Show off your newest system upgrade components here!

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I probably wont post until tomorrow with all of my Christmas upgrades, but yesterday I did some cooler modifications which you will probably call stupid.

My brother treated himself to a new PC recently. He bought a CoolerMaster case, and replaced the stock case fans.

So i took these 2 Cooler Master case fans, screwed them togther, and clipped both of them to the back of my cooler.

21c idle temps at 4.2 ghz. Now load temps are 5c lower.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I probably wont post until tomorrow with all of my Christmas upgrades, but yesterday I did some cooler modifications which you will probably call stupid.

My brother treated himself to a new PC recently. He bought a CoolerMaster case, and replaced the stock case fans.

So i took these 2 Cooler Master case fans, screwed them togther, and clipped both of them to the back of my cooler.

21c idle temps at 4.2 ghz. Now load temps are 5c lower.
might wanna check out this link.. just to see if you've installed those stacked fans properly..Fan Stacking: Myth vs Reality

So no major upgrades, but some additions.

2x8gb DDr4 3200mhz G.skill aegis.
2x120mm case fans added to cooler.
Rosewill 1300mb/s dual band pcie wifi card.

Unfortunately my old 2x4gb 3200mhz g.skill and new ram don't work well together so i removed old ram. I got no boot with xmp. With reference specs, the system gets to Windows but half is hardware reserved.

Reactions: DMAN999

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
xYZYOrb.jpg

ncwvlwl.jpg

H0k2wD0.jpg

4ujFTmp.jpg

z8wDOvx.jpg

So I decided to up my game when it comes to racing simulators. I already had a Thrustmaster T300RS wheel, TH8A Shifter, and T3PA-PRO pedal set mounted to a Next Level Racing wheelstand hooked to my current system, but I found unfolding it all, setting it up, etc to be a pain, the shifter was in a somewhat awkward spot, and no matter what I did I couldn't get my office chair stable enough. This lead me to losing my concentration often and in the end just not using it because it was more frustrating than fun.

The good part about the Next Level Wheelstand is it is upgradeable to a full cockpit setup, so I purchased the chair add-on (which comes with a better shifter mount) as well as the monitor mount add on (which I am disappointed with and will discuss later) and movable keyboard tray add on. I have it listed in the parts list as the GT Ultimate V2 as that's how they sell the combo of the Wheelstand and Seat, and its cheaper if you buy both at the same time. Due to the size of this setup I'd need to put it in a different location from my main gaming system, also I was itching to do a new build, and again it would be a lot easier to use with its own box attached, plus I can keep the running software lean for performance.

For the system I wanted to do it with some style. I ordered a Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT originally but found there was no way to fit the Sapphire GPU, H80i liquid cooler, etc in there at all. So I returned it and went with the identical but larger ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT X in black. I preferred gray but this case is limited production I had to special order it direct from Phanteks, black was all they had available. In this I also replaced the H80i with an H100i Pro as the SHIFT X has the ability to fit a full 240mm cooler. The cool part about this case is its ability to show off both the GPU and the rest of the system from both sides. The not cool part is no matter how you set it up the thermals aren't that great. This case is really designed for a custom loop but I just didn't want to go that nuts.

Speaking of thermals, that drove my choice of the Ryzen 7 3700X over the 3800X despite the minimal price difference on sale. The TDP of the 3700X is only 65w vs 105w for the 3800X. The 3800X in tests runs notably hotter while only a small amount faster. Racing games don't need the fastest processor possible so I knew I wasn't slowing anything down with this choice, and considering my choice of GPU, making a choice for lower thermals on the CPU side was a good one.

So for my thermal design I went again with a negative pressure setup. Why am I a fan? It runs cooler than positive every time, and any high end case has enough filters and tight enough tolerances to make dust intake a minimal worry. My basement also has minimal dust. My gaming system has been negative pressure for 3 years now and other than cleaning the filter every 6 months I have 0 dust issues. I kept one of the stock 140mm fans in the base as an intake, and then added 3 Corsair LL120 fans as exhaust. They only look good as exhaust anyway. CPU hits 74c under max load, can't complain about that. GPU however I have lost some thermal capabilities.

The 5700XT works differently than other GPUs. Very basically it now uses an array of thermal sensors and when any of them hits a max of 110C (Hotspot temp) it throttles via clock speed. Its fully normal to see clock speed fluctuate at full load up and down about 300 or so mhz, yet the GPU maintains a smooth frame rate and even frame time. In most cases its performance is still excellent. Note my Timespy and Firestrike Ultra scores below (which match or beat most online review site tests):

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9782438
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21300927

And I have run into no issues in games. However running Superposition has shown the issues in this case's thermal capabilities. It drives the GPU and heat so hard that it throttles enough that I'm about 500 points short of most review sites. I ran it with no panels on and gained most of that back. Again I was aware this may be an issue going in, however I am ok with it as its real life performance is not affected, Superposition is an unrealistically heavy load. The GPU itself is the Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition, which adds the LED fans you can see in the pics and is the highest clocked air cooled 5700XT as of this time. The first one I got had to be returned as it failed after about 3 days of use. It was strange as its scores were a little low compared to reviews but I figured it was thermals. Then one day I turned it on and no output. I installed my test GPU (an old HD 5450) and it worked fine, so I went and swapped it into my Gaming system only to find the same issue, no output. I returned it to Newegg and managed to get a better deal on the same GPU at Microcenter the next day so I swapped that in and its been fine ever since, and scored higher in benches, so the other was likely defective from day 1.

For the PSU I normally go Seasonic only, however they don't offer any SFX PSUs with a rating higher than Gold. I prefer Platinum or Titanium efficiency for my systems for many reasons, and Corsair fits the bill with the SF600. 600w is plenty for this setup as the 5700XT is far more power efficient than its Vega predecessor. In monitoring power usage it averages around 200w under full load. The case includes a shroud for the PSU as well but the cables were just a touch too short for it to work, and I saw no reason to use extensions that I wouldn't be able to hide very well just to use the shroud, it looks fine without it.

Memory wise I went with a G-Skill AMD kit from the QVL, 3600mhz is the sweet spot of price/performance, also it looks cool. And for Storage I stuck with a single 1tb 970 Evo. I don't need a ton of space there is only so many racing games I'll have on there or need at any one time. Besides as you can see the area where I'd put SATA drives, as well as all my SATA power connections are taken up by the needs of the AIO, fan, and LED controllers. I even needed to add a small USB Header splitter to control both the Lighting Node Pro, and the H100i cooler as the Mini ITX board only has 1 USB 2.0 header.

In terms of the race rig, the GT Ultimate V2 includes a mount for the Buttkicker Gamer 2 which I added for some realism. They also offer a full motion platform but that gets to be way more than I wanted to spend. I'm working with Next Level regarding the monitor mounts as I'm disappointed. I can't get the side monitors to line up with the center perfectly, they have a slight downward tilt that no matter how much I fiddle with it I can't get rid of. They also open up a slight gap as the system vibrates a little. When you're intensely playing you don't notice it, but at the desktop its really annoyingly off. For the amount of money I spent on this they should be perfect and they are not. The monitors are 1080p/144hz running at 120hz since the GPU only has 2 144hz DP outputs, but the HDMI outputs only run at 120hz. Total resolution is 5760x1080. Most games other than Assetto Corsa Competizione run at 90-110 fps. ACC is poorly optimized for AMD and as of now only runs at about 55-60fps with some settings turned down.

The accessories are mostly leftover stuff I had laying around, except the Headset which I chose due to its quality and open backed so I can still hear whats going on in the house while playing. Overall highly satisfied with the system and its performance, other than the monitor mount which hopefully will have a fix soon.

Additional photos and full build specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7FzYcf

g-unit1111

Titan
My latest system upgrade is that I finally redid my HTPC:

279689.ea5fab02e21beb8f5e0347a063f0dc04.1600.jpg

279689.0090429cd2ba53dfb792bce370512184.1600.jpg

279689.737ecc9f67061242305f521001fe3f69.1600.jpg

279689.f6e2af366e803a9803a6533d371e9b0c.1600.jpg

Full specs:

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ-01B (reused)
PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum (New)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450-I (New)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (New)
RAM: G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4-3200 (reused from main rig)
SSD: Intel 660P 512GB (New)
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (reused)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Optical: Silverstone SST-600

So I finally updated my HTPC. The Zotac board I was using served me well but I've been wanting to upgrade the hardware for quite a while now and the Windows 10 switch over was the excuse I needed. All in all I spent about $380 and got a pretty killer system out of it with some new and old parts. Cable management was the best I could do given the extremely small area I have to work with that case. I did remove the old boot drive and secondary HD that I was using which not only freed up a lot of room, it cleared a lot of unnecessary cables out of the way and makes for a much cleaner interior.

Dec 6, 2019
Upgraded my PC last week:

New components:
Ryzen 3700x, Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super, Asus x570-E and a new case Cooler Master MB530P.

using a PSU from old setup: Corsair RM750x

Right now running on stock ryzen wraith prism cooler because old watercoolers radiator couldn't fit inside this case.

xoN7iK1.jpg

XA3yoZF.jpg

WBVCbHZ.jpg

wX3evWe.jpg

Last edited:
8pNLirk.jpg

Out with the old and in with the new Deepcool 360V2 cooler-front mounted, 10c down all round, idle 26c (my wife things we live in the bloody tropics-it is -6 outside LOL) and seems a very solid AIO cooler. I had no issues with my old one but it was over 2 years old so when the chance arose to get this on offer I went for it.
Very happy I am too!!

My "new" Intel Core 2 Quad q9500 came today. Works in the lego PC fine. I'm typing from it RN.

I accidentally broke the cooler on the HD5670 and now it hits like 95c in games and throttles.

However, I tried to run GTAV on this system. The throttling 10-year-old HD5670 and the CPU still pegged to 100% and bottlenecked the system. Good fun.

Surprisingly, the throttling HD5670 had no issues running GTAV at 1080p lowest settings 100% res scale. It just did so at 30fps limited by the CPU.

Reactions: DMAN999

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No update, yet - but because I always have to be tinkering with my system in some way (and the fact the cable went on a small sale), I'm going to attempt adding Type-C to my Meshify-C..... slightly inspired by this PaulsHardware video.

Ordered this cable

Not sure which side, or how exactly I'm going to tackle... but cable arrives tomorrow, I'll give it a go over the weekend. Hopefully it won't end up too much of a hack job.

1234567.jpg

Any tips/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
No update, yet - but because I always have to be tinkering with my system in some way (and the fact the cable went on a small sale), I'm going to attempt adding Type-C to my Meshify-C..... slightly inspired by this PaulsHardware video.

Ordered this cable

Not sure which side, or how exactly I'm going to tackle... but cable arrives tomorrow, I'll give it a go over the weekend. Hopefully it won't end up too much of a hack job.

1234567.jpg

Any tips/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

I am surprised they don't make a replacement kit to swap one of the existing 3.0s to Type-C. My Crystal 570X has one I could buy if I wanted it.

Hi guys I am in England I don't want to move pc to photo it but this is my build I got it just over 3 years ago when the 1080 first came out.

Coolermaster haf x full tower gaming case.
CPU intel i7 6 core processor i7-6800k (3.4GHz) 15mb cache
MOBO ASUS ROG STRIX X99 ATX usb 3.1 SATA 6GB/s
RAM 16gb Hyper x fury DDR4 2133MHz , 4 x 4gb
8GB zotac version of gtx 1080
480gb hyper x savage ssd sata 6 gb/s
960gb hyper x savage ssd sata 6 gb/s
24x dual layer dvd writer
corsair 650w cs series modular 80 plus gold ultra quiet
noctua nh-d155 ultra quiet cpu cooler
4 x 120mm apache black quiet fans
corsair mechanical gaming keyboard
Packard Bell gaming mouse 10 year old and as good as the day I got it.

If you did not see lights on the mobo you would not know it way turned on shhhhhhhhhhhh !
Tower has an extra switch on a sliding flap that you can use to do a restart if you get a lock up and this means you don't need to unplug at mains and risk registry corruption , it got me out of jail during a crashed update.

I never done overclocking so asked zotac how to use the oc program on driver disc , the individual who replied to me said that when put under load the 1080 has the ability to oc itself ???? only repeating what he said.

Been a die hard gamer since 1982 ( i am 64 ) for me , this rig is something i always wanted but thought i would never get.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I am surprised they don't make a replacement kit to swap one of the existing 3.0s to Type-C. My Crystal 570X has one I could buy if I wanted it.

Yeah, I am too. There's not a lot of options for upgrades out there (some Lian-Li and at least one Corsair).

If the IO was on the frame and not permanently on the front panel, that might've made a replacement/upgrade easier....

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys I am in England I don't want to move pc to photo it but this is my build I got it just over 3 years ago when the 1080 first came out.
Just for information;

In Tom's Hardware forums, we have 3 different topics about users PCs:
1. "Show off your newest system upgrade components here!" where to post pics about your latest PC hardware purchases,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/show-off-your-newest-system-upgrade-components-here.2891178/

2. "Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery" where to post pics about your rig and show it off,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/toms-hardware-member-system-gallery.1285475/

3. "The Member's Systems Discussion Thread" where to discuss anything about your build and components,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/the-members-systems-discussion-thread.1659018/

This topic here is #1 and since you didn't purchase your build or parts of it recently, this topic isn't that good of a fit for your build specs. #3 would be best since #2 would merit pics of build.

Reactions: WildCard999

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Type-C Upgrade.
Was going well enough.

Got the cable
IMG-20200207-104854.jpg

Limited room to work with on the front panel, so I cut down the casing:
IMG-20200207-111209.jpg

I ground down a groove to get it as close to in line with the rest of the IO as possible (was never going to get it perfectly in line)

IMG-20200207-111929.jpg

IMG-20200207-115849.jpg

So, I had somewhere for it to go. It was time to work on the hole on the IO side...

All was going pretty well
BUT THEN MY DREMMEL SLIPPED :mad:😂
IMG-20200207-121728.jpg

Oops

IMG-20200207-131515.jpg

Last edited: