Skylake: Intel's Core i7-6700K And i5-6600K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Even "FASTER" IGP sucks for any game. At least stuff a Geforce 256 equivalent in there or just leave it out. Businesses that need IGP will probably buy the I3 and I5 models anyhow. Anyone that needs an I7 can probably make the case for a discreet GPU now as well.

Yea I loved my Q6600 but it can't even compete with Sandy Bridge. I went from a Q6600 @ 3GHz to a 2500K stock and it crushed the Q6600.

You realize that there is no point in having a top end IGP in a enthusiast overclocking CPU that the majority of people will buy with a high end GPU, right? The Core i 2/3/4 K series all have had lower end IGPs because they are not as important as the CPU to those who buy them. I sure as hell don't use the IGP on my 4670K.

And as said in the article, there will be parts with the GT4e, in fact there will be parts with more EUs than Broadwell that will probably beat Broadwell in performance.

The Windows 10 results look very promising to me. Interesting that in some cases there is almost a 2x performance bump. Makes me hope that THG or Anand does a performance test of Windows 10 vs 8 vs 7.

joex444

Distinguished
On page 11, your labels got really confused. They consistently refer to the "i5 6700K" and the "i7 6600K" instead of the correct "i7 6700K" and "i5 6600K." It looks like the 6600/6700K part is correct and "i5" and "i7" were reversed.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Yea I loved my Q6600 but it can't even compete with Sandy Bridge. I went from a Q6600 @ 3GHz to a 2500K stock and it crushed the Q6600.

You realize that there is no point in having a top end IGP in a enthusiast overclocking CPU that the majority of people will buy with a high end GPU, right? The Core i 2/3/4 K series all have had lower end IGPs because they are not as important as the CPU to those who buy them. I sure as hell don't use the IGP on my 4670K.

And as said in the article, there will be parts with the GT4e, in fact there will be parts with more EUs than Broadwell that will probably beat Broadwell in performance.

The Windows 10 results look very promising to me. Interesting that in some cases there is almost a 2x performance bump. Makes me hope that THG or Anand does a performance test of Windows 10 vs 8 vs 7.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2015/05/01/directx-12-multiadapter-lighting-up-dormant-silicon-and-making-it-work-for-you.aspx

I'd like to see more of this, and better graphics on my enthusiast parts to better take advantage of it.

InvalidError

Titan

The first question I would ask myself is: do I need any?

I own a couple of external HDDs but for the few minutes I use them monthly mostly for offline backups or archiving stuff to free up space, I have no interest in getting a new PC and new drive enclosures specifically for them - upgrading my off-line storage would only save me a few seconds per month, not worth it unless free or forced by other factors. If my USB3 thumb drives actually worked at the full 5Gbps instead of barely scratching 400Mbps, I would be more than happy with that too.

USB 3.1 and ThunderBolt may have some benefits but I suspect most people won't really bother until USB3.1/ThunderBolt either reache price parity with USB3 or just happen to be the only things available as it will likely be the case 7-10 years from now when everything will have Type-C USB connectors.

I'll use an igp on a laptop or HTPC, but not on a gamer.

grahmbargh

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
What the heck Intel? So, you provide great integrated graphics into Broadwell, then nerf it for Skylake? I guess you had to find a way to help sell your 'paper launch' of Broadwell. I really hope Xen makes you guys wake up; although it more than likely won't.

And why exactly would one want their top tier iGPU on K series?

4 cores i7 6700k is a bit disappointing but it is what I expected as it should not outperform i7 5820k. Broadwell still has better Integrated graphics, but people willing to fork $200+ on a processor won't be happy with r7 250 like gpu performance anyways. Too early for x based skylake processors....I can only dream.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
What the heck Intel? So, you provide great integrated graphics into Broadwell, then nerf it for Skylake? I guess you had to find a way to help sell your 'paper launch' of Broadwell. I really hope Xen makes you guys wake up; although it more than likely won't.

And why exactly would one want their top tier iGPU on K series?

Might wanna check the other reviews on the net. Some of them show clearly that many games, even with a high end graphics card, use the L4 of the Broadwell IGP, which boosts performance quite a bit.
It benefits everyone. Not to mention that you will have a nice backup if your real GPU ever fails and needs to go into RMA for weeks.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
As someone chugging along on a C2D E8500, and who likes building stuff from a couple of generations ago on the cheap, what I hope to get from Skylake is a flood of Sandy Bridge parts to come on the used market from people who finally decided to upgrade. Sub-$100 2500K pricing would probably keep me going for another 4 years. Hell, I put my current platform together in 2009.

How about you link such reviews? The eDRAM cache is very helpful to the IGP, hence why the Broadwell IGPs demolish both Skylakes K series IGP and even AMDs IGP but I have yet to see anything showing it being useful to anything but that. Even so it is not nearly as fast as L3/L2 or L1 and it has been proven that adding another layer of cache normally does not help.

2009 was only a year after the 45nm C2D came out. But now you have a 6 year difference. Good luck man.

dat chipset. intel finally designed a favorable mainstream desktop chipset (PCH). z170 is worth buying. the cpu is yawntastic as it's predecessors except sandy bridge. i'll withhold my opinion until i know more about the cpu and the packaging.

the gt530 looks surprisingly potent despite it being the GT2 part. i wonder if the upgraded memory controller (with ddr4 2133 support) and redesigned gen 9 uarch has something to do with the improvement over haswell's GT2. looking forward to reading about gt4e.

i assume intel sent a oc-friendly sample for the i7 6700k testing...? the vcore in the cpu-z screenshot seemed awfully high.

Well as one who has a four year old 2500K as a backup rig and had it aggressively overclocked for years, just be careful on where and who you get it from. A lot of people hot-rodded them for a long time. Mine was starting to throw errors and I had to back the overclock down as it kept requiring more voltage.

It may be fine at stock for several years to come, but then again, it may one day go POOF when I power it up. I don't trust it much these days and surely would not feel comfortable selling it to someone else.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015

Yeah I am sorry, I just assume that people posting something like that inform themselves properly and thus know about the dozens of reviews that show exactly that.
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-review_169935/15
http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed/6
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/10
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/prozessoren/36200-skylake-core-i7-6700k-und-core-i5-6600k-im-test.html?start=9

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Biggest thing about the IGP that is important, at least in my case is the system I am looking at building using a m350 case:

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure

This is for a steambox/htpc/emulation system. I was looking at the AMD 7800, but the cores themselves aren't up to snuff. With Haswell's, the IGP isn't good enough. Broadwell at least has the IGP problem fixed, but it's pretty much a paper launch since they're near impossible to find. Skylake, again like Haswell, the IGP isn't good enough.

You can say that it's a niche market, but look at it this way. All in one PCs are becoming more and more popular. IGP is the only option in these kind of setups. Most use laptop components, but some use desktop; which I think will be the eventual future for that form factor.

Those Broadwell chips were never meant as a mainstream part. Perhaps if demand is high, that may change. For now, they are expensive desktop CPU's. They already had Iris Pro on mobile, mostly in Apple products. I'd expect Skylake to get an Iris Pro part eventually.

InvalidError

Titan

If you want an IGP that badly, simply wait for Skylake GT4e with 64MB eDRAM.

The 6600k/6700k have only a GT2 IGP and no eDRAM, they are clearly not meant to compete against Broadwell's GT3e and 128MB eDRAM. GT4e will have 50% more EUs than GT3e, so it should be considerably faster than Broadwell.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015

Seeing how Broadwell with eDRAM and around 500 MHz less destroys Skylake or at least keeps up with it, I think everyone wants some eDRAM love in their so called top of the line Skylake, they just dont know it (yet).

Im going to wait and see if theres a 6700k (or better) version coming which has eDRAM, because paying so much money for an 6700k, which is barely faster than a 4790k or much lower clocked 5775C, really makes me feel as if Intel takes me for a fool.

If you want the latest Iris Pro so badly, just get the Broadwell. If you want the best 4 core CPU, then go Skylake.

Eventually there will be a newer CPU with Iris Pro, get that when it is ready. These are just the 1st two Skylake CPU's to be reviewed. They are not going to be the only ones.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015

Sigh... at least read what I wrote...

Status
Not open for further replies.