[SOLVED] Since last Windows 10 update: OS won't boot, but BIOS does

mysterry

Prominent
Jan 19, 2019
Alright, several different hardware and software changes happened yesterday on my desktop computer running Windows 10:
I installed a new GPU, which worked just fine (some drivers were found, then updated on GeForce Experience, etc.)
I loaded through BIOS an old CPU overclock profile that used to be stable. I tested it on Prime95, seemed not to be 100% stable anymore, so I went back to BIOS to load the stock profile.
Several reboots, everything works fine, I can use the PC without any issue, including on intensive tasks like Red Dead Redemption 2.
When turning off the computer, Windows 10 warns me that it will make some updates. OK!

But this morning, first reboot after that update, I'm unable to reach Windows. The BIOS does load correctly, but after that, it's a black screen. I have to hard shut down the PC. I think it may be a faulty display driver due to the new GPU: I remove the GPU and use the iGPU instead, but to no avail. After a few fails, Windows prompts me with a blue screen with recovery options. I try to boot in safe mode: boom, BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.
Through the recovery options panel, I can open a command prompt: I try sfc /scannow, but Windows says it can't perform this operation. OK then I chkdsk c: no error is detected (Windows is on C). However, I type chkdsk without volume name and it inspects a partition whose name is Boot (I guess one of the small technical partitions Windows creates when it installs), and there some errors are found.

What does it look like ? What should I do next ? Should I try to repair Boot with chkdsk r of f ?

Is it the Windows 10 update that messed things up ? Or the new GPU (or the test of the OC profile) could be the culprit ?

Config:
i7-8700k
RTX 2080
Z370 Aorus
Corsair Vengeance 16Go 3000MHz

Solution
Here is a situation wher you can spend a lot of time going nowhere. Since this issue clearly can be a direct cause of a w10 update, suggest taking a simple test to check if the hardware actually works.

To do that - simply get a DVD or usb stick, get a common Linux distro (Linux Mint should do) and make a bootable DVD or usb stick of the iso image file. Then get it to boot to the live desktop (i.e. it runs of its own, doesn't touch anything else unless you actually do install it). If it runs, then the hardware is probably in good working condition.
Here is a situation wher you can spend a lot of time going nowhere. Since this issue clearly can be a direct cause of a w10 update, suggest taking a simple test to check if the hardware actually works.

To do that - simply get a DVD or usb stick, get a common Linux distro (Linux Mint should do) and make a bootable DVD or usb stick of the iso image file. Then get it to boot to the live desktop (i.e. it runs of its own, doesn't touch anything else unless you actually do install it). If it runs, then the hardware is probably in good working condition.

Solution

mysterry

Prominent
Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion !
I did try to boot on the USB, and it worked, showing that it's definitely Windows that is at fault here.

So I decided to restore Windows from a restoration point, and it solved the issue... until I installed once again the faulty Windows update. So that's pretty much clear that's the issue. I then did the restoration again, and this time I skipped this update: in Windows Update, I had the choice to instead download directly a future version of the OS (2004) if I wanted. I did that, the faulty update disappeared from the list of possible updates, and after a couple reboots, it seems to work very fine !