[SOLVED] Should I get i7-7700K or get mobo bundle Asus ROG Strix Z390-E and i5-9600KF?

kmlinantud

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
I have currently:

ASUS ROG Strix H270F
i5-7500
NVDIA GTX 1070

I would like to upgrade my CPU to i7-7700K. But my friend says it should upgrade to a 8th or 9th gen since 7700K is already old.
I was looking at Asus ROG Strix Z390-E and i5-9600KF? Since my current mobo doesnt support 8th gen and up CPU anymore so I need to buy another mobo.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

I mainly use my PC for gaming:
CSGO
PUBG
APEX
R6
Warzone

Solution
The motherboard has certain chipsets, for pcie, Sata, USB and a host of others. The drivers for those are loaded into windows/drivers. When you swap to a different motherboard, it'll require drivers for the different chipsets. Sometimes it works out, uses either the same or very different drivers, sometimes it's similar but not quite same. When that happens, you get driver conflicts as windows gets confused, not knowing which to use, or ones that are partially overwritten etc. Becomes a real mess. And you'll not find out where except by luck.

So it's always best to start over, a fresh Install of windows, fresh motherboard drivers and avoid any headaches or hiccups. Backup any data you want saved, then start over.

kmlinantud

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
By going 7700k you mainly gain hyperthreading and a higher stock speed. Your motherboard does not support overclocking. The current i5's are a poor choice in my opinion compare to similar priced Ryzen setups. Are you willing to go with AMD?
wow that was quick! Thank you!

Im okay with AMD. By using AMD, i dont need to change GPU correct? Do i also need to reinstall my OS?

what’s your recommendation that i should get?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard has certain chipsets, for pcie, Sata, USB and a host of others. The drivers for those are loaded into windows/drivers. When you swap to a different motherboard, it'll require drivers for the different chipsets. Sometimes it works out, uses either the same or very different drivers, sometimes it's similar but not quite same. When that happens, you get driver conflicts as windows gets confused, not knowing which to use, or ones that are partially overwritten etc. Becomes a real mess. And you'll not find out where except by luck.

So it's always best to start over, a fresh Install of windows, fresh motherboard drivers and avoid any headaches or hiccups. Backup any data you want saved, then start over.

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution
wow that was quick! Thank you!

Im okay with AMD. By using AMD, i dont need to change GPU correct? Do i also need to reinstall my OS?

what’s your recommendation that i should get?

a hardware change like this would be like moving your hard drive to another computer so expect a lot of problems if you do not reinstall windows. depening on the version of windows you have you may need to buy another copy of windows