Question Sn770 Issues, read-only/doesnt exist

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Hello, I've got quite a problem at my hands, I've got a WD Black SN770 500GB SSD to upgrade my computer, the specs are:
-> i3 8100 ( running with the iGPU)
-> 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz
-> MSI H310 Gaming Plus
-> SATA SSD 240GB
-> Wi-Fi PCIe x1 Card, form china
-> XFX TS 600W 80+ Bronze

The issues:
-> The SSD is detected by BIOS and W10, after writing a file, for example, the Kali-linux.iso file, it finishes but it can't read from it, nor mount the iso. Some time after, the drive goes into read-only.
-> When installing W10, it throws an error, 0x800701B1 'A device which does not exist was specified'.

What I have tried/checked:
-> Just formatting
-> Using the Secure Erase+ function from the BIOS to clear and erase the drive.
-> Taking it out and putting it in. (twice)
-> Installing a different OS (Ubuntu 22.10). (Similar results)
-> Installing W10 without the SATA SSD connected
-> Updating the drive firmware trough Dashboard app from WD.
-> The SN770 is compatible with PCIe 2.0 X4, at least, it is mentioned on the drives specs.
-> Updating the BIOS to the latest update

Worth mentioning:
-> On the dashboard app, after copying a file and trying to read from it, stops detecting the drive.
-> On the same app, the security parameter says that it is frozen.
-> There is a option in BIOS that lets me choose between M.2/Optane but is grayed out, leaving me wondering if it is being correctly detected.

My last resort is to RMA it, but any last suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)

Hello, I've got quite a problem at my hands, I've got a WD Black SN770 500GB SSD to upgrade my computer, the specs are:
-> i3 8100 ( running with the iGPU)
-> 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz
-> MSI H310 Gaming Plus
-> SATA SSD 240GB
-> Wi-Fi PCIe x1 Card, form china
-> XFX TS 600W 80+ Bronze

The issues:
-> The SSD is detected by BIOS and W10, after writing a file, for example, the Kali-linux.iso file, it finishes but it can't read from it, nor mount the iso. Some time after, the drive goes into read-only.
-> When installing W10, it throws an error, 0x800701B1 'A device which does not exist was specified'.

What I have tried/checked:
-> Just formatting
-> Using the Secure Erase+ function from the BIOS to clear and erase the drive.
-> Taking it out and putting it in. (twice)
-> Installing a different OS (Ubuntu 22.10). (Similar results)
-> Installing W10 without the SATA SSD connected
-> Updating the drive firmware trough Dashboard app from WD.
-> The SN770 is compatible with PCIe 2.0 X4, at least, it is mentioned on the drives specs.
-> Updating the BIOS to the latest update

Worth mentioning:
-> On the dashboard app, after copying a file and trying to read from it, stops detecting the drive.
-> On the same app, the security parameter says that it is frozen.
-> There is a option in BIOS that lets me choose between M.2/Optane but is grayed out, leaving me wondering if it is being correctly detected.

My last resort is to RMA it, but any last suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)
If thos is a brand new ssd no not rma it, deepeneding on where you got the drive from they should replace it with in a 2 week purchase date for free and you can save the rma if the new drive fails. Past the 30 day return period.

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Oh yeah, I meant to replace, or to refund at the store that I bought, i'm not a native speaker :p
Also, I tried to take out the Wi-Fi card to test if there was conflict on PCIe devices but the issue persisted

How fast did the secure erase execute? If it took only a few seconds, then the drive merely threw away its encryption key and generated a new one. It would not have erased every block.

When security is "frozen", it means that those ATA commands which involve setting the password have been disabled, either by BIOS or Windows. This prevents malware from locking your drive.

Do you see any "Media and Data Integrity Errors" in your SMART report?

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
How fast did the secure erase execute? If it took only a few seconds, then the drive merely threw away its encryption key and generated a new one. It would not have erased every block.

When security is "frozen", it means that those ATA commands which involve setting the password have been disabled, either by BIOS or Windows. This prevents malware from locking your drive.

Do you see any "Media and Data Integrity Errors" in your SMART report?

Sorry for the late response, Secure finishes almost in a instant, less than 2 sec. On the Media and Data Integrity Errors, it's zero'd out, no errors.
Also, I've test the RAM with Memtest86, 4 passes and no errors found.

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022

This is a really long shot but could you clarify something. When you say writing a file like the Kali-linux.iso file, do you mean copying the file itself to a filesystem (NTFS, Ext4, etc.) on the drive in question or do you mean burning the ISO image to the drive (as you would to make a bootable flash drive)? I don't know if it's even possible to do such a thing but, if it's the latter, that could have something to do with your issue.

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
This is a really long shot but could you clarify something. When you say writing a file like the Kali-linux.iso file, do you mean copying the file itself to a filesystem (NTFS, Ext4, etc.) on the drive in question or do you mean burning the ISO image to the drive (as you would to make a bootable flash drive)? I don't know if it's even possible to do such a thing but, if it's the latter, that could have something to do with your issue.

It is the first one, copying the file into a filesystem (NTFS to be exact), I've managed to temporarily make it work, if I restart the PC after writing some files to the drive, they become readable, but the same issues persists.