Question Should i switch off the PSU whenever i need to plug off the pc?

Jul 13, 2019
So, i got a new computer which has an on/off switch on the psu, so i was wondering, when i shut off my computer and i need to unplug it (thunder storm,installing a component in it etc) should i first switch off the psu whenever i unplug it or should i just unplug it after i shut it down, i have heard that switching the psu on and off frequently can damage it but also when you instantly unplug it after shut down you abruptly cut off some tiny power to the computer that keeps the little cables lights on so im confused as to which is the safe way of unplugging your pc.

thank you for your time

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
For PC maintenance, no need to unplug the PSU once the switch is thrown. Better to leave the system grounded by being plugged in.
Now when it comes to thunderstorms/lightening, you might want to unplug the PSU to keep any possible high voltage surge as far away from the PSU and the PC as possible.

Switching the PSU off is a good idea, if you are planning to unplug the unit.

If the PSU is switched-on when connecting or disconnecting the unit from the power mains, "chattering" upon cord cap insertion or removal can stress PSU components.

The switch transition is quick, and positive, and is less subject to a repeated off-and-on condition during operation. In that way, any rapid connection and disconnection at the receptacle will be blocked.

Jul 13, 2019
+1^
For PC maintenance, no need to unplug the PSU once the switch is thrown. Better to leave the system grounded by being plugged in.
Now when it comes to thunderstorms/lightening, you might want to unplug the PSU to keep any possible high voltage surge as far away from the PSU and the PC as possible.
so if for example i want to install some RAM its better to just only switch off the psu?

TRENDING THREADS