[SOLVED] Singular Device Capping at ~200mb. Other devices all 1000mb.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I have an issue that I just can't seem to solve for the life of me.

Three devices.

First, my main desktop.

3900x CPU with X570 AORUS PRO motherboard. It has Intel l211 Gigabit networking.
With this, I get 200mb/sec using speedtest.net

Second device is an older 4670k with Z87X-UD4H motherboard, and it reaches 970mb/sec with speedtest.net.
This PC is also behind a second router (as access point, others are NOT)

Third device, is my Laptop, using the exact same cable from my desktop, simply plugging it into the ethernet port, ALSO pulls 970mb/sec.

Problem PC is on a FRESH windows installation, have tried multiple drivers from both the motherboard support page, and directly from intel. No change.
I have filled around a bit with device properties in Device Manager, no change. I have no idea where to go from here!

Solution
Iperf is good and bad. It only tests the basic network part of your computer. All you know is that the nic its drivers and all you cabling etc is not the cause of the problem.
So this means it is something farther up the chain in your machine.

I would next try to copy large files in both directions between your machines. If you have ssd you should see almost 900mbps on this also. Some hard drives will limit you to a little less but nowhere near the 180 you are seeing. What the speeds in the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some values are Mbytes and other Mbits.

You might try other web browser since speedtest can be affected.

This still appears to be a program similar to the ones mentioned. Putting...
Iperf is good and bad. It only tests the basic network part of your computer. All you know is that the nic its drivers and all you cabling etc is not the cause of the problem.
So this means it is something farther up the chain in your machine.

I would next try to copy large files in both directions between your machines. If you have ssd you should see almost 900mbps on this also. Some hard drives will limit you to a little less but nowhere near the 180 you are seeing. What the speeds in the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some values are Mbytes and other Mbits.

You might try other web browser since speedtest can be affected.

This still appears to be a program similar to the ones mentioned. Putting anything in that monitors or attempts to restrict traffic can cause large slow downs. You generally see max cpu being the cause of these type of bottlenecks

Solution

TRENDING THREADS