[SOLVED] Should I change my PSU after a short circuit?

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yesterday I play game on my PC while raining.
Suddenly thunder strike quite close to my house and I believe I hear an explosion, not sure from where.
I think a short circuit just happened.
I am sure it disrupting my PC, then turn it off.
I plug the power cable off the wall. I leave it and back after the rain gone.
Turns out my monitor is fine but my PC is dead, zero activity when I press the power switch.
Both my monitor and PC power plug to a same source.

At first I thought it is only my power supply dead.
Luckily I have a super old LGA775 motherboard.
I plug my PSU the the motherboard with no processor and memory.
And it works, therefore I believe my PSU is safe.

Now I can confirm that my motherboard and processor died.
I have two sticks of 8GB DDR4, one of them is died. Luckily, they replace it.

Now the question is, I bought new CPU and Motherboard (of course not a GPU)
My PSU is alive, but I am afraid something bad is actually happening inside my PSU even though it is running and at some point it will break my new CPU and mobo.
Do you guys think I should change my PSU or I am just being paranoid?

My PSU is Seasonic Core GC 500W, it is a 500W gold.

Reactions: Hello Guys
Solution
If the system's innards got fried after the lighting strike, you will most likely need to change that out too. We're also going to need to know what the rest of your parts in the build are to understand if you really are safe with a 500W unit or if you need more. Also, no UPS/surge protector? How old is the Seasonic unit in your build that got ruined?

Lutfij

Titan
If the system's innards got fried after the lighting strike, you will most likely need to change that out too. We're also going to need to know what the rest of your parts in the build are to understand if you really are safe with a 500W unit or if you need more. Also, no UPS/surge protector? How old is the Seasonic unit in your build that got ruined?

Reactions: halmahera
Solution

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi mate, thanks for the reply

The system is absolutely fine with 500W. Ryzen 5 3600, 2x8GB DDR4, and...... GTX 745 :)
Yes I am going to bought a stabiliser for power surge protector.
The Seasonic is pretty much new, I bough it back at December 2020.

So yea, you think I need to change it too. Thanks for the input man!