[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my pc, or not?

Oct 31, 2019
This is my first post so if it's not the best, I tried. I built this computer over 4 years ago, and I have updated it since. I added a new graphics card, and more ram back 2 years ago. I am currently looking to maybe update since my fps counter has slowly been going down. I used to be able to run Rainbow Six: Siege at a good 144 fps, now I am lucky to get 90 fps. I mostly just hover around 80-85. I just want to know if it's my hardware, or maybe just games becoming more hardware depended. Any help is appreciated.

My current PC build;
CPU: Intel i7-4970k
MB: ASRock z97 Extreme6
Memory: 2x G.Skill X Series 16 (2x8gb) - so a total of 32gb
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6 gb SC
PSU: Corsair RMi 750 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Stock
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

My (maybe) build:
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 gb (2x 16gb) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung 970 1 tb M.2-2280 nvme
Case: NZXT H510
GPU: Same from previous build
PSU: Same from previous buld

So, I know the second build is probably better than the first. I just want to know if I am going to see a massive improvement or if I just wipe my current computer and start fresh. Like I stated any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
What has changed since all was well?
If you are using the stock cooler, perhaps it has come loose.
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is mounted well.

Have you overclocked?
If so there is some 25% better cpu performance available.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

On your maybe build, 9900K is not needed for best gaming...

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
To me it seems impossible to tell anyone IF they should upgrade or not, so I like my version: you should always upgrade if you can. But there are some factors to consider. How much of a building enthusiast are you? What priority is an upgrade to you in your life? What are your means for upgrading in financial terms? Do you have an expectation for where you want to be with your build versus what you can necessarily do and how determined are you to get where you want to be with the build? If you can give an unquestionable answer to each of these questions I think you'll know where you want to be at :)

I think you can easily go with a more powerful GPU in your current system. I think your current system has plenty of memory and the CPU is fast enough for current games and you have a decent power supply.

Also, I don't think you are going to see much improvement with the new system if you stick with your current GPU.

What has changed since all was well?
If you are using the stock cooler, perhaps it has come loose.
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is mounted well.

Have you overclocked?
If so there is some 25% better cpu performance available.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

On your maybe build, 9900K is not needed for best gaming. The extra 8 threads will hardly be used.
And...hyper212 is inadequate as a cooler.
I would suggest a i7-9700K and a top air cooler like the noctua nh-D15s or a 280.360 aio cooler.

Solution