Slow internet while using torrent client

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi. When im using my torrent client bittorrent or now ive switched to utorrent i sometime have very slow internet. also when im using downloading using a torrent client even if im only downloading at only 20 kbps and not even using my total upload speed my router light is blinking very fast and i still have slow internet. I should note that on a website i go to and on my gmail notifier i get the error message " connection was reset".

Solution

This could be many things based on the given information.

I assume this problem exists ONLY when you are using your torrent client.

Can you please confirm that you are uploading data via your bittorrent client? If you are, this could be your problem (if you dont limit it). On my old internet...

masterbunny5

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

This could be many things based on the given information.

I assume this problem exists ONLY when you are using your torrent client.

Can you please confirm that you are uploading data via your bittorrent client? If you are, this could be your problem (if you dont limit it). On my old internet service, anytime I got above 5-10+ Kbps upload speed, my internet would slow to a crawl. Even though my service was technically 10 megabit down AND up, the older cable infrastructures were not designed for two-way communication (aka uploading and downloading simultaneously).

If you are uploading, and you do have a lower-end bandwidth service, try limiting your overall upload bandwidth to 1-5 Kbps.

Solution

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Thank you for the replies. Im still getting slow internet loading times and my router light is still blinking as fast as it can while downloading at between 50 and 150kbps and uploading at no more than 5 kbps. Also ive noticed lately that my download speeds in my torrent client arent as fast as they should be or theyre going up and down. A torrent im downloading was just at 500+kbps and now its at 0kbps with 17 seeds and 17 peers connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive fixed this before but i forgot how. I just reinstalled xp and I had most of these problems when i installed xp before. Thank you.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Torrent speeds can fluctuate depending on the speed that the seeders are uploading at.
It may have 17 seeds, but all 17 of them may have maxed out their upload speeds with other connections.

Downloads from a website/FTP are generally more stable than torrent files, as they don't rely on seeders.

masterbunny5

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Precisely

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
i called my isp and she told me to reset the modem then reset the router and then to restart my pc. that seems to have worked. I downloaded a 1080p bluray in about 4 or 5 hours which isnt bad. my internet runs perfectly even when im downloading at high speeds. I think i might not have been reseting my rtouter correctly in the first place because when i reset it after i talked to my isp all my router setting were set to default, even my ssid. Thank you for all your replies.:)

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
This is a problem i have to fix every time i do a clean install of xp. I thought it was port forwarding that saved me last time. The solution in your post doesnt have a link to "method 1" and method 2 is not for my tcpip.sys according to the author.

newnetmp3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I would check what kind of router you are using. If you have a cheap belkin router like mine, disable the router's firewall. It filters a lot of incoming connections while utorrent is just sitting there. Even with no real upload/download activity (read: less than 5kbps upload/10kbps download while randomly talking to the tracker) the router just cant seem to handle that many concurrent connections.

It may be a ram issue in the router as well with it trying to deal with so many connections & still trying to filter SYN floods and the like.

Try it out. I Disabled the built-in firewall and turn off any deep packet inspection options and everything was fixed for me.

Good luck.

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Thank you for the reply. Currently all my computers have working torrent programs but I will check those settings to prevent it from happening in the future.:) This topic can be closed.

i7_Power

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

You need to login into the router's web gui to do that. Open a web browser and go to it's ip address (192.168.1.1 usually).

Angolmagyar

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014
I have the same issue, only if i limit the upload speed, uTorrent kills my download speed... i guess its an anti-leech thing, which is justifiable, but very very frustrating... however my internet speed is 250 down and 40 up, but with wifi i get only 90 down and 20 up... still great, im USUALLY downloading at over 6mb/s and the internet works fine, but recently it just wont work.,.. yet speedtest still says 40-50+ mbs download, so i don't get the issue...

Raress777

Commendable
May 19, 2016
For those facing this problem, i have encountered the same thing on my laptop(the pc didnt have this problem) for over 4 months, when finally today i was playing with my router's settings and solved my problem.
Try going to your router's address(192.168.0.1 or whatever) and go to Advanced -> Advanced Wireless(idk if this is the exact path for your particular router) and find Short GI(Guard Interval) and HT 20/40 Coexistence(from what i know this may only exist for d-link routers) and DISABLE them.
Both settings after disabling them raised my down speed on torrent and made my internet work well while downloading. Hope it works for you as it worked for me. Have a good day.