[SOLVED] Should I buy 3070 or keep 2070 Super?

I bought 2070 Super in June 2020 and I'm thinking whether I should sell it. GPU prices are absurdly high where I live, this was bought for around $620

3070 goes for $700
I might be able to sell this for $450-500 Should I do that or just buy the 3000 refresh?

Solution
You want my honest opinion? It's faster but I'd only get it if I needed it. The longer you can sit on the RTX 2070 Super the more value you get out of it. Yes it is exciting when new graphics cards launch. Especially this time. Unless you have loads of money anyway I'd think long and hard before upgrading. You have had the card for maybe a year or less. The RTX 2070 Super is a great card and just because something new came along doesn't take that away. And obviously you're not made of money. If you were you'd automatically get 2 RTX 3090's in SLI. Jensen would personally deliver them straight from his oven. Lol. But in all seriousness I know there is a lot of hype I know nvidia is great at marketing. At the end of the day all that...

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Sell it before you buy atleast so you know that you will get what you need from it. I have the 2070 super to and i am keeping it. It still preforms as expected and to be honest i dont think i would have payed 400$ for it my self now. 3070 at 700$ you say and then used 2080ti for 400-550$ i think it will be hard to get 350-400$ for a 2070 super

Sell it before you buy atleast so you know that you will get what you need from it. I have the 2070 super to and i am keeping it. It still preforms as expected and to be honest i dont think i would have payed 400$ for it my self now. 3070 at 700$ you say and then used 2080ti for 400-550$ i think it will be hard to get 350-400$ for a 2070 super
Well people here might pay $400 because even the 2060s here costs $500 new. But I think I'll pass on selling right now

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Well people here might pay $400 because even the 2060s here costs $500 new. But I think I'll pass on selling right now
Those who buy GPU now at the prices that the dealers still have do not know whats happening, need a new card no matter what or are idi... No one would buy a 2080 ti for 1000$+++ now when 3070 is right around the corner for same preformance or better for half the price. So offcours 2080ti will take a big dive in the used marked and so will all the others including 2070s.
Thats way i recomend to sell your before you buy. Do not be suprised if you will get a lot less for your card then what you want. Remember its not only you thats want to sell theyr card. Its buyers time now not seller

You want my honest opinion? It's faster but I'd only get it if I needed it. The longer you can sit on the RTX 2070 Super the more value you get out of it. Yes it is exciting when new graphics cards launch. Especially this time. Unless you have loads of money anyway I'd think long and hard before upgrading. You have had the card for maybe a year or less. The RTX 2070 Super is a great card and just because something new came along doesn't take that away. And obviously you're not made of money. If you were you'd automatically get 2 RTX 3090's in SLI. Jensen would personally deliver them straight from his oven. Lol. But in all seriousness I know there is a lot of hype I know nvidia is great at marketing. At the end of the day all that matter is that you have a good experience while gaming and at 1440p and even some situations in 4K your current card delivers a great experience. I've had first hand experience with the RTX 2080, 2080 ti, 2080 Super and several others. Even AMD. Although the drivers were a mess when I tried them. I know your card is very similar to the RTX 2080 although it's a bit worse it's less than 10%. For all intents and purposes those cards are pretty much equal. I have not personally tested the RTX 2070 Super but I've saw several reviews and I pretty much know how it stacks up.

If you're worried just don't. If everyone was always worried about their PC going obsolete everyone would always have the latest and greatest technology. The fact is people don't need the latest and greatest unless they are trying to do something that's stupid expensive to do like 1440p 144hz or 4k 60 or even something greater than that. If you're trying to shoot for that then yes you need an RTX 3000 series card and you'll want the RTX 3080 not the RTX 3070. And yes the RTX 3070 can do that kind of gaming now but probably not in a year or 2 when more demanding next generation games are unleashed. Not only that... But let's not forget guys that these are just games we're talking about anyway. Why take it so seriously anyway? If you're playing at 1080p or 1440p 60hz just don't worry about upgrading You're fine for the foreseeable future. Also ray tracing isn't that much better on Ampere from what I can tell. It still sucks. The RTX 3090 is only just so beefed up that it can finally offer ray tracing that can kinda work. If not for DLSS some titles I guarantee would be less than 60 fps at 4K with ray tracing on the RTX 3090 even. I would also say that even the consoles will have an option to turn ray tracing off if the player desires 120 fps. Until the performance hit from ray tracing is virtually 0 by method of dlss or pure native resolution I'm going to have to say it's just not a good thing to have running. Personally I'd rather have the higher performance any day. Besides your GPU is probably very close to what is in the PS5 unless they beef it up some more before release.

So basically unless you're trying to do something that's stupidly expensive to do just don't worry you'll still be able to play your games and new ones for years on that RTX 2070 Super. It's still a super card. ;) 4k 30 or 1440p greater than 60 should be perfectly fine and perfectly playable for years.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
You want my honest opinion? It's faster but I'd only get it if I needed it. The longer you can sit on the RTX 2070 Super the more value you get out of it. Yes it is exciting when new graphics cards launch. Especially this time. Unless you have loads of money anyway I'd think long and hard before upgrading. You have had the card for maybe a year or less. The RTX 2070 Super is a great card and just because something new came along doesn't take that away. And obviously you're not made of money. If you were you'd automatically get 2 RTX 3090's in SLI. Jensen would personally deliver them straight from his oven. Lol. But in all seriousness I know there is a lot of hype I know nvidia is great at marketing. At the end of the day all that matter is that you have a good experience while gaming and at 1440p and even some situations in 4K your current card delivers a great experience. I've had first hand experience with the RTX 2080, 2080 ti, 2080 Super and several others. Even AMD. Although the drivers were a mess when I tried them. I know your card is very similar to the RTX 2080 although it's a bit worse it's less than 10%. For all intents and purposes those cards are pretty much equal. I have not personally tested the RTX 2070 Super but I've saw several reviews and I pretty much know how it stacks up.

If you're worried just don't. If everyone was always worried about their PC going obsolete everyone would always have the latest and greatest technology. The fact is people don't need the latest and greatest unless they are trying to do something that's stupid expensive to do like 1440p 144hz or 4k 60 or even something greater than that. If you're trying to shoot for that then yes you need an RTX 3000 series card and you'll want the RTX 3080 not the RTX 3070. And yes the RTX 3070 can do that kind of gaming now but probably not in a year or 2 when more demanding next generation games are unleashed. Not only that... But let's not forget guys that these are just games we're talking about anyway. Why take it so seriously anyway? If you're playing at 1080p or 1440p 60hz just don't worry about upgrading You're fine for the foreseeable future. Also ray tracing isn't that much better on Ampere from what I can tell. It still sucks. The RTX 3090 is only just so beefed up that it can finally offer ray tracing that can kinda work. If not for DLSS some titles I guarantee would be less than 60 fps at 4K with ray tracing on the RTX 3090 even. I would also say that even the consoles will have an option to turn ray tracing off if the player desires 120 fps. Until the performance hit from ray tracing is virtually 0 by method of dlss or pure native resolution I'm going to have to say it's just not a good thing to have running. Personally I'd rather have the higher performance any day. Besides your GPU is probably very close to what is in the PS5 unless they beef it up some more before release.

So basically unless you're trying to do something that's stupidly expensive to do just don't worry you'll still be able to play your games and new ones for years on that RTX 2070 Super. It's still a super card. ;) 4k 30 or 1440p greater than 60 should be perfectly fine and perfectly playable for years.
Well yeah I'm only really going for 1080p 240 on CS GO and rest on 165. I don't think 1440p 144 is worth it just yet, maybe when 4000 comes out. And I guess after your reply I'll probably stick to 2070S until 4070 (or definitely at least till 3070S, if they give 3080 performance levels for $500-550), I've only had this for 3 months. Probably might upgrade to a 7 series processor on either AMD or Intel at that point too, up from my R5 3600.

I have however learnt the lesson of patience lol

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I bought 2070 Super in June 2020 and I'm thinking whether I should sell it. GPU prices are absurdly high where I live, this was bought for around $620

3070 goes for $700
I might be able to sell this for $450-500 Should I do that or just buy the 3000 refresh?
A total waiste of money IMO. Stick with what you got. I really do believe owners of 2xxx series cards should sit this one out until technology in software demands hardware like this. We barely have Ray Tracing down.. that is a barely... They just threw everything and the kitchen sink into this GPU and the VRAM on it but the 4xxx series will be the ground breaking one. The one that will give 200fps at 2k res all nVidia panel settings turned on maxed out all AA methods turned on all in game ultra high and games at that point in 2022 2023 will be far advanced and take proper advantage of all the DX and video card technology. To not only dish out framerates but to give you a real world true to life smooth lag free experience. TLDR 🙏🍩☮👈🤷‍♀️💯

People jumping on the 3xxx series should be those with 1xxx series cards or lower or 590 AMD or lower. Everyone else should stay put imo. I mean I know the 3090 will be two thousand dollars once its on sale through a manufactorer and also the founders edition will be rare and be sold for 1800 dollars. The 3090Ti will be 2500 dollar card. You can buy a TV a Xbox some furniture and food for the season with that money. The performance is the same alto yes PC is the better experience. If I was on my old 1060 which I gave to my paps.. Then ya I would probably go for a 3080 to get 2k gaming and higher IQ and what not. But in yoru case your sitting on a shiny spanking new 2070 Super want to go for a 3070 or 3080 is just not right. Unless your a rich kid who completly doesn't care about money; which I doubt you are Im sure you a nice guy and struggling in these covid-19 times... anyhow. Just overclock that card of yours to like 8000Mhz minimum VRAM and a bit on the core like 100Mhz to keep stable and your set for now.

They tout the 3xxx series as 4k and 8k gaming cards. Who the heck has a computer that is 8k. That is all gimmick and marketing. Look I love nVidia and got their first ever card back in 1998 Riva TNT and what not. Also for CPUs Intel is my go to for my DAW. AMD will always be second place to Intel and nVidia but that is besides the point. nVidia wants money so they will tell you come grab the 3080 and game at 4k. But isn't that what they said about the 2080Ti. The 4k gaming card and what not. Well facts are there is no card out right now that can game at 4k with all nVdia panel settings maxed out all AA methods MSAA etc and in game all settings turned on and everything maxed out to high or ultra high and expect 144fps to match your shiny 144hz PC monitor. The 3090 will come close but fail. I think the 3080 will give like 90fps where the 2080Ti gave 60fps with dips however. Best to just play at 2k have it be a bit bigger as 4k is only good for desktop and what not. Turn on AA methods max out everything and turn game settings to max and enjoy 144fps gaming smooth and butter. Perhaps the 4xxx series nVidia cards will come close to making 4k a reality but end of the day I really cant play FPS AAA titles that small.. small I like for desktop and phone dpi setting but not action FPS plus you lose so much FPS and we need a smooth experience and what not butter smooth without one hitch. 👌🚔👩‍🦲♻😂☮

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I have the 2060 Super which I bought a year ago, I am extremely satisfied with, I can play all the new titles at 1080p Ultra 70+ fps, competitive at 200+ fps, I don't see any reason to upgrade, beside, we won't see any demanding games for a year or two. And do not forget DLSS 2.0 which is the real deal here as newer games will support it and we will get higher frames for free.

A total waiste of money IMO. Stick with what you got. I really do believe owners of 2xxx series cards should sit this one out until technology in software demands hardware like this. We barely have Ray Tracing down.. that is a barely... They just threw everything and the kitchen sink into this GPU and the VRAM on it but the 4xxx series will be the ground breaking one. The one that will give 200fps at 2k res all nVidia panel settings turned on maxed out all AA methods turned on all in game ultra high and games at that point in 2022 2023 will be far advanced and take proper advantage of all the DX and video card technology. To not only dish out framerates but to give you a real world true to life smooth lag free experience. TLDR 🙏🍩☮👈🤷‍♀️💯

People jumping on the 3xxx series should be those with 1xxx series cards or lower or 590 AMD or lower. Everyone else should stay put imo. I mean I know the 3090 will be two thousand dollars once its on sale through a manufactorer and also the founders edition will be rare and be sold for 1800 dollars. The 3090Ti will be 2500 dollar card. You can buy a TV a Xbox some furniture and food for the season with that money. The performance is the same alto yes PC is the better experience. If I was on my old 1060 which I gave to my paps.. Then ya I would probably go for a 3080 to get 2k gaming and higher IQ and what not. But in yoru case your sitting on a shiny spanking new 2070 Super want to go for a 3070 or 3080 is just not right. Unless your a rich kid who completly doesn't care about money; which I doubt you are Im sure you a nice guy and struggling in these covid-19 times... anyhow. Just overclock that card of yours to like 8000Mhz minimum VRAM and a bit on the core like 100Mhz to keep stable and your set for now.

They tout the 3xxx series as 4k and 8k gaming cards. Who the heck has a computer that is 8k. That is all gimmick and marketing. Look I love nVidia and got their first ever card back in 1998 Riva TNT and what not. Also for CPUs Intel is my go to for my DAW. AMD will always be second place to Intel and nVidia but that is besides the point. nVidia wants money so they will tell you come grab the 3080 and game at 4k. But isn't that what they said about the 2080Ti. The 4k gaming card and what not. Well facts are there is no card out right now that can game at 4k with all nVdia panel settings maxed out all AA methods MSAA etc and in game all settings turned on and everything maxed out to high or ultra high and expect 144fps to match your shiny 144hz PC monitor. The 3090 will come close but fail. I think the 3080 will give like 90fps where the 2080Ti gave 60fps with dips however. Best to just play at 2k have it be a bit bigger as 4k is only good for desktop and what not. Turn on AA methods max out everything and turn game settings to max and enjoy 144fps gaming smooth and butter. Perhaps the 4xxx series nVidia cards will come close to making 4k a reality but end of the day I really cant play FPS AAA titles that small.. small I like for desktop and phone dpi setting but not action FPS plus you lose so much FPS and we need a smooth experience and what not butter smooth without one hitch. 👌🚔👩‍🦲♻😂☮
Yeah I'm gonna probably sit 3000 out unless my friend buys my gpu for a price that's good for me too. Otherwise I'll just go straight to 4000 lol that's probably when we'll have actual 4k and rtx out

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
a total waste of money.. you got a super..unfortuantly like history repeats itself. every 2 years a new card comes out that completely destroys previous gen. Since you already got a super .. i would skipp the 30 series and wait. I skipped the whole 20 series for good reason.

a total waste of money.. you got a super..unfortuantly like history repeats itself. every 2 years a new card comes out that completely destroys previous gen. Since you already got a super .. i would skipp the 30 series and wait. I skipped the whole 20 series for good reason.
Well not exactly a total waste since it was a new build not an upgrade, so I'm still pcgaming for the first time ever and I'm right at 1080p144

Does the 2070 give you the performance you want? If yes, keep it.
Just because there is something new coming doesn't mean you NEED it
True that's why I'm keeping it, but my friend is looking for a gpu and I still have some saved up cash leftover. If he decides to go for mine I'll probably just get the 3070, I bought this for $650, he'll be offering about $480, in October, and that's not so bad, 3070 here is $700, to me that seems like a good enough investment that'll last a few years longer

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Well not exactly a total waste since it was a new build not an upgrade, so I'm still pcgaming for the first time ever and I'm right at 1080p144
if you are only gaming at 1080p..it is total waste of money to upgrade to a 30 series card given you are currently on a 2080 super.. 30 series cards are ment for 1440 and 4k. if your display is 1080p. you are not reaping any type of rewards from switching to a 30 series card and you are better of not upgrading even to a 3070.

if you are only gaming at 1080p..it is total waste of money to upgrade to a 30 series card given you are currently on a 2080 super.. 30 series cards are ment for 1440 and 4k. if your display is 1080p. you are not reaping any type of rewards from switching to a 30 series card and you are better of not upgrading even to a 3070.
Well I'm on a 2070* super, and yeah I agree. I'll probably save up and get a 4K monitor and 4000 series gpu when it comes out