[SOLVED] Should i replace my hard drive or add a new one?

Sep 29, 2021
Hello guys, so lately my pc has been choking a little, giving a lot of memory management and store exception blue screens.
I figured out it was a hardware problem which the hard drive seems to be starting to fail, it would be nice to buy something to solve it but i still don't feel too confident on replacing the hard drive by myself
Someone on the software forum told having an external hard dive SSD could solve the problem, does anyone know if i buy and add an ssd then left the hdd still on the machine the blue screens would stop? Or do i need to to take the hard drive off the computer for it to stop?

Solution
Chkdsk haven’t specified what was the issue was, it only said there were two corrupted files on the hard drive then proceeded to auto repair the hard disk for an hour, it didnt fix the blue screens.

Most of the times what will happen is that ill try to install something on the drive and it will simply die on me and then restart, it does look like a hard drive problem at this point.
Then yes, it may be time to replace.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys, so lately my pc has been choking a little, giving a lot of memory management and store exception blue screens.
I figured out it was a hardware problem which the hard drive seems to be starting to fail, it would be nice to buy something to solve it but i still don't feel too confident on replacing the hard drive by myself
Someone on the software forum told having an external hard dive SSD could solve the problem, does anyone know if i buy and add an ssd then left the hdd still on the machine the blue screens would stop? Or do i need to to take the hard drive off the computer for it to stop?
Adding an external does not fix a failing OS drive. If that is indeed the issue.

Please give us a full rundown of ALL the parts in this.
And how you determined it was the hard drive.

Lutfij

Titan
I think the BSoD's are a sign that your OS is in need of attention. I'd start by listing the specs to your build. Then check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard.

Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Then we can move forward with recommending parts if the system needs it, otherwise your solution might be as simple as reinstalling the OS and manually installing relevant drivers for your platform, without spending money.

Sep 29, 2021
I think the BSoD's are a sign that your OS is in need of attention. I'd start by listing the specs to your build. Then check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard.

Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Then we can move forward with recommending parts if the system needs it, otherwise your solution might be as simple as reinstalling the OS and manually installing relevant drivers for your platform, without spending money.
Adding an external does not fix a failing OS drive. If that is indeed the issue.

So my computer has an American megatrends 05/07/2017 bios and my specs are.

Intel pentium G4560
Asus motherboard (sorry i cant seem to find the specifications of it)
16gbs crucial ram
Nvidia gtx 1050
And my hard drive is an Seagate barracudo of 1tb of storage space

Since im new at pc fixing i may be understanding it wrong, but if by reinstalling the OS you mean reinstalling windows, i had to do so via the pendrive a couple times in the last months and i dont seem to have fixed, it only made it worse, that made me think it was the HDD

Sep 29, 2021

So what happened is everytime i try running a game or specially installing something or opening windows explorer i end up having a store exception blue screen

Coming from other people with the same issue they told it probably was a hard drive issue, which was the reason why i came into this conclusion

I ran prime95, chkdsk, memory diagnostics and speccy, and all they seem to find are memory issues, the temperatures are normal, all around 30° Celcius, but the pc is making a lot of clicking noises

Sep 29, 2021
What specific "issues"?
Chkdsk haven’t specified what was the issue was, it only said there were two corrupted files on the hard drive then proceeded to auto repair the hard disk for an hour, it didnt fix the blue screens.

Most of the times what will happen is that ill try to install something on the drive and it will simply die on me and then restart, it does look like a hard drive problem at this point.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Sep 29, 2021

But as you said, if the hard drive is indeed the issue, which ill calmly look at it before doing, it has to be replaced, i cant just add another one, correct?

Sep 29, 2021

Oh okay then, thank you mate, ill start looking into to see what is most optimal into my build