Question Shutdown, unplugged, replugged, fans spin but no video output at all.

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
prebuilt lenovo OEM from 2012 with an RX550
8GB DDR3
new H61 mobo
i3-3240 3.4 GHz
and a very old weak PSU that came with it..

I tried everything available, 1st I unplugged and waited a couple of hours, didn't work. Then removed the CMOS battery, but nothing again.. then I saw a post here recommending removing a couple of components, so I removed RAM and the GPU and nothing.. then I suspected it's the GPU so I connected the screen cable to the onboard iGPU, but still no video output, now I am 100% sure it is not a gpu issue.. what could it mostly be? I am suspecting it might be either the PSU has gone dead (but if it was dead nothing will work right?) or the mobo, but not quite sure..

Had no other problems at all before.

prebuilt lenovo OEM from 2012 with an RX550
8GB DDR3
new H61 mobo
i3-3240 3.4 GHz
and a very old weak PSU that came with it..

I tried everything available, 1st I unplugged and waited a couple of hours, didn't work. Then removed the CMOS battery, but nothing again.. then I saw a post here recommending removing a couple of components, so I removed RAM and the GPU and nothing.. then I suspected it's the GPU so I connected the screen cable to the onboard iGPU, but still no video output, now I am 100% sure it is not a gpu issue.. what could it mostly be? I am suspecting it might be either the PSU has gone dead (but if it was dead nothing will work right?) or the mobo, but not quite sure..

Had no other problems at all before.
Try doing a test post, only things plugged into the mobo should be, power, cpu, and ram. When you power the system on at this point you should be sent straight to the bios nothing else.

And cpu cooler

Did it but nothing on the screen my dear
Okay so i doubt it's the cpu if it was the cpu it would normal post, generally just telling you cpu failed to be detected. Ram could be a issue you wouldn't happen to have a mobo speaker would you? It could also be a mobo or psu failure. However from going back through everything it's sounding more and more to me like the mobo is having a problem

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Okay so i doubt it's the cpu if it was the cpu it would normal post, generally just telling you cpu failed to be detected. Ram could be a issue you wouldn't happen to have a mobo speaker would you? It could also be a mobo or psu failure. However from going back through everything it's sounding more and more to me like the mobo is having a problem
What made me think it's the mobo because there was no display at all from it, not bios or anything. But some state that it might be a PSU problem so changing it will be better..

It's my second mobo, the first one dropped dead for a similar power faulty.. The PSU couldn't handle the pressure i put it in (I had the GTX460 oc in which was waaaaaay out of my PSUs league) then out of a sudden nothing worked.

If the mobo was dead, how can I prevent this from happening in the future? What do I need beside a new power supply and a safer electric socket?

Also, does a different maker of a said mobo differ in quality from another? The one I got is an off brand ARKTEK model for the H61, if I got a better branded H61, would that differ?

What made me think it's the mobo because there was no display at all from it, not bios or anything. But some state that it might be a PSU problem so changing it will be better..

It's my second mobo, the first one dropped dead for a similar power faulty.. The PSU couldn't handle the pressure i put it in (I had the GTX460 oc in which was waaaaaay out of my PSUs league) then out of a sudden nothing worked.

If the mobo was dead, how can I prevent this from happening in the future? What do I need beside a new power supply and a safer electric socket?

Also, does a different maker of a said mobo differ in quality from another? The one I got is an off brand ARKTEK model for the H61, if I got a better branded H61, would that differ?
So this post just cleared up a lot your psu needs to be replaced for sure.
Cpu maybe gone.
To prevent all this in the future before ocing make sure you have a viable psu.
Quality mobo, cpu, ram, if ocing it "gpu"
At a slow pace oc testing every step of the way making sure your not over volting, over heating, and still stable.
Does the pc turn on and stay on everytime, or does it seem to boot loop at any point "fans shutdown start back up" even if it's just once or twice before the pc stays running?

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
I wish it is a CPU issue, I can upgrade to the i7-3770 because it's the cheapest solution I have..
Its hard to find a similar mobo because its rather old and buying a new one requires new not cheap CPU, and more expensive RAM sticks, which is basically a new PC.. and at best its 300$ move that I can't do it in the mean time.

The PC starts and fans spin steadily in a normal fashion, no shutdown or start back up, no boot loop also.. the only abnormality besides the no signal to monitor that the keyboard isn't lighting up