SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay7219

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Holy crap that answered all my questions! Im glad that I decided to look in the forums before I put up a thread "whats the difference between SLI and Crossfire ". Thank you

djthewizz

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
to djthewizz:
hope u haven't lost lots of money on it

Not at all , i got it at Tigerdirect.ca for 250$ CND with tax and shipping :D
maybe some peoples will say it's expensive but for me, it's not ;)
Thanks for ur help.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Sorry if this has been posted already, or if it should have been obvious, but I want to be absolutely sure.
I have a Radeon HD 4850 from VisionTech. Based on what the FAQ says, I could get another 4850 from another maker, so long as they have the same memory and clock speed.
Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? Is it preferable to buy two of the exact same card?

Yes you can use those cards in CrossFire :)
Its preferable to buy two cards from exact brand because you have the support of 1 company rather than two but aside from that,there isn't any technical differences between same cards from 2 brands.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Hi Maziar,

I am going to upgrade one of my computer system to X58 and Core i7 and I would also like to have 4GPUat same time. I would like to confirm if Crossfire X can support 2x 4870X2 for 4GPU as somebody told me that Crossfire X is maximum 3 GPU.

Thanks,
Andy

G

I am looking at building a new system would 2x 8800gt 512mb or 1x9800gt 1gb be better. on a gigabyte board

Sneekysnake

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Maziar,
Awesome post, I thank you. It is great when those that know share with those of us that do not.

I am going to be building a new system, basically just upgrading MOBO/CPU, PSU and GPU.
It seems the links to the comparisons are for games that are the DoOM, Metal Gear, etc type of games.

Do you know if I would need to go to either Xfire or SLI on a MMORPG game like Everquest or WOW?

I really don't know how to compare that with the others.

From what I have read, since I normally play at about 1280 x 1024, my guess is that I really would not need that technology yet.

Thank you again.

thanks you mate :) glad you find it useful.
Well for 1280x1024,you really won't need either SLI/CrossFire,a good single card will be good for you.

Also about your question with MMORPG games,well games like WOW aren't very demanding,but games like Oblivion benefit from SLI/CrossFire.

Sneekysnake

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Maxiar,

Would one of these cards be good?

VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXOCE GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I know they are xfire and SLI ready, which I do not need right now for MMORPG but I was thinking that if in the future the games evolve?? Or is this just plain overkill and if so could you recommend a couple of decent cards? Right now I use a NVIDIA GeForce M440.

Again thanks.

HD 4850 and 9800GTX doesnt have alof of difference with each other,but i recommend HD 4850 because it has a slight edge over its Nvidia's rival.

Don't get me wrong,i didn't say SLI/CrossFire is completely useless for resolutions like 1280x1024,i said they are more useful for higher resolutions.
And as i said some MMORPG games aren't much demanding like WOW,but other games like Oblivion are more demanding and take advantage of MultiGPU(But again for your resolution a good single card is fine :) )

thepigeon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
hey! nice thread!
im lookin 2 upgrade my MoBo and Graphic card. i only want one card for now but wen i get the money ill buy a second! :D

im torn between CF with an ATI HD 4850 and SLI with a 9800gtx. any advice? (mobo choices is asus p5q pro CF or the cheapest SLI mobo with pc-8500 and fsb1333mhz lol)

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi,
Pls look into this...
I have MSI HD4850 512MB on ASUS M3N H/HDMI motherboard.
The M3N H/HDMI supports Hybrid SLi(IGP- Nvidia 8300). Can i enable CROSSFIRE or HYBRID SLI....
Pls give me required advice so as to fully make use the situation..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS