[SOLVED] Slight lagging in FPS games

naethaen

Reputable
Jul 20, 2017
In fast FPS games like Apex Legends and Valorant I will have small spikes of lag and it will shift my movement and completely throwing me off which makes it hard to compete. I did a ping test through my router and google through cmd and everything seemed fine with nothing going over unexpectedly. I've noticed while playing other games my ping will go from smooth 30-300 and back down too. Discord and YouTube and everyday apps work fine but with gaming it's a issue. I am wirelessly connected to my router but my router is right behind the wall I am playing in. It also will happen randomly because some weeks my internet is perfectly fine and others it becomes unplayable. Does anyone know a solution?

Solution
Problem is having any form of wifi connection in the path makes this almost impossible to troubleshoot.

If the problem less random you to some extent can design tests to try to reduce the impact of the wifi.

Problem is it can be anything from video driver issues to some issue with your ISP. Say your ISP is having a issue. If you were to run ping test to the ISP and ping test to the wifi because these 2 tests are not done exactly at the same instant one packet maybe fine and the other not work but you do no know when the problem occurs for extremely short periods of time.

The reason they say do not play games on wifi is because this is the most common cause of this issue. It really is the only application that will not...
Problem is having any form of wifi connection in the path makes this almost impossible to troubleshoot.

If the problem less random you to some extent can design tests to try to reduce the impact of the wifi.

Problem is it can be anything from video driver issues to some issue with your ISP. Say your ISP is having a issue. If you were to run ping test to the ISP and ping test to the wifi because these 2 tests are not done exactly at the same instant one packet maybe fine and the other not work but you do no know when the problem occurs for extremely short periods of time.

The reason they say do not play games on wifi is because this is the most common cause of this issue. It really is the only application that will not tolerate the method wifi uses to avoid discarding damaged data. Games actually would prefer the data to be discarded rather than delayed. Pretty much any other application does not have much issue unless there is massive amounts of wifi interference.

The main problem with wifi is you have little to no ability to prevent external signals from interfering. In your case it could be somebody drives by in one of those fancy cars with wifi hotspots and as they drive by it interferes with a couple packets.

What you have to hope is the problem is not actually the wifi so you have a chance to fix it but you have to somehow test to rule out the wifi as the problem. I would buy a long ethernet cable and run it to the router. This is a temporary thing..unless it really is the wifi..so you can do some testing.

Otherwise it is blindly try to change stuff. Video driver settings tend to be the most common non network cause of lag spikes.

Solution