SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pabloottawa

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah I found the molex adapters but now it seems I need 4 of those old looking 4 pin connectors to get power to both 6 pin slots on the second card

pabloottawa

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks man,

Done and it's all up and running thanks. Questions though. because the second card is running off the molex splitters and adapters, is it getting the same amount of power as the first card and ifso is it getting the same type of power???? I'm no electrician so to me 12 v rails and all that stuff is still a mystery... I'm researching it more but still.... I thought 12v rails only went to the pci-e connectors but now I'm using molex 4pin connections with adapters and splitters so now I'm REALLY confused.

josagm7508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Thanks Maziar your information has been really useful for me. I posted a question regarding this topic and would like to know your opinion. Thanks.

skaiter1007

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
the 7950 gx2 actually does need an sli board. i have this card and it wouldn't work on my non sli board. even though it only takes one slot the board has to know how to use it... i got this answer from asus when i called tech support cause my new (at the time) video card wouldn't work.

No it requires one PCI-E slot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_7_Series
"The 7950 GX2 requires only a single PCIe power connector, in contrast to the twin-connectors of its predecessor; technically, this is understandable, as there is no need for a ring bus configuration – frames need only be passed on to the primary GPU"
I don't know why it didn't work with your motherboard,but it requires only one PCI-E slot.
The ASUS support has probably mistaken it with 2 7950GX2s.

Rex Winters

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hello,

I have 2 sapphire 5770's, and would like to run 4 monitors instead of 2in ab asus m4a79xtd motherboard. I don't care about crossfire mode, but i do care about the 4 monitor setup. Is there some was I can disable crossfire mode in CCC, remove the bridge between the 2 cards, and achieve an extended video image across 4 monitors ?

Thanks,

Rex Winters

I do believe you need Crossfire for this. What is your PSW wattage rating?

BTW, DO NOT openly post your email, someone could send you Malicious Software. That is what the Forum is for.

BTW,(again), Welcome to the Forums.

This thread is about SLI/CF, so please ask questions that are related to the topic.
Anyway, Adobe programs such as PS benefit more from CPU,so make sure you have a decent CPU along with sufficient amount of RAM.
All HD 5xxx series or Nvidia 2xx/4xx series are fine for PS.

steve6776

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
hi there

could you please tell me if a radeon hd 2900 xt and a 2900 pro run together on a asus p5q- premium.
i know one has a higher clock speed but the cards look the same.my computer is running a duo core at 3.4ghz with over 4gig of ram.and i do have the power to run two cards or even 4 cards.

please help steve.

steve6776

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

hi there
i know it sounds stupid but what do you mean by flash ,and how do you do this.
regards steve

G

dude sli doubles your total vram that you have so technically it does double your memory.....

No it doesn't.
"his is one the questions that many people make mistake understanding it .
The answer is NO , SLI or CrossFire doesnt double the memory , You have a 512MB card , adding another card wont make your memory 1GB, it still will be 512MB,so both cards will use 512MB of RAMs but the memory won't double.
Another example :
A game needs 512MB card to run at maximum settings , and you have a 256MB card , and you think if you add another 256MB card , your memory will be 512MB and thats not true."
If you still think its wrong,then please do a google search and read some trusted sites to be sure.

dean vella

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
THX this was very usefull

1 question though.... I have a gtx 460 gs 1 gb would it be pointless in buying another same 1 or should i buy the 768mb 1 since of what i understood wouldnt make a diffrence and save 20 euro?

thx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.