[SOLVED] Should I change my case or add more fans?

shayan2365

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Hi. This is my setup.
TUF b560m-e
i5 10400f tray+cool master hyper 212
Corsair cx650 bronze
*Asus Phoenix Rtx 3060 (SINGLE FAN GPU)
16 GB 3200mhz and samsung 970 plus 1tb SSD

My case only have 1 intake and 1 exhaust. When I'm playing high demanding games my gpu temp goes upto 85.6°c (I'm not gonna upgrade GPU anytime soon so I want it to last long) and the top-front of my case (sorry I'm not good with adjectives ill try to show it in a photo) becomes really hot (back of the case is cool) if I open side panel the temp goes down to 79°c and the case becomes less hot too (cpu temp never went more than 75°c).
Everything is so expensive in my country and I rather just get 2 fans than buy a new case but my case might be too small and if new fans don't solve the heating problem I will be stuck with 2 useless fans and I have to buy a case too. BTW I know have zero cable management I will get that fixed too.
For some reason I can't add photos so I'll just
paste imgur link.

View: https://imgur.com/a/OE2bUh1

I can buy up to 3 fans but I don't want my case to be loud. As you can see I can't add any rear fan. I can add 2 intake but the front of case is closed and I have no idea how its gonna suck air into case. Also I can add upper exhaust.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should probably take the plastic protector off the GPU, not really a cooling issue, but it is certainly starting to come off on its own and should have been removed when you got it.

You didn't list the case or show the whole thing. Hard to say. If the front is poorly ventilated additional fans won't help significantly.

You will not notice a significant increase in noise by adding fans, unless you add noisy fans and run them at full speed. If you pick up some decent case fans and control them with the motherboard, they will not make a big impact to the overall noise level.

shayan2365

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
You should probably take the plastic protector off the GPU, not really a cooling issue, but it is certainly starting to come off on its own and should have been removed when you got it.

You didn't list the case or show the whole thing. Hard to say. If the front is poorly ventilated additional fans won't help significantly.

You will not notice a significant increase in noise by adding fans, unless you add noisy fans and run them at full speed. If you pick up some decent case fans and control them with the motherboard, they will not make a big impact to the overall noise level.
It's a persian made case doesn't have any foreign sale. You can use google to translate this page. It has some pictures too.
https://green.ir/products/case/aria

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2 fans. You have room to add another fan at intake, I'd put the original intake inside at the top-rear and get some good radiator/static pressure fans for the front. You have limited air intake, so will need to create as much vacuum as possible, just to get some air moving. The bonus to static pressure fans is the exhaust, it's far stronger than an airflow fan. That'll force more air at the gpu instead of just dumping air into the case.

The other possibility is no more added fans, just move the intake fan to top-rear, so have No intakes at all, nothing but pure exhaust. Take out the pcie slot covers below the gpu. That way the gpu itself has almost unrestricted fresh air, and the exhaust fans create enough vacuum to pull the resultant gpu heat upwards and out.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But Im pretty sure my airflow is also bad.
I actually don't think that's the issue here.
The gpu cooler gets its air from beneath it: You've got air intake through the rear PCIe slot guards, and you've got that lower-front intake sending air to the cooler to pick up.
I don't see an upper-front intake doing much of anything for the gpu: the top half of the front panel is closed, plus a fan there is aimed more towards the cpu cooler.
The only other way I see to improve gpu airflow without spending any money is to remove the PCIe slot guards... I don't see that method changing gpu temperature much when the weakest link is the cooler.

shayan2365

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
I actually don't think that's the issue here.
The gpu cooler gets its air from beneath it: You've got air intake through the rear PCIe slot guards, and you've got that lower-front intake sending air to the cooler to pick up.
I don't see an upper-front intake doing much of anything for the gpu: the top half of the front panel is closed, plus a fan there is aimed more towards the cpu cooler.
The only other way I see to improve gpu airflow without spending any money is to remove the PCIe slot guards... I don't see that method changing gpu temperature much when the weakest link is the cooler.
How about top exhaust without adding any upper-front intake? You're sure it's GPU intake problem?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How about top exhaust without adding any upper-front intake?
Not that either. Images show that the Phoenix cooler is unlike most other open air models - the heatsink's fins are aimed front to back and not at the side like most.
These fins act as guides for the air to travel.
Most of the heat goes out the back for this card, and what does go out the front is going to get pulled in by the cpu cooler and exhausted out.

You're sure it's GPU intake problem?
I think it's neither an air intake nor exhaust problem, but the cooler itself isn't very effective.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But if it blows hot air to the right its reversed right?
Yes.
https://www.coolermaster.com/in/en-...ir-coolers/hyper-212-led-turbo-argb/#overview

I think the reverse Sickleflow fan on the dual fan models are causing some degree of confusion.
There was another thread where the user had a problem with cpu temperatures on a MA612 Stealth - it also has a reverse Sickleflow... well, it was supposed to, but it looks like the packaging had 2 regular Sickleflows in it instead.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, not the fan rotation, but the direction it's moving the air.

Normally, fans are like THIS:
iu

But the reverse Sickleflow is the opposite of that... unless Cooler Master made the same packaging mistake with you like what was done with the other person who was using the 612 Stealth.

Look for a pair of arrows on those fans like this:
iu

Ignore the arrow displaying fan rotation, and pay attention to the other one which displays air direction.
Make sure both fans are pointing towards the back of the PC.

shayan2365

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
No, not the fan rotation, but the direction it's moving the air.

Normally, fans are like THIS:
iu

But the reverse Sickleflow is the opposite of that... unless Cooler Master made the same packaging mistake with you like what was done with the other person who was using the 612 Stealth.

Look for a pair of arrows on those fans like this:
iu

Ignore the arrow displaying fan rotation, and pay attention to the other one which displays air direction.
Make sure both fans are pointing towards the back of the PC.
Couldn't find any arrows but now I think he messed up the fan. Can it be fixed without taking it off from cpu and just move the blades?

shayan2365

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Messed up the fan? How?
You turn the PC completely off, unplug the 2 fans, and remove them. Do the opposite to turn them on again. What step was slipped up on?
Sorry I meant he messed up the installation not the fan itself. Thanks I'll try get it fixed and tell you the results.

I also have another problem with my ssd samsung evo 970 plus 1tb. It's exactly this guy problem.

If I boot windows when pc is cold I get around 700mb/s but if I restart or stay in bios before booting I get like 3.5gb/s. Should I be worried about anything? I don't always need anything more than 700mb as long as the performance doesn't decrease over time it's fine for me. You suggest I make a new post in the storage section?