Apr 7, 2020
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
And Crucial MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
PSU: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

So I built this computer today and it was running really well. I played the new Resident Evil 3 for about ~45 mins when i got a "video tdr failure" error. I think this was because of my PSU, not sure though.

the RX 5700 XT recommends at least a 600W PSU but I read online that they only recommend this to cover their backside.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cetinl/is_a_500w_power_supply_enough_for_a_rx_5700_xt/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1082003-psu-recommendation-wattage-for-ryzen-9-3900xrx-5700-xt/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...enough-for-sapphire-nitro-rx-5700-xt.3530837/

It seems like alot of people agree that you dont need more that a quality 500W ~ 550W PSU for a 5700 xt
However maybe because I also have a Ryzen 7 that changes things.

Should I get a better PSU with a higher wattage (im thinking a 650W)? would that solve my issue or would it be a waste of money?

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, it would be a good idea to get a better power supply. And by "better" I don't specifically mean just "moar watts", although that would probably be wise as well.

For the 5700 XT you should be targeting a good quality 550-650w unit regardless of any other hardware considerations aside from overclocking. If you are overclocking the CPU or graphics card, then you probably want something that is 650-750w.

Here are my recommendations.

Yes, it would be a good idea to get a better power supply. And by "better" I don't specifically mean just "moar watts", although that would probably be wise as well.

For the 5700 XT you should be targeting a good quality 550-650w unit regardless of any other hardware considerations aside from overclocking. If you are overclocking the CPU or graphics card, then you probably want something that is 650-750w.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
A 500w BR having issues powering a 5700XT isn't surprising. However the 5700 series does have a few driver issues so you may want to explore that route first.

Personally I wouldn't get anything less than a quality 650w PSU for a RX 5700XT, transients on that card(especially if overclocking) could potentially trip the ocp on even a good 550w psu. It's not as bad as the Vega 56 and 64(was tripping good 650w psus) but should still be considered for overall stability.

A high quality 550w may work and may not have problems but why not spend an extra couple bucks now rather than having a possible headache later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkbreeze
Apr 7, 2020

Thanks! your link helped, i'm gonna try an Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750W. Hopefully this fixes my issues.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Give a read to the guide that the first link in my sig brings up. It's very eye-opening, and, in my view, a must-read when PSU selection is at issue.

I'd be less concerned about any driver issues with the Navi cards. My son's done something on the order of 10 days of gaming (a few hours each day) on his PC. I upgraded him from an RX 580 to an RX 5700 (non-XT). We:
  • Used DDU in safe mode to uninstall the existing drivers completely.
  • Shut down.
  • Removed RX 580
  • Installed RX 5700
  • Booted up
  • Immediately installed the latest WHQL Adrenalin drivers (Adrenalin version 20.2.2, released March 5)

No problems whatsoever.

I've never tried the optional 20.4.1 drivers, though (released April 2).