[SOLVED] Should I pair a 1440p monitor with an RTX 3060 6 GB on a laptop ?

Dec 12, 2021
Hi,
This is my first post here and I think you guys would be really able to help me decide on this thing. So, I have the gaming laptop Asus Rog Strix G15 with the specs:
Native res: 1080p
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
16 GB RAM
RTX 3060 6 GB

I want to buy a good quality monitor because I also need to do coding, which in my opinion, the text looks pixelated if I switch to my current 1080p external monitor. So, to settle for an optimal solution, I thought going for 1440p/2K/QHD would be best solution because I can do decent gaming and also the rendered texts will look somewhat good in 1440p (considering 27 inch or lower display). What worries me is that how much performance hit I'm going to get? Currently, in most games I get 90-100+ fps on average in my laptop display. In RDR2, I got around 80-90 on avg. Can I expect at least 60fps if I switch to a 2K/QHD monitor? Also, will 6GB VRAM be enough for most games in QHD display?

Solution
1440p is a walk in the park with those specs. Can test it now with dsr factors in NvidiaCP and choose 1440 res in game for it to downscale which gpu strain is equivalent to native 1440p. Could turn off anti aliasing as well at that res and gain more fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1440p is a walk in the park with those specs. Can test it now with dsr factors in NvidiaCP and choose 1440 res in game for it to downscale which gpu strain is equivalent to native 1440p. Could turn off anti aliasing as well at that res and gain more fps.

Solution