Question Should I upgrade my i5-12400 to an i7-14700 ?

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
Hello Experts,
So I am using this PC as my daily driver. I do gaming (1440p) Most AAA games and CS2 and work on this. I work on mostly as Shopify Developer I use photoshop, browsers couple of more tools and Adobe Premier lightly.

Right now everything is going ok on my end, I won't complain but its kind of bothering me to think of a cpu upgrade from my i5 to i7, will that really be worth it in the long run? I don't have any plans to change the GPU in the next 2 years.

In my country, if I sell my i5-12400 I will get $150 and an i7-14700 will cost me around $470, plus I will have to get a new cooler.

Please help me out , I really appreciate that. I dont have money issues but also I don't want to spend and then regret it . Thank you!

My Rig:
i5-12400
Gigabyte Aorus Pro B660M
Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE V2 Black
Adata XPG Spectrix (16X2) 32GB 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12GB GDDR6X
Antec HCG 850 Watts 80+ Gold
Montech AIR 100 ARGB Micro ATX Case Black

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
upgrade from my i5 to i7 will that really be worth it in the long run?

Yes, a little bit. your photoshop and premier will benefit from the extra cores, threads and clock speed from the i7 youre going to upgrade to. this will benefit you in terms of performance when it comes to those 2 applications, and if youre planning on using other similar apps, those will also experience a performance boost too. the same with games as well.

keeping that aside, next up is cooling. the i7 processors of the 14th generation produce a lot of heat, and significantly more than your previous one. were talking about 75-80°C in game, while adequately cooled. Stress testing will result in ~95+. the fact that I mentioned this, is because this is under suitable and propper cooling conditions, and if not done properly, you could end up with high temps and throttling, so do consider that and purchase a good cooling solution as well.

compatibility wise, I didnt see any issues, but updating your BIOS could be necessary for the new CPU.

your upgrade should serve you good for years to come, and even with a new GPU upgrade, I don't think there would be any sort of bottleneck (CPU wise) in even the next 1-2 generations

Reactions: mraazx
I7-14700 would be a very good upgrade.
It is a 65w processor ( unlike the 14700K) that does not need exotic cooling. It includes a RH1 laminar flow cooler.
Your existing cooler should also be ok.

Do not be tempted to save $20 and buy the i7-14700F.
Having integrated graphics will save you if you should ever have a discrete graphics card issue.
As a plus, you get quick sync.

If you have the funds, go ahead and upgrade.
If you do not, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
I7-14700 would be a very good upgrade.
It is a 65w processor ( unlike the 14700K) that does not need exotic cooling. It includes a RH1 laminar flow cooler.
Your existing cooler should also be ok.

Do not be tempted to save $20 and buy the i7-14700F.
Having integrated graphics will save you if you should ever have a discrete graphics card issue.
As a plus, you get quick sync.

If you have the funds, go ahead and upgrade.
If you do not, you will forever be second guessing yourself.
Really appreciate your answer and yes I was thinking F version then realized it can be a life saver if I have any issues in future because I also work on my pc not only gaming. I could not find any reviews on i7 14700 , everywhere only k version. I am thinking to get DeepCool LT520 240mm RGB as my case doesnt support 360 radiatior. I kind of liked the looks of the cooler

Hello Experts,
So I am using this PC as my daily driver. I do gaming (1440p) Most AAA games and CS2 and work on this. I work on mostly as Shopify Developer I use photoshop, browsers couple of more tools and Adobe Premier lightly.

Right now everything is going ok on my end, I won't complain but its kind of bothering me to think of a cpu upgrade from my i5 to i7, will that really be worth it in the long run? I don't have any plans to change the GPU in the next 2 years.

In my country, if I sell my i5-12400 I will get $150 and an i7-14700 will cost me around $470, plus I will have to get a new cooler.

Please help me out , I really appreciate that. I dont have money issues but also I don't want to spend and then regret it . Thank you!

My Rig:
i5-12400
Gigabyte Aorus Pro B660M
Hey there,

Hmmm. I'm not sure some of the advice offered is that great.

Yes, you would get a bump in performance with slightly faster single core and multicore scores. But not like you might think or has been suggested.

As you've said, your don't have any issues right now.

At $470 even with selling your current it's not good value IMO for what you'll get from the 14th Gen CPU. Don't forget the 14th Gen are practically identical in terms of performance. They've been so badly reviewed, and don't offer good value at all.

I'd stick with your current setup, and go for Arrow Lake CPU's when they come out.

The 14700 non K model is newly released it is not surprising that there is little info out on it.
Here is one article I found on it:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming-tech/intel-core-i7-14700-specs-availability-price

I am very much against a aio cooler when a good air cooler will do the job.
I suggest you try the stock cooler first, then decide if you need more.
Your case is an excellent one for air cooling.
If you wanted top air, then the noctua NH-D15s would fit your case and the cooling would be just as effective as theLT520.
You should know that aio coolers do not last forever.
The mechanical pump will in time fail or get clogged. Air will intrude through the tubes making the aio useless. Plan on perhaps 5 years before replacement.
On the rgb "bling" , that is a personal choice.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
Hey there,

Hmmm. I'm not sure some of the advice offered is that great.

Yes, you would get a bump in performance with slightly faster single core and multicore scores. But not like you might think or has been suggested.

As you've said, your don't have any issues right now.

At $470 even with selling your current it's not good value IMO for what you'll get from the 14th Gen CPU. Don't forget the 14th Gen are practically identical in terms of performance. They've been so badly reviewed, and don't offer good value at all.

I'd stick with your current setup, and go for Arrow Lake CPU's when they come out.
Hello , I also thought about that Arrow Lake might come later this year. But the thing is it will be troublesome for me to change the whole setup as I have to get new motherboard , ram and processor as an assumption lets say

i7 - $480
B860 mobo - $350
New DDR5 ram - $150

Lets say $980 and that time if I sell my setup I will hardly get $250 for everything and its kind of hassle for me to sell all 3 items
Around $700 I have to add I know there will be some improvement with new architecture but I also know I have to spend more in other hand if I get a i7 14700 now I think it will last me 4-5 year then I may have to think of an upgrade . As I have seen i7 always tens to last 4-5 year then be becomes slow except 10/11th gen

Last year I had 3060ti and a 1080p display then I got 1440p and changed my 3060ti to 3080ti had a good value deal on that

So if I get i7 now and get next gen RTX 5000 series gpu in 2026 I think I will have better value

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
The 14700 non K model is newly released it is not surprising that there is little info out on it.
Here is one article I found on it:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming-tech/intel-core-i7-14700-specs-availability-price

I am very much against a aio cooler when a good air cooler will do the job.
I suggest you try the stock cooler first, then decide if you need more.
Your case is an excellent one for air cooling.
If you wanted top air, then the noctua NH-D15s would fit your case and the cooling would be just as effective as theLT520.
You should know that aio coolers do not last forever.
The mechanical pump will in time fail or get clogged. Air will intrude through the tubes making the aio useless. Plan on perhaps 5 years before replacement.
On the rgb "bling" , that is a personal choi

I know Air coolers are best but noctua products are not available in my country very rare also aesthetically I prefer AIO also it comes with 5 year warranty

I have also Deepcool AK620 Digital in my mind and I might also go for this just wondering if it would fit into my casing or not

On cooling, a 65w processor does not need exotic cooling.
The supplied stock RH1 cooler will work. It comes with RGB lighting:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089189/processors.html
I use one with a i9-12900K in a small case (lian li PC-Q08) and it does the job.
Try that first. The RH1 is a quality piece of kit.

Do some research on your own.
Google is your friend.

Look up the specs for your case.
This shows that it can support a 161mm tall cooler:
https://www.montechpc.com/en/products_detail.php?nid=225
look up the specs for the AK620; it shows 162mm.
https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...With-Status-Display-1700-AM5/2023/17202.shtml
Measurements are never exact and I think you would be ok.
It is ok for a cooler to touch the side of the case if need be.
If available to you the thermaltake peerless assassin is a great buy:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
On cooling, a 65w processor does not need exotic cooling.
The supplied stock RH1 cooler will work. It comes with RGB lighting:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089189/processors.html
I use one with a i9-12900K in a small case (lian li PC-Q08) and it does the job.
Try that first. The RH1 is a quality piece of kit.

Do some research on your own.
Google is your friend.

Look up the specs for your case.
This shows that it can support a 161mm tall cooler:
https://www.montechpc.com/en/products_detail.php?nid=225
look up the specs for the AK620; it shows 162mm.
https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...With-Status-Display-1700-AM5/2023/17202.shtml
Measurements are never exact and I think you would be ok.
It is ok for a cooler to touch the side of the case if need be.
If available to you the thermaltake peerless assassin is a great buy:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se
Thank you I will try that Pearless Assasin is actually cheap also available . I appreciate your reply

Hello Experts,

My Rig:
i5-12400
Gigabyte Aorus Pro B660M
It would be hard to imagine your current rig being even borderline 'inadequate' for the needs/uses you cited; I'd save your money until you decide your rig is at least nearing 'inadequate'...

Maybe 9000 series Ryzen or 15th gen Intel will catch your attention...

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
It would be hard to imagine your current rig being even borderline 'inadequate' for the needs/uses you cited; I'd save your money until you decide your rig is at least nearing 'inadequate'...

Maybe 9000 series Ryzen or 15th gen Intel will catch your attention...
I guess you do have a point though considering the jump will be very high I am hoping in 15th gen or Ryzen 9000

Latest posts