[SOLVED] Should I undervolt my RX 570 for better Thermal/Fan noise peformance?

Jan 7, 2020
Hi,

So I have a Gigabyte RX 570 4GB, and often when playing the Witcher 3 it will reach 85-89*c @100% utilisation and thermal throttle from 1244 mhz Core (which is stock) to around 1150 or below, and it is noticeable in the framerate as it will dip below 60fps. It is also quite noisy. I bought this GPU brand new 2 months ago.

My qustion is, would it be safe to undervolt my RX 570 using MSI Afterburner, and would it cause any decrease in performance?

I'm using a case with one fan that is exhaust at the back. It seems to be better than positive airflow into the case. To give you a better idea of the type of airflow I have in my case: View: https://imgur.com/a/4DPZD18
( I do have the side panel on to reduce dust when using the pc.

My Specs:

CPU: i5 4440 @3.1ghz
MB: Ipm87-mp
16GB DDR3 @1333mhz (Dual Channel)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 570 4GB 4G (19.10.3 Driver Version)

Last edited:
Solution
So would this case be a good choice? I'm a little confused on how I would connect this to my PSU, as I'd rather do that then used a 3 pin fan spliter (Considering it has 4 fans). I have a Thermaltake Smart DPS G 600 Watt PSU and there doesn't seem to be a way to connect it to the PSU?

I appreciate your help.
Some fans can be powered by molex. They can also be powered by the 3 pin fan header on your motherboard. If they can be powered by molex, you can do that. If they only have a 3 pin connector, you will need to get a 3 pin splitter.
That case will work, but that’s really expensive. I’d recommend going with a cheaper case like the deepcool matrexx 30, cooler master master box q300l, pretty much anything cheaper and...

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hi,

So I have a Gigabyte RX 570 4GB, and often when playing the Witcher 3 it will reach 85-89*c @100% utilisation and thermal throttle from 1244 mhz Core (which is stock) to around 1150 or below, and it is noticeable in the framerate as it will dip below 60fps. It is also quite noisy. I bought this GPU brand new 2 months ago.

My qustion is, would it be safe to undervolt my RX 570 using MSI Afterburner, and would it cause any decrease in performance?

I'm using a case with one fan that is exhaust at the back. It seems to be better than positive airflow into the case. To give you a better idea of the type of airflow I have in my case: View: https://imgur.com/a/4DPZD18
( I do have the side panel on to reduce dust when using the pc.

My Specs:

CPU: i5 4440 @3.1ghz
MB: Ipm87-mp
16GB DDR3 @1333mhz (Dual Channel)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 570 4GB 4G (19.10.3 Driver Version)
It will cause a decrease in performance. Is there a warranty on the card? If so, report to Gigabyte what’s happening and see if it’s normal. Undervoltimg can reduce noise and use less power, as well as run cooler, but again, you will see a bit of a performance drop.
Edit: if you can update your drivers, try that.

Jan 7, 2020
It will cause a decrease in performance. Is there a warranty on the card? If so, report to Gigabyte what’s happening and see if it’s normal. Undervoltimg can reduce noise and use less power, as well as run cooler, but again, you will see a bit of a performance drop.
Edit: if you can update your drivers, try that.
I would, but the latest drivers cause worse performance in games and a lot more stuttering. AMD's 2020 Adrenalin drivers aren't that good, at least from my experience.
And I have 3 years on warranty as well, but I have no experience in dealing with Warranty.

Would having better airflow/different case help with GPU temperatures?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I would, but the latest drivers cause worse performance in games and a lot more stuttering. AMD's 2020 Adrenalin drivers aren't that good, at least from my experience.
And I have 3 years on warranty as well, but I have no experience in dealing with Warranty.

Would having better airflow/different case help with GPU temperatures?
Possibly. Do you have any intake fans? How big is the exhaust fan?
Edit: if you got a case with a bottom mounted PSU the PSU could stop sucking air from the inside of the case too. Also a new case could have more intake and exhaust fans

Jan 7, 2020
Possibly. Do you have any intake fans? How big is the exhaust fan?
Edit: if you got a case with a bottom mounted PSU the PSU could stop sucking air from the inside of the case too. Also a new case could have more intake and exhaust fans
Nope, no intake fans, only the exhaust fan as shown in the imgur link. It is the maxium fan size the case will support. I got this pc second hand (except the rx 570).

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Here is a photo of it online, as far as I know it only has one power slot for the exhaust fan, which is listed as "sys fan", and located near the back where the CPU power socket is.

Keep in mind too that this case is not the original case for the motherboard.
That is a standard micro-ATX motherboard. It will work in any case that supports micro ATX. You could get a fan powered by molex or you could get a 3 pin fan splitter. A case swap will for sure improve thermal performance.

Jan 7, 2020
That is a standard micro-ATX motherboard. It will work in any case that supports micro ATX. You could get a fan powered by molex or you could get a 3 pin fan splitter. A case swap will for sure improve thermal performance.
So would this case be a good choice? I'm a little confused on how I would connect this to my PSU, as I'd rather do that then used a 3 pin fan spliter (Considering it has 4 fans). I have a Thermaltake Smart DPS G 600 Watt PSU and there doesn't seem to be a way to connect it to the PSU?

I appreciate your help.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

I appreciate your help.
Some fans can be powered by molex. They can also be powered by the 3 pin fan header on your motherboard. If they can be powered by molex, you can do that. If they only have a 3 pin connector, you will need to get a 3 pin splitter.
That case will work, but that’s really expensive. I’d recommend going with a cheaper case like the deepcool matrexx 30, cooler master master box q300l, pretty much anything cheaper and then just add fans.
Another note: if you get a fan that has to be plugged into 4 little pins (unlike the 4 big pins on molex) it will not work
I hope I explained everything well enough. Do you want a list of good cases and fans? I can make one for you

Solution
Jan 7, 2020
That case will work, but that’s really expensive. I’d recommend going with a cheaper case like the deepcool matrexx 30, cooler master master box q300l, pretty much anything cheaper and then just add fans.
Another note: if you get a fan that has to be plugged into 4 little pins (unlike the 4 big pins on molex) it will not work
I hope I explained everything well enough. Do you want a list of good cases and fans? I can make one for you
Sure :) That would be awesome, thank you.

Keep in mind the case I listed is in Australian Dollars, so it equals to about $73 USD.

I just realised my PSU does have some peripheral cables like this , is the larger one a molex cable?

You've helped clear up a lot of things, thank you :)

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Sure :) That would be awesome, thank you.

Keep in mind the case I listed is in Australian Dollars, so it equals to about $73 USD.

I just realised my PSU does have some peripheral cables like this , is the larger one a molex cable?

You've helped clear up a lot of things, thank you :)
No problem!
Those are molex cables, se we can use a molex fan.
Even though it is in AUD, that's still a bit high for a case... in my opinion, especially for a build like yours that's on the cheaper side of things.
Here are some good cases and why I chose them:

Deepcool Matrexx 30, This thing is the master of budget cases. It has one pre-installed fan in the back than can be powered by molex or 3 pin. I've worked in this case twice and I love it.

Masterbox Q300L, a nice little micro-atx case. This one can hold a bunch more fans than the Matrexx 30. I've never worked in this one, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Fractal Design Focus G, Apparently has 3 fans pre-installed. Never worked in this myself, but have heard good things about it.

Here's a Fan I'd recommend for the Matrexx 30 or Q300l
Again, you may need a fan splitter for other cases.

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
I can also mod your case, you can make a hole or 2 (2 is better) in the bottom or side panel and install 2 intake fans there.
Are you using the stock fan curve? I have a rx 580 and for mine the stock curve lets my GPU easily get 80 °C

Jan 7, 2020
No problem!
Those are molex cables, se we can use a molex fan.
Even though it is in AUD, that's still a bit high for a case... in my opinion, especially for a build like yours that's on the cheaper side of things.
Here are some good cases and why I chose them:

Deepcool Matrexx 30, This thing is the master of budget cases. It has one pre-installed fan in the back than can be powered by molex or 3 pin. I've worked in this case twice and I love it.

Masterbox Q300L, a nice little micro-atx case. This one can hold a bunch more fans than the Matrexx 30. I've never worked in this one, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Fractal Design Focus G, Apparently has 3 fans pre-installed. Never worked in this myself, but have heard good things about it.

Here's a Fan I'd recommend for the Matrexx 30 or Q300l
Again, you may need a fan splitter for other cases.
Thank you so much for these recommendations :) I appreciate it a lot.
I can also mod your case, you can make a hole or 2 (2 is better) in the bottom or side panel and install 2 intake fans there.
Are you using the stock fan curve? I have a rx 580 and for mine the stock curve lets my GPU easily get 80 °C
But yeah I may try this as well!! I'm not sure what to use to cut my case, but it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new case. And yeah, I'm using a stock fan curve - could you recommend any custom fan speeds?

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Thank you so much for these recommendations :) I appreciate it a lot.

But yeah I may try this as well!! I'm not sure what to use to cut my case, but it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new case. And yeah, I'm using a stock fan curve - could you recommend any custom fan speeds?
The curve that I use for mine when using it 100%, P1 and P2 doesn't really matter, P3: fan speed 64% to 63 °C, P4: 72 - 78, and P5: 80% - 85°C, using wattman / radeon software.
Btw, I make new game profiles for using the custom fan curve, as I don't know how to make a fan curve and use 0 rpm mode at the same time. Keeping checking your temperatures and fan speeds while gaming, Ctrl + shift + O is the shortcut, and keep change the fan curve until suits you.
Sometimes after you close a game, the fan curve can be copied to the Global Tuning configurations, just deactivate advanced control and enable Zero RPM.

You definitely can undervolt your card, normally you will have a pump in performance as the temperatures will decrease, however how much you can push your card will depend much of how lucky you got with your chip. There are a lot of tutorials in YouTube, it's easy.

You can use a jig saw for the holes, the panel can be a little tricky, but in the bottom is very easy.