[SOLVED] Slow Computer - Upgrades or Restart

stevemacky

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2016
Hi there,

Below are the specs to my computer and it is running very intermittently slow. Sometimes the whole system locks up for 10 secs and then resumes, takes about 15 minutes to do a full reboot. Sometimes the computer just freezes while watching videos or playing games.

CPU - AMD FX 8320E 8 core (The fan hums pretty loud, reaching 3500rpm).
Motherboard - Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
RAM - 4x 4GB DDR3 1866 (16GB)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 mem
*Power Supply - Seasonic 650 Watt
*Hard drive - 2x 360GB Seagate Barracuda Drives (170GB & 196GB Free respectively).
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

The PS and HDs are stock and the rest is roughly 2 years old.

Also note, I have reason to believe the CPU is overheating when it freezes, I've been using HWiNFO64 to monitor sensors when it was happening frequently and the CPU would reach 90 degrees. lately I've been averaging 49 degrees on my CPU and 50 degrees on my GPU.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can increase the performance of my PC without any upgrades, or if there is anything glaringly obvious that I can upgrade that will increase performance. I'm not looking for state of the art, I just want/expect no freezing and smooth processing, maybe less than 5 minutes to reboot. You know, reasonable.

Thanks,
Steve

Solution
SSD will help immensely with boot up and loading times.
Also might want a better cooler, or if the overheating is recent, clean out dust or repaste.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also note, I have reason to believe the CPU is overheating when it freezes, I've been using HWiNFO64 to monitor sensors when it was happening frequently and the CPU would reach 90 degrees. lately I've been averaging 49 degrees on my CPU and 50 degrees on my GPU.
1)Use AMD Overdrive - nothing else is going to provide a more accurate reading on those FX cpus.
Thermal margin on that cpu is 70.5C.

2)Try locking the cpu to 3.5ghz in bios and see if it still crashes.

3)Is that 4x 4GB kit legit, or did you add memory?