SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
The main incentive there is that one of the cards I saw was about $30 cheaper than buying a card from the same brand line, but with the same speed as my card. It may become a non-issue, as that particular card has some unfavorable reviews on Newegg regarding it's workings with 64-bit operating systems.

xablian

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks in advance for any responses.

I currently have a Asus M3n -HT Deluxe with Phenom 940 BE 4 Gigs of 5-5-5-15 ram just upgraded form an opty 175 and Abit MB, new system walks all over the old one.

Big question now is I have a 8800 GTS 320MB and a 24" I run at 1920x1200 Would go higher if the monitor let me.

From what I have seen a GTX 260 basically walks all over a pair of 8800 320gts in SLI my board is 3-way SLI capable but that seems like not a very good idea. (heat lots of it, power consumption gobs of it, scalablity issues)

So thoughts are get a GTX 260 for about 200 bucks and wait till they drop to about a 100 and grab another one.

The case is an Antec 900 with all fans, the power supply may be an issue. Antec 500W that is 4 years old. I still have my old MB CPU and will build another system with it for my son. Have an old PCI-e card laying around I can stuff on it.

Max Lazer

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Of course, I can always use Catalyst to overclock my original card, if I wanted. (and if I understood the FAQ.) After all, it's only 25 MHz and 14 MHz on the CPU and memory, respectively.
Problem I've found with tech sites so far is that none of them talk about problems with Vista....so either they ran into none, or they aren't testing long enough >_>
On the other hand, unless HIS has their own drivers or software with the video card, as opposed to the standard stuff that came with my Visiontek, then I should have no problems, as my Visiontek card has only run into problems when I neglected the drivers.

So the HIS 4850 with the 650MHz clock is looking to be a winner. Something flashy to go with my new mouse and keyboard.

Yes,for 1920x1200 defenitley get another card,8800GTS 320 can not keep up in tha resolution,GTX 260 is good,you may want to look at HD 4870 too.

Good luck with new purchase :) enjoy its power :)

xablian

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

Thanks a lot, I would look at the ATI stuff but the board is 3 way sli capable. May get a 260 55nm Newegg has them on sale today! 184 after rebate, kinda hard to beat that. Will add one later on any ideas on the PSU? I am guessing a 750 should be enough for SLI

niforean

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have read the first and last page of this thread.

I saw so many errors it got me quite irritated, one in the guide and one in a reply (although that could have already been answered).

the one in the reply was asking about a monitor with a good refresh rate, around 6ms or under.

6ms is the response time of the monitor, not the refresh rate. the refresh rate is measured in hertz, and is generally around 60hz.

the error in the guide was about MultiGPU technology being only for PCI-E graphics cards.

here's a quote from wikipedia that I read a long, long time ago:

"Scan-Line Interleave (SLI) from 3dfx is a method for linking two (or more) video cards or chips together to produce a single output. It is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics. SLI from 3dfx was introduced in 1998 and used in the Voodoo2 line of graphics accelerators. However, the original Voodoo Graphics card and the VSA 100 were also SLI-capable.

Nvidia Corporation reintroduced the SLI acronym in 2004 as Scalable-Link Interface"

3dfx's technology was meant for igp, pci and agp cards. I remember there is a geforce <6 card which is AGP and is SLIable, although not in the same way that we do it today. You used to have a master and a slave card, which used a daisy chain cable to connect from the vga socket on one card, to the other socket on the other card, and then on to the monitor.

so it would look like this
| | \ | |
|monitor|----------------->|PCI/AGP CARD |
|______| |________________________________|

yeah. take that.

D3vil_hsa2w

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hi guys
How is this CF for this resolution ?
2x4830 HIS iceq + 1024x1280?
MSI x58 Pro
if i do it can i see any more performance?!

Status
Not open for further replies.