[SOLVED] Should I BIOS update my ASUS ROG Strix B550-F WiFi II?

Dec 21, 2022
Though it will arrive early or mid January I just want to know if I should bother to update it first or assemble it

Components are:
Ryzen 7 5700X (8C / 16T)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2 x 16 / C18) DDR4 3600
MSI Rx 6650 XT Mech 2x OC
Corsair Rm750x Watt 80+ Gold

This is my first pc build and I'm scared doing updates that can potentially brick it

Solution
So update BIOS first then assemble got it.
Can I just plug my current SSD with windows10 on it then benchmark it? ...
It's possible...but probably not. It may boot up but be very unstable and besides, any benchmark results won't be valid with mismatched hardware/OS installation.

Also, your SSD is probably set up in MBR partitioning scheme with a legacy BIOS your current system from 2014 is doubtless using. Your new system will have a UEFI BIOS that you want to install Windows 11 fresh so it will set up in a GPT partitioning scheme with Secure Boot for best system security. If you update BIOS to the latest before clean-installing Windows 11 it will do just that for you by default...

kanewolf

Titan
Though it will arrive early or mid January I just want to know if I should bother to update it first or assemble it

Components are:
Ryzen 7 5700X (8C / 16T)

This is my first pc build and I'm scared doing updates that can potentially brick it
Since it is all new parts, I would say, do the update. BIOS updates are not ZERO risk, but they are low risk if you follow the motherboard manual.

Reactions: Zelysium
I don't know about the specific combination, but ASUS has a nasty habit of shipping socket AM4 with a BIOS release too old to work with some of the newer 5000 series, e.g., the 5900x (but perhaps also 5700x, don't know). When you get the board, assuming it has the LED Q-Code indicator, and it remains stuck at 00 and won't continue past that, then it very likely means it must be flashed to be compatible with the CPU. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest flashing until you find something you need it updated for. If it works, then research it. If it doesn't work, be ready with the flash update software. I personally gave up on ASUS recently because I couldn't get a board to flash with the 5900x, and the vendors buy in batches.

Components are:
Ryzen 7 5700X (8C / 16T)

I go with updating BIOS no matter what but before assembly is the obvious best choice. It's almost always a good idea to bench test (or breadboard) a new build and install the OS outside the case and before assembly should anything that arrived DOA need to be exchanged. You'll also know more about things like difficult connections so if it doesn't work after assembly you have an idea where to check first.

But in the end, definitely update BIOS to get the benefit of the many 'fixes' to AGESA and BIOS code that have come about in recent months. Especially for things like Windows 11 compatibility.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022
I don't know about the specific combination, but ASUS has a nasty habit of shipping socket AM4 with a BIOS release too old to work with some of the newer 5000 series, e.g., the 5900x (but perhaps also 5700x, don't know). When you get the board, assuming it has the LED Q-Code indicator, and it remains stuck at 00 and won't continue past that, then it very likely means it must be flashed to be compatible with the CPU. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest flashing until you find something you need it updated for. If it works, then research it. If it doesn't work, be ready with the flash update software. I personally gave up on ASUS recently because I couldn't get a board to flash with the 5900x, and the vendors buy in batches.
I thought it will be 5000 series ready out of the box, guess not.

Dec 21, 2022
I go with updating BIOS no matter what but before assembly is the obvious best choice. It's almost always a good idea to bench test (or breadboard) a new build and install the OS outside the case and before assembly should anything that arrived DOA need to be exchanged. You'll also know more about things like difficult connections so if it doesn't work after assembly you have an idea where to check first.

But in the end, definitely update BIOS to get the benefit of the many 'fixes' to AGESA and BIOS code that have come about in recent months. Especially for things like Windows 11 compatibility.
Can I just plug my current SSD with windows10 on it then benchmark it? My current rig is like 2014 prebuilt (Athlon 4k 860k) so its generations behind with what I currently bought and I can't really mix match them or use it to test the new parts. (or I just misunderstand what you said about bench testing [idk sorry if I did])

Can I just plug my current SSD with windows10 on it then benchmark it? ...
It's possible...but probably not. It may boot up but be very unstable and besides, any benchmark results won't be valid with mismatched hardware/OS installation.

Also, your SSD is probably set up in MBR partitioning scheme with a legacy BIOS your current system from 2014 is doubtless using. Your new system will have a UEFI BIOS that you want to install Windows 11 fresh so it will set up in a GPT partitioning scheme with Secure Boot for best system security. If you update BIOS to the latest before clean-installing Windows 11 it will do just that for you by default.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 21, 2022

Also, your SSD is probably set up in MBR partitioning scheme with a legacy BIOS your current system from 2014 is doubtless using. Your new system will have a UEFI BIOS that you want to install Windows 11 fresh so it will set up in a GPT partitioning scheme with Secure Boot for best system security. If you update BIOS to the latest before clean-installing Windows 11 it will do just that for you by default.
Okay so
  1. Update the BIOS to the latest version
  2. Assemble the PC
  3. (I bought a new SSD Samsung QVO so I won't take the old SSD from my old rig)
  4. Clean install of Windows 11 (Thanks for the link!)
I think I got it now
I'll be ready when I get it
Thank you very much!