Question Slow boot and flashing ram upon start up after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2020
Hello, there was a quick power outage while my pc was on. It was connected to a 700J belkin surge protector. Upon powering my system, I noticed the ram flashing white followed by the default rainbow rgb the 4 seconds after.
Usually, pressing the power button would instantly light the ram to the default rainbow rgb lighting. I reinstalled it into another pc and same result, white flash followed by the normal default rainbow rgb lighting.
Posting and booting took a lot longer (around 30 seconds longer).
I'm believing that my motherboard and ram could be the problem.
Is there anything else I should look for? Should I RMA?
Thanks

here is video proof of the matter:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvHGqBj-iQ&ab_channel=ASUSNorthAmerica

(it may not look like there is flashing on the ram but it is there)

PC specs
R5 3600
corsair h100i SE
msi gaming x rx 580 8gb
WD sn550 m.2 nvme 500gb
Samsung 860 m.2 sata 1tb
Asrock x570 Taichi
3200mhz cl16 ddr4 Trident Z royals
rm850x power supply (2018)
Corsair 570X chassis

RealBeast

Titan
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and resetting BIOS values as required?

And buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) instead of a surge suppressor if you want to avoid these issues. A quality brand like APC has software to shutdown your computer after 10 or 15 minutes if the outage lasts, otherwise you won't be affected at all.

Reactions: Star-Piercer
Nov 14, 2020
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and resetting BIOS values as required?

And buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) instead of a surge suppressor if you want to avoid these issues. A quality brand like APC has software to shutdown your computer after 10 or 15 minutes if the outage lasts, otherwise you won't be affected at all.
I'll try clearing the CMOS and let you know if the problem persists.
Regarding a UPS, I purchased the APC UPS BR1500MS. Would this be ok?
Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
I'll try clearing the CMOS and let you know if the problem persists.
Regarding a UPS, I purchased the APC UPS BR1500MS. Would this be ok?
Thanks.
Yes, that will work very well to prevent future issues. The Power Chute software allows you to tailor the type of shutdown that you want. I usually set it on continue running until 5 minutes of power are left and then shutdown since I often have short outages.

Reactions: Star-Piercer
Nov 14, 2020
Yes, that will work very well to prevent future issues. The Power Chute software allows you to tailor the type of shutdown that you want. I usually set it on continue running until 5 minutes of power are left and then shutdown since I often have short outages.
Quick update on the cmos reset button, the latency between pressing the power button and loading up the asrock post screen still persists. Could it also be my power supply?

RealBeast

Titan
Not the most likely reason, that is usually quite fast once the circuit is closed for a second. I would suspect something else is delaying the bios startup. Is there a newer bios for your board?

An extreme example of a slow startup is my servers that take 90 seconds to allow the RAID controller bios to boot before the motherboard. While you don't have that issue, there must be something slowing the process.

Nov 14, 2020
Apparently it does, im gonna update the bios and see if the problem persists. I have tried the windows memory diagnostic tool. It detected no problems yet the ram rgb lighting has a noticeable latency upon start up.

A few observations i found out between pressing the power button and getting to the asrock splash screen is the incremental flashing screen(3 times) on my secondary monitor before reaching the splash screen. Not sure if its due to it being an ips panel. Its a dell se2419hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.