Question So my gpu rattles if i hit my desk?

Jul 6, 2021
Okay so my gtx 1660 (right fan to be specific) makes a rattling noise whenever i hit my desk with my leg/hand. The fan is spinning and if i hit my desk the fan expands and makes the rattling noise for like 0.5 seconds then goes back to being okay again. Is that normal due to the hit the desk is getting or is there something wrong with the fan??

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Sound like the right fan bearing is close to being toast, or some cable being too close to the right fan.
Hitting your desk with pc on it is generally a bad idea, nevertheless this shouldn't happen.
If the card is still in warranty you may be able to RMA it, just omit "when i hit the desk" part in the RMA ticket description of the problem.
If your card is out of warranty, you can find replacement fans on aliexpress for as little as 10 bucks for a pair with cables and all. Just include
fan make and card model in search parameters.

or you can try sites like, if aliexpress is too shady for your taste

Okay so my gtx 1660 (right fan to be specific) makes a rattling noise whenever i hit my desk with my leg/hand. The fan is spinning and if i hit my desk the fan expands and makes the rattling noise for like 0.5 seconds then goes back to being okay again. Is that normal due to the hit the desk is getting or is there something wrong with the fan??
It is probably due to some extra slop in the fan bearings.
It's not exactly normal...but it's not anything that I would expect to die imminently.
You could replace it.

Jul 6, 2021
Sound like the right fan bearing is close to being toast, or some cable being too close to the right fan.
Hitting your desk with pc on it is generally a bad idea, nevertheless this shouldn't happen.
If the card is still in warranty you may be able to RMA it, just omit "when i hit the desk" part in the RMA ticket description of the problem.
If your card is out of warranty, you can find replacement fans on aliexpress for as little as 10 bucks for a pair with cables and all. Just include
fan make and card model in search parameters.

Okay so..this confuses me because the gpu when it starts to spin it rattles (for a second EVER SINCE DAY ONE i bought it and i went to the shop i bought it from and they were like "Its the bearings starting to spin its okay" and then its quiet in any other fan speed. Like the noise only happen when it starts to spin , and then quiet after. (Gigabyte card if you remember TONS and countless number of people have the same issue since gigabyte sucks) so its been 2 years doing that..should i really RMA it?? Im really worried..and the RMA will take really long too..i live in a 3rd world country which sucks and this is the only playing source i got. No good phone nor playstations etc..

Jul 6, 2021
It is probably due to some extra slop in the fan bearings.
It's not exactly normal...but it's not anything that I would expect to die imminently.
You could replace it.

Okay so..this confuses me because the gpu when it starts to spin it rattles (for a second EVER SINCE DAY ONE i bought it and i went to the shop i bought it from and they were like "Its the bearings starting to spin its okay" and then its quiet in any other fan speed. Like the noise only happen when it starts to spin , and then quiet after. (Gigabyte card if you remember TONS and countless number of people have the same issue since gigabyte sucks) so its been 2 years doing that..should i really RMA it?? Im really worried..and the RMA will take really long too..i live in a 3rd world country which sucks and this is the only playing source i got. No good phone nor playstations etc

Okay so..this confuses me because the gpu when it starts to spin it rattles (for a second EVER SINCE DAY ONE i bought it and i went to the shop i bought it from and they were like "Its the bearings starting to spin its okay" and then its quiet in any other fan speed. Like the noise only happen when it starts to spin , and then quiet after. (Gigabyte card if you remember TONS and countless number of people have the same issue since gigabyte sucks) so its been 2 years doing that..should i really RMA it?? Im really worried..and the RMA will take really long too..i live in a 3rd world country which sucks and this is the only playing source i got. No good phone nor playstations etc
I'd run with it that way and order a fan.

Jul 6, 2021
I'd run with it that way and order a fan.

I don't want to sound stupid or desperate but issues like that usually makes me want to cry because the fans are spinning REALLY steady with no noise AT ALL at the moment. Which confused me even more because i saw a video that had the same issue as mine but his fan was wobbly and was vibrating the case while mine doesn't..i really don't know what to do.

I don't want to sound stupid or desperate but issues like that usually makes me want to cry because the fans are spinning REALLY steady with no noise AT ALL at the moment. Which confused me even more because i saw a video that had the same issue as mine but his fan was wobbly and was vibrating the case while mine doesn't..i really don't know what to do.
Run with it as it is.
If you want to have a backup....order a fan and don't install it until the one you have starts making noise all the time.
It may never make more noise than it does now and may be fine forever....or it may not.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021

Get a better desk,
than if at some point in future that right fans starts wailing during gaming, go buy a replacement fan kit.
it only means those fans are a bit on shoddy side of things.
worst case you'll have to skip gaming for a day or two before your order ships.
the card will not fry itself even if one of those fans get jammed. It'll jut throttle down, your fps will drop, you'll "accidentially" hit that new desk ( that doesn't wobble) and you'll have replacement in the mail in a few days :ROFLMAO:

Jul 6, 2021
Run with it as it is.
If you want to have a backup....order a fan and don't install it until the one you have starts making noise all the time.
It may never make more noise than it does now and may be fine forever....or it may not.

I have been thinking of removing the fans myself and then re-installing them with the screws a bit tighter..would that work ? i really am trying to do anything to get it to stop. i mean i get used to things quickly i can play run with it as it is but i also suffer really bad anxiety and overthinking. so it's gonna be around my head for a month or two before i can get used to it which i really hate about myself..

I have been thinking of removing the fans myself and then re-installing them with the screws a bit tighter..would that work ? i really am trying to do anything to get it to stop. i mean i get used to things quickly i can play run with it as it is but i also suffer really bad anxiety and overthinking. so it's gonna be around my head for a month or two before i can get used to it which i really hate about myself..
You are over thinking this.
I think it's wise you leave it be.
I think chances are really good it's going to last a while the way it is.
I don't think you are going to change anything by messing with the screws.
If anything you might create a problem and you will be in worse shape than you are right now.....and right now...I would consider this very minor.

Reactions: Bazzy 505

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
agreed,

although it kinda reminds me of ManLI graphic cards. I think they only sell their cards in SE asia nowdays, but we used to have a wholeseller in the neighbourhood importing them back in the day. Spec wise, they were always on part with best out there. But build quality was utter crap, they would usually cheapen out on things like coolers and fans and the line at the desk for replacements was typically twice as long as the one the desk for in store pick-ups :p

Yeah, you could always order new ones, they should only be a few dollars, then store until needed. But as far as ebay, I've bought quite a bit of stuff on there, usually no problem. You mainly just have to watch the rep of the sellers and look at the descriptions. At least ebay these days has a buyer protection, so if items aren't as expected, you can file a case and typically get your $$ back.