Should I get a 700W radiator or a 1000W radiator?

snowdude1492

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hey guys I'm planning my new liquid cooling system, but I'm not sure if I would need a 1000W radiator vs a 700W. I price is about 40% more for the 1000W and it takes up alot more space in my system.

I want it to be able to cool (not that i have all now but I'm future proofing):

North bridge (QPI @ 1.4 volts)

i7 920 @ 4.2GHz (vcore @ 1.4 volts)

2x 5970 OVERCLOCKED (I don't have them yet :p)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Umm there is no proper real watercooling radiator that is 700 or 1000 watts that keeps the Delta T to a reasonable level. I don't have a clue where your info is from.

You sir, need TWO watercooling loops.

And sir, you need to learn to walk watercooling before you can even speak it. Please start at the top of this forum and read the 'watercooling solved' post, and spend a week or so learning before you ask such outlandish questions.

No matter what, looking at your basic heatload requirements, your easily looking at $700-900 to watercool. The GPU blocks alone are close to $120 each.

1.4 volts on the CPU... okay...... About .125 above the max recommended by intel. You got a stack of CPUs?

snowdude1492

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have it at 1.375 at 70C 100% load for hours (i just said 1.4 just so I have some headroom, if you know what i'm saying. And thats only 0.025 not .125 volts over intel recomended)

The radiators:
700W: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=812
1000W: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=814

I put all I would need in a cart and it comes to ~$500 (but I wouldn't get both GPU water blocks immediatly, or even at the same time for that matter)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It funny. Years ago Koolance took some of their rads to a place where they could pump crazy, never in the real world amounts of air through the rads. It was panned as a HUGE FAIL by the community, and one reason Koolance is so hated by the WC community. Then they had the balls to show the Delta T temps and no one would EVER run their water at those temps.

Charts here:
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/includes/modules/image_browse.php?code=814&type=other

Koolance is doing better, they have the Laing pumps now, they have a decent CPU block, and do okay in the full cover GPU block market. They are still a very minor player, most educated WCers don't consider anything with the Koolance name, me included.

The OP just doesn't know yet, he's believing the marketers hype we know is a load of crap.

snowdude1492

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I do know that they are not well received my the guru's of WCing but Im on a budget, and it looked appealing. I've been doing research with your links, and Many people suggested D-tek, would I be correct in saying that?

And I should go with a 120.3 rad if I want to have head room for GPU's?

Thanks guys

snowdude1492

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I decided on a Sidwinder system. Is that a good choice? And according to the n00b guide it said for 3 blocks have a 120.3, and if I had 4 blocks they said have a 120.4.

Would you say that is correct or do you think I could get away with a 120.3 rad.
and for both loops, does that mean I would use 2 rads instead of getting a faster pump and inserting a delta?

Thanks

1. You will need 2 separate loops. One for CPU and one for GPU.

2. No need to cool the NB. Since the CPU has an IMC the NB dosen't do much now.

And according to the n00b guide it said for 3 blocks have a 120.3, and if I had 4 blocks they said have a 120.4.
That is not accurate. An OCed i7 can put out about 300W of heat. So just to cool that you will need a minimum of 320 (aka 120.3).

4. This MCR320 is just under $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108098&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Water+Cooling-_-Swiftech+Inc.-_-35108098
It's a good rad.

5. You need to spend a few more days on doing more research. Conumdrum's guide is a good start.

6. To cool what you need (GPU & CPU), you need a budget of ~$500.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Here is the issue. You'll need a 120x3 sized rad for just the CPU due to your abitious overclock goals. You do NOT want the GPU's in the same watercooling loop, you just don't. Your GPUs will make TONS of heat and will increase the water temps to the point that your CPU at yor planned overclocks will fail terribly.

You need a 120x3 sized rad for just the GPUs.

So, you need TWO rads, TWO pumps, TWO resiviours, a CPU block, and at least ONE GPU block. And both completly seperate from each other.

You should go with full cover blocks if your going SLI.

This for sure isn't a budget rig. You'll need top notch parts to cool it.

Rads $60+ times two.
Pumps $70+ times two
CPU block, you need the best to reach your OC goal. $70
GPU block $120 times two.

Add another $100- 150 for tubing, reses clamps, barbs, fans etc.

Please spend a few week learning and dig deep into all the links and guides provided.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Sidewinder doesn't make watercooling systems. They get top nothch parts and put them in a kit. The Dtek is an older block and I don't think it would perform well at your OC goals.

He means TWO loops. Like my rig. You buy the same stuff I have you'll be just fine. Only the GPU blocks would be different.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
if i were spending $900 on cooling id go for a custom made SS you could expect a heat load of 300w to be at -35c.

if your only goal is for overclocking and not for noise then running gfx cards with the fans is fine as you wont see much of an increase in speed with water.

nice wc loop's conumdrum but my only gripe is ure pump :D i had this one :D,

http://www.alphacool.com/shop/Pumps/Pumps-Alphacool/AP1510-centrifugal-pump-12Volts--3317.html

was damn loud but the pump was so powerfull it could cause the tubing to leak at the barbs if they weren't on real tight

snowdude1492

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
LoL! I will certainly.

Here is another one comming stait at ya:
What is a good GPH/GPM/LPH/LPM for the rad/ blocks

I saw the graphs and it shows that a higher flow increases the heat dissipated. But I heard (no graphs or data, just word of mouth) that somtimes the flow could be too fast for the blocks. I personally doubt this, just with my common sense. But since I'm no expert, definantly :), what do you guys think, or know :) ?

Thanks for all the help again.