Smoke from power supply on first boot?

poguesquadron

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Okay, I could really use some help here.

My new build is as follows (this is my first boot today):

Intel Core i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD6950
8GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance RAM
80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Asus 24x DVDR/CDR Combo Drive
Thermaltake 750w TR2 RX Power supply

Everything seemed fine, though granted it probably would've been better to start off with minimal components. Was all ready to go, hit the power button, and the CPU fan started, and then quickly stopped. I then saw smoke come out of somewhere, and it looks like it rose from behind the mobo.

Now, the mobo doesn't smell at all. The CPU/heatsink does not smell at all. There is no evidence of any burn damage.

The power supply, however, does smell like the smoke that I saw. I am praying to god that there has been no damage to the CPU or motherboard. Is this just a bad power supply?

My plan is to head back to Micro Center and ask for a new one and then see if that works with minimal components (graphics card, RAM, no drives).

If there is no evidence of any damage or smell on the mobo/CPU, am I okay? It's really looking like this smell came from the PSU. I mean, I don't know what would case any burning, because the thermal compound/CPU seems fine.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, I took out the PSU and took a whif...it definitely smells like the smoke I just saw. What on Earth could've caused this?

Solution
It looks like you did extensive research for all the components except the PSU which happens to be the most critical component of any build.. Contact Microcenter and ask them for a change.. If required go lower on wattage making sure you get a quality unit.. If you have no plans of adding another card in near future then a good 500W unit will be enough.. See if you can grab yourself a Corsair TX 650W V2 or any such Seasonic or XFX equivalent (all of them are Seasonic basically)..
Thermaltake 750w TR2 RX is an epic fail of a psu from the reviews i have read, its 1 of toughs stay well clear of jobs...
now get on to thermaltake and see if they can send you a better psu and replace any burned out parts. dont bother going back to the shop you got it from get in touch with thermaltake directly... you may score for a new gfx card or similar.

It looks like you did extensive research for all the components except the PSU which happens to be the most critical component of any build.. Contact Microcenter and ask them for a change.. If required go lower on wattage making sure you get a quality unit.. If you have no plans of adding another card in near future then a good 500W unit will be enough.. See if you can grab yourself a Corsair TX 650W V2 or any such Seasonic or XFX equivalent (all of them are Seasonic basically)..

Solution

poguesquadron

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks guys. I picked up the Corsair TX 650w, booted with a minimal configuration just to see if it would work. I did get a post screen which tried to load an operating system. Didn't go into the BIOS so I powered off and proceeded to plug my other components in...Now it just won't do anything at all, so I'll bring this issue elsewhere haha. Thanks!

poguesquadron

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Apparently the system wasn't starting up just because I had something plugged in where I wasn't supposed to (can you tell it's my first time doing this?) Everything seems to be running pretty well, and hopefully I don't have any problems! Loving my new SSD! :love: