Question Should I upgrade to Gsync on Freesync monitor?

Hi, so this is my system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7 GHz
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-2666 MHz OC to 3000 MHz
Storage: WD Blue 1 TB and WD Green 2.5" 240 GB SSD
Video Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6 GB(not sure if it's AMP Edition or not)
Power Supply: Corsair CX550
Case: Cooler Master Lite 5

Right now, I have an Asus VP228H, which is a 1080p 60 Hz panel, although it tears at 60 Hz refresh rate and runs better at 59 Hz(don't know if that's normal, still kind of a noob about monitors). My question is, with these specs, should I upgrade to a Freesync monitor with DisplayPort to use the Gsync feature? I'm on a budget so I will go for lower end options like AOC G2460VQ6 or LG 24MP59G, neither of which is on the official Nvidia list but I hope they'll work anyway.

The real catch here is that I recently built this PC, and it is a very major upgrade from the previous PC, which could barely play Half-Life 2 at 720p 30 FPS, and now I can play everything at 1080p 60 FPS, which feels pretty smooth to me comparatively. So my real question is, will upgrading to G-Sync be worth it for me? Because at the moment 60 FPS feels pretty good to me, but the thing is I haven't played newer games yet, I'm still finishing off older games that I couldn't play on my older PC, so I don't know if my GPU will give me such smooth performance on the newer games. I know the 1060 is a capable card, but does G-Sync help a lot in newer games?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, and also in the right place.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Although there is a such thing a G-Sync compatible. I never liked it... Nvidia Pendulum demo will give you a great idea of how G-Sync compatible on your Freesync display may benefit you. Unapproved monitors will flicker more with G-Sync as well. I guess I am trying to tell you that your best bet is to just buy a G-Sync monitor if able.

Unfortunately G-sync monitors are overpriced where I live, and like I said, I'm pretty much on a tight budget. I've seen mixed views on G-sync compatible, but most people don't seem to dislike the feature completely. Do you have a reason to dislike it?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Yes its not genuine G-Sync. Gsync is Nvidia's proprietary adaptive sync technology. It requires hardware in the monitor to actually do its thing. Gsync compatible is just not 100% more or less mimics to the best of it ability. Honestly never used Gsync compatible, so it may be satisfactory for you. But, it may also make things worse like I described above with the screen flickering.

Although there is a such thing a G-Sync compatible. I never liked it... Nvidia Pendulum demo will give you a great idea of how G-Sync compatible on your Freesync display may benefit you. Unapproved monitors will flicker more with G-Sync as well. I guess I am trying to tell you that your best bet is to just buy a G-Sync monitor if able.
This sounds like the nonsense Nvidia was saying during that presentation when they gave in and finally started supporting the industry-standard method of adaptive sync. From everything I've heard, FreeSync over DisplayPort will work just as well on an Nvidia card as it will on an AMD card. Nvidia tried to make G-sync sound significantly better by comparing it to some rare problems experienced on a few of the early FreeSync monitors, but for the vast majority of screens, the adaptive sync experience on a FreeSync display will be indistinguishable from that on a G-Sync one, assuming it supports the same features and refresh rates.

FreeSync utilizes hardware in the screen as well, only that hardware doesn't really cost more, since it's built into the standard monitor chipset. If anything, I would argue that DisplayPort adaptive sync could be considered better, since it doesn't lock you into buying Nvidia GPUs in the future to retain access to the feature. If Intel or AMD are offering better graphics card options than Nvidia a couple years from now, I would rather have the option to select whichever card within a price segment is best, not whichever card supports an arbitrarily locked down feature in my monitor. It wouldn't be so bad if G-Sync screens supported DisplayPort adaptive sync as well, but as far as I know, the current models still don't. If I had to guess, now that Nvidia supports "G-Sync Compatible" displays, it might not be long before they do away with their proprietary chipset, and simply make "G-Sync Compatible" the new G-Sync.

As for those monitors, they would probably be decent, but are still just 75Hz screens. Moving up to a 144Hz screen might be more of an upgrade, and will allow adaptive sync to remain active across a much wider range.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I disagree... All G-Sync monitors also support “frequency dependent variable overdrive.” Without diving into too much detail, the technology prevents ghosting on G-Sync displays—an issue that severely affects some FreeSync panels,

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
To each their own, I'm clearly a fan of genuine Gsync over freesync, and I may be absolutely mislead by nvidias marketing. But I'm a fanboy and went from freesync display to a gysnc one and felt like I saw mass improvements with the gsync overall. But if you cant afford the gsync display my friend, give it a try and let us know how you feel about gsync compatible. I'd be interested to hear.

Not going to with 144 Hz panel because my 1060 probably can't do 1080p 144 Hz in most games I like, plus my Ryzen 5 1600 will also bottleneck the GPU. And if that isn't enough, 144 Hz panels are also mostly out of my budget. I live in India, and I can spend a maximum of 10,000 INR on the monitor.