T-J

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015
My Current Build created late 2015 has lasted me a long time. With an i5-4590 at 3.3Ghz its not exactly the fanciest of computers. I have a Zotac GTX 970 dual fan and 16gb DDR3 Ram, 550W PSU, 2 SSDs and 1 HDD.
Currently my 970's fans have failed so im awaiting replacement on those.
But this has got me thinking about when i should upgrade. My computer does pretty well in any game I play, Dying light on ultra at 40-50fps is easy. Im not that interested in reaching a constant 60 as I was used to playing on console long ago. Its definitely nice, but sometimes I dont really notice.
My main concern lies with the CPU and that its always jumping around from 10% to 60% and its getting quite old now in general. I Have an ASROCK Z97 Anniversary which means upgrading my cpu would be costly as it directly effects other components. As for upgrading my GPU im not sure. It holds out well against my friends who all seem to have a GTX 1060. One of them has the same CPU as me but a 1060 instead. However his PC is pretty much dead at any rate.

I really wouldn't want to spend too much, I know i could make some money back from selling my 970 (with its new fans) online however. But it wouldn't be a lot.
roughly £400 (or $500 for reference). I wouldnt make this upgrade immediately, but rather over time. I have a Mid-Tower case.

If you have any recommendations or please let me know :)

Solution
Reactions: ConanLock
Solution
Wait until your pc no longer does the job you want.
New parts are launched constantly with better price/performance.

I think you now have a well balanced pc.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.

If you think a better graphics card would help, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
A 550w psu can handle up to a RTX2080.

If you think you need a better processor, you have the option to install a i7-4790K and overclock it.
i7-4790K sells used for $180-$200.
Your i5-4790 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 7335 with a single thread rating of 2115.
A i704790K has 8 threads and a rating of 11169 with a single thread rating of 2529.
Most games depend on the single thread capability.

TRENDING THREADS