMFAO if the gpu would work with the mobo. Basically I'm sure everything will work but I want to know your opinion. Also he is charging me around 600 bucks for 4 hours worth of work and in my laptop I used to have 2 HHD. One with 500gb the other with 750gb. After the hard drive failure all I got back was one hard drive from seagate that only had 500gb on it and was charged 105 for it. Is this guy soound like trouble or do you guys think everything willl work out for me?

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

No more money left to do that now. Alsoa simple yes or no would have been helpful.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
AS far as I know if you really really wanted to, you could theoretically hang out at Intel or AMD forum and ask for a beta BIOS for your CPU.
Otherwise things like Chipset, Network adapter soundcard and what have you, you cannot even get. It's the standard driver or nothing.
Other thing you could do is get a BIOS flashed for your GPU. I once tried that stunt and it cost me both the 150 GPU and my 300 plus motherboard. The CPU was saved but without the mobo I had to buy a entire system cause the intel socket was out dated...

TL;DR; Beta drivers (read not GPU bios) for anything other than GPU either doesn't exist or is bad news.

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Good thing I have the guy installing the drivers then. Thats one of things he warranties if he installs the drivers and hardware at the same time.Also thanks for explaining that for me. I know hardware....when it comes to software I dont really know much other then how to update gpu drivers.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Is he loading your OS, and adding all the updates? I that 600 for building your computer and Fixing your laptop?
Also is he giving some king of labor warranty? In writing.

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

600 for physically building my PC and installing all software and drivers and a OS.

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

yes os, updates, and drives. anything that goes into getting it 100 percent up to date on drivers and updated OS.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

To do what he is doing Takes more than 4 hours. It is still high. Just learn from this. I have done much worse Myself.

faithfullmatt

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014