Question Slow to non-existent internet until restart

Feb 9, 2020
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I have a problem that I've been unable to solve for a couple of weeks now. I have a Dell XPS 8900 Windows 10 desktop with 16GB RAM and a 1 TB drive. Windows Version is 1903. The computer is on all of the time so that backups can run overnight. I have SyncBack Pro to backup to a networked drive and I use iDrive to backup to the cloud.

My problem began randomly about two weeks ago when I got on the computer in the morning to surf the web and it would not connect. Chrome got stuck at resolving host. This has since been the case every morning. Something happens overnight to screw up the internet/network. This happens regardless of being wired or wireless and which browser I use. It also affects outlook and I can't access the network drive. This is the only computer on the network having issues so it's not a modem issue. All phones and computers and tablets do not have an issue. I've updated drivers, flushed the dns, reset the network adapters, disabled both SyncBack and iDrive, disabled the low power modes in the network cards and run virus and malware checks with no results. The only thing that makes things work again is a restart of shutdown. I'm out of ideas and need help.

Here is the results of ipconfig /all if that is useful.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NewOffice
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.az.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.az.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-66-DA-1C-37-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.210(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 09, 2020 6:48:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 16, 2020 6:48:35 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.az.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-AA-3C-D7

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-AA-3C-D8

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-2B-6E-AA-3C-D7

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-AA-3C-DB

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you may have.

Regards,

Damon

Ralston18

Titan
My immediate thought is that you should reinstall Chrome.

However, no harm in taking a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that historically track back to when the problem(s) began.

And try another DNS Server: E.g. Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4).

If no success then reinstall Chrome.

Feb 9, 2020
Thanks. I've already tried those DNS servers and the same thing happened.

As far as Chrome goes, both FireFox and Edge have the same problem as well as Outlook. Are you suggesting I reinstall Chrome because it can affect the entire system?

How do I look at the Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Feb 9, 2020
So I tried reinstalling Chrome and nothing changed. I did notice that my mycloud drive was very slow even when the internet was working well. I also noticed that some of the file properties on that drive changed such that I couldn't delete them without admin privileges. As an experiment I disconnected that drive from the router and stopped SyncBack from backing up to it. Alas, this also didn't change anything.

I checked the Event Viewer and found that my wireless adapter started having errors on 1/22 which is about the time I noticed problems starting. I have not found any errors concerning the Ethernet controller even though I'm having the same problems wired as being wireless. These are listed separately in the device manager, so I assumed that they were separate pieces of hardware. Are these two separate cards or the same card? If they're separate cards, could the wireless going down affect the wired one since they are both network related?

The error message says "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly." There are also the messages "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : Has encountered an internal error and has failed" and "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : Has encountered a conflict in resources and could not load."

Judging by this it seems that at least my wireless adapter has bit the dust. Could this have taken out the Ethernet adapter or is it just acting weird until I get a new wireless card?

Thanks in advance,

Damon

Feb 9, 2020
Ok so I purchased and installed a New ASUS AC3100 WiFi card and antenna set. Works beautifully and the internet is at least 3 times faster.

However, I am still having the issue of needing a restart to access the internet. I'm getting very close to doing a clean Windows install, but that's going to be a pain and am hoping to avoid it. Does anyone have any useful suggestions?

Ok - new information since I originally posted this morning. The error of not being able to access the internet happened seemingly right after I closed by browser window. That's the first time that I've noticed that happening. Still needing advice on how to proceed.

The event viewer shows the following recurs:

1.0.0.532: Connection error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.intelsa.intel.com'
Network available: True

Has anyone ever experienced this latest particular behavior?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020
A couple of updates. The new WiFi inextricably stopped working yesterday and disappeared from the device manager. A restart fixed that problem and it hasn't happened again (yet). The other thing that happened is I accidentally left my browser open overnight and most of the day today. When I checked things later in the afternoon, the browser I had left open accessed the internet just fine. However, anything that wasn't already open couldn't get to the internet as before. Very puzzling. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Nov 4, 2020
I have a similar problem. Windows 10 (1909). After about 4 or 5 days, there's a lag when I start my browser (any browser), try to go to a web page. It gets slower and slower over time. It's not internet speed, it's the lag when initially going to a website or google search. I am using vpn and connected through a corporate connection, but if I reboot, it's fast again until 4 or 5 days later. Edge browser or Chrome.