[SOLVED] Slow boot times after "sleep" or "turn down" feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Hello everyone who´s willing to help, i´ve decided to take my time and write it all down.

PC components- old almost 1y

RTX2060 Msi gaming Z
SSD Samsung 960 500gb
HDD 2TB WD blue
RAM 3200mhz Corsair Vengance RGB
PSU 750w EVGA Bronze
MB ASUS Z370A Prime
CPU 8600K oced at 4,5.

So, the problem itself desribed is, whenever i turn the pc to sleep or turn off after working on it and come back later to turn it off - maybe after 1-2 hours for the shortest amount of time for it to happen.
It goes into a boot loop, where only the monitor logo is displayed and than turns off and again and again- for maybe 5 minutes +- and then boots up, eventually it boots up always.
This specific problem has been occuring for almost 3 months, i´ve havent payed attention to it.

What ive tried up to this day was physical ensuring of connections, put ram out and in, Bios update to newest version, GPU drivers up to date, ssd firmware up to date(or at least it should be from info of "device manager"),reseating the m.2 disk, and reseating gpu and plugin 8 pin in and out. the same with sata cables for power and flow to HDD.

PC is booting from ssd which had 0 errors - scanned with "chkdsk" and with samsung magician.
Ram scanned from usb with program memtest86- no errors.
SSD Crystal mark
Settings from Power Plan - "sleep after-60mins, hybrid sleep - on, go into deep sleep -never, allow timers on wake up - on" - I´ve tried to put it into original power management plan in which this problem wasnt happening, before hand i´ve tried to fiddle with this.
Programs allowed on startup
Virtual memory settings - ive tried automatic and also manual yesterday, before it was only on automatic.
Recent windows update packages. - i havent tried uninstalling those, but i also did the fresh install without those, and it didnt fix it, sooooooo
Recent windows update packages 2

PC stability is ok, stress test dont affect the stability, games, programs etc... the problem is only within the slow boot times.

Ive included a video of the problem, what does it do. This is a fresh new install of windows from usb with reads up to 150mbs and reads about 80mbs.
I wanted to know if the m2 is bad, so i did a fresh install on usb and turned off pc, on next day simply woke it up but the problem on video happened.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfZhhQIEy7g&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaQbkeGgjNs&feature=youtu.be

I can include also screens from UEFI, of settings which might help with finding a solution.

Couple of days before i´ve had bsod "dpc_watchdog_violation" that problem is gone now.

Thanks for any suggestions and i hope we can find a solution together.😃

Last edited:
Solution
Put the ram in the second and fourth slot from the cpu out which are the recommended. See if it helps.
Problem with motherboards is you can't test them. Only way to know if it is motherboard is put all the parts on another motherboard which is difficult for most of us to do as we don't have spares.

I would get PC looked at by a repair store before rushing out and getting a new motherboard.
I am not sure if it could maybe be the PSU as it might be reason it doesn't start from a cold boot but doesn't mind if its only been off a while.

that black screen was maybe because you swapped from integrated to GPU with PC on, Win 10 may not have loaded the drivers or something. Screen appears to have gone off and not just be on a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be caused by old drivers not liking the windows 10 power schemes.
try turning this off since you have an ssd, it won't be helping - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
turning fast startup off might fix it, but its really just a work around. it won't help with the sleep issue
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (3rd party driver installers often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Now when i look at it, i know that it started happening around June 2020 (or at least i think)

In the power management i have set fast boot off along with hibernation off.

I´ve read that it might be due to drivers, but i performed that clean install and it stayed the same, but some drivers are being installed automatically while windows is setting up your "experience"

Ive uploaded the driverview export of drivers without windows ones here.
https://www49.zippyshare.com/v/m6lFp6kv/file.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
cmusbdac - I see you have a microphone. Blue Yeti?
its about oldest driver i see. might not be cause. Most of your drivers are from last 2 years.

kaspersky sure have enough drivers
newer version of intel ethernet drivers on ASUS website - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_Download/

i don't see intel rapid storage tech listed on website but i guess its for the ssd?
Do you have latest version of Armoury crate?

i can't tell with wireless card as I don't know what it is - driver version 1030.27.425.2018 make it pretty obvious they released in 2018, although dated 2019. Realtek drivers.

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Yes microphone is about 4 months old, its Marantz MPM 1000U, driver installed automatically.

I can try unpluging it,uninstalling and leaving the pc to sleep and try waking it up.

Yes intel rapid storage is under "SATA" on asus website, but i dunno what it does to improve the system.
Wireless connection through TP-Link 150mbps, been on it since beginning, no troubles when i did.

I uninstalled the Armoury Crate now with their software from page. Will give it a reboot and leave it to "Sleep" i will be back in 2 hours we´ll see.

Might be Kasperskys new update, but i am still refering at the new installation on usb, where it did the same thing, without kaspersky antivirus.

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Okay, the sysnative has finished its thing, where do i find the zip file? where does it export by default?

Also it is notified from kaspersky as trojan. so maybe it deleted the exort afterwards.

Btw, i just came home, after 2 hours +- and the time between fully functioning and turned off pc has already reduced significantly, it took only about 10-15 seconds. so maybe we´re getting somewhere. Or just a result of me not letting it idle for too long.

Last edited:

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
can you run this, it might give me a clue. It creates a zip file so if you can upload that, it would be good - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Im gonna do a memtest86 tests today since after reading some threads the poeples problem has leaded to Ram issues, of some which i am familliar too. In the meantime you could point me in directions of the sysnative export file and i would upload it somewhere. :)

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
i am not exactly sure where it creates the zip, it might be in the folder it was installed in, or in documents.

sysnative is a trojan? thats first i seen it reported as that.

Hello

I´ve found a workaround this issue, and that is shortening two pins to reset bios, soo, it isn´t good in the long run and all and i still have to go into bios and save settings, but this indicates that the problem is within the Motherboard.

Ill leave it in default settings, disabling xmp and "fast preset" and leave it at that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry I haven't answered till now.

I will have to download something to open rar files. Its 5am right now so probably tomorrow.

resetting bios to boot? there is something wrong there.

I should have watched your videos before now.

have you tried running off the igpu of the CPU, remove as much as possible hardware, one stick of ram, remove any extra peripherals.

if it still happens it is reducing the amount of things that could be cause, anything not currently attached.

The initial stage of boot is when PC checks hardware so if its taking ages at a blank screen or restarting monitor, before it eventually boots, it could be waiting for something to respond.

I think i been looking for a software cause when its likely hardware, I often do that. Instead of making you wait, I will see if anyone else can work this out.

crystal disk mark just shows performance, not health. need to use something that can check SMART scores or run a test on drive. Would be odd if it is a Samsung SSD as you would likely notice other problems if it was boot ssd. Samsung Magician has benchmarks and tests for their drives

remove Overclock if you haven't already

run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool on CPU. I would link it but currently the intel page for processors is down, I assume maintenance unless they finally gave up and said AMD win and went home... but I don't believe that either.

I am trying to reduce possible causes, so anything that comes back as good now

memtest appears to show ram is okay,

Colif

Win 11 Master
2nd bsod was kaspersky

sysnative shows origin webhelper been having issues for almost a year now, try removing WIFI card and using ethernet, there are newer Ethernet drivers on mb website
you have 12.17.10.8
MB website has Version 12.18.9.7

I don't think this is cause of all of the errors, as it shouldn't have anything to do with you not booting, but it might be cause of BSOD.
I can't tell with BSOD 1 as record is incomplete.

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
2nd bsod was kaspersky

sysnative shows origin webhelper been having issues for almost a year now, try removing WIFI card and using ethernet, there are newer Ethernet drivers on mb website
you have 12.17.10.8
MB website has Version 12.18.9.7

I don't think this is cause of all of the errors, as it shouldn't have anything to do with you not booting, but it might be cause of BSOD.
I can't tell with BSOD 1 as record is incomplete.
Hello,

Thanks for reply.
Cpu tested with the intel diag. tool (pass on all tests,default config)

Ive got 2 new videos, please watch them, if there isnt any more suggestions that you could do i think this problem is unsolvable via forum, probably the MB is somehow bad and needs time at first and then works flawlessly, but im kinda sad that we couldnt figure it out till now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJsZpF-vIA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oms3q7_jRL0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem with motherboards is you can't test them. Only way to know if it is motherboard is put all the parts on another motherboard which is difficult for most of us to do as we don't have spares.

I would get PC looked at by a repair store before rushing out and getting a new motherboard.
I am not sure if it could maybe be the PSU as it might be reason it doesn't start from a cold boot but doesn't mind if its only been off a while.

that black screen was maybe because you swapped from integrated to GPU with PC on, Win 10 may not have loaded the drivers or something. Screen appears to have gone off and not just be on a black screen

Reactions: Morterio

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Put the ram in the second and fourth slot from the cpu out which are the recommended. See if it helps.

that black screen was maybe because you swapped from integrated to GPU with PC on, Win 10 may not have loaded the drivers or something. Screen appears to have gone off and not just be on a black screen

Hello guys,

i´ve got god news, the problem has been within the display, it probably needed to warm up since it has been 10yo, i bought a new one yesterday and issue is gone. :)

Anyway, Thank you for your invested time and help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.