[SOLVED] So my next build needs a motherboard and case.

Dizturb3dwun

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
So, I'm gonna be building a Zen3 PC whenever they release for sale later this year.
I'm currently stuck on both motherboard and case.

So first question. I haven't ever bought a CPU right at release before. And I am aware that the Zen3 are going to be AM4 compatible. I am wondering though, if I should actually get one of the current mobo's, or wait for whatever models release alongside the CPU? I plan on getting the 4xxx equivalent of the 3900x. I am going to be using a Noctua DH15 Chromax Black.

Also what mobo would you recommend? I am currently leaning towards a 220-260 ish Aorus or Prime.

*(I've never had a quality motherboard before, so I'm not entirely sure what to look for in one, beyond the basic plugs I need.)

I'm personally not a big fan of water cooling, aesthetically or mechanically. And I love the big bulky look of the dh15.

Next question is the case. I am stuck so hard right here.
I'm mostly down to the Lancool 2 Mesh, P500A, and Pure Base 500DX. Any input on this aspect? Or things you think would be better/why?
*I don't really need fans to come with the case. I have 4 Silent Wings 3 120's I can throw in whatever.

Solution
It's hard to say for motherboards, since I have not heard many leaks about a new motherboard series yet. It's already been over a year since X570 launched, but B550 and A520 boards are just coming out now. B550 and X570 tend to offer relatively similar build quality and feature-sets, with the main differentiating factor between the two being that X570 provides PCIe 4.0 bandwidth for all PCIe slots, whereas B550 only provides it for the first x16 and first NVMe slot. So I could see them potentially adding something more to an X570 successor to better differentiate it from B550.

The X570 chipset is also a little more power-hungry than most motherboard chipsets, apparently utilizing a Ryzen 3000 IO chip due to ASMedia chips not being...
It's hard to say for motherboards, since I have not heard many leaks about a new motherboard series yet. It's already been over a year since X570 launched, but B550 and A520 boards are just coming out now. B550 and X570 tend to offer relatively similar build quality and feature-sets, with the main differentiating factor between the two being that X570 provides PCIe 4.0 bandwidth for all PCIe slots, whereas B550 only provides it for the first x16 and first NVMe slot. So I could see them potentially adding something more to an X570 successor to better differentiate it from B550.

The X570 chipset is also a little more power-hungry than most motherboard chipsets, apparently utilizing a Ryzen 3000 IO chip due to ASMedia chips not being ready with PCIe 4.0 at the time, so its successor will likely replace that with something more efficient, and we might see boards ditch the integrated chipset cooling fan as a result. Aside from that, it's hard to say what might change, so it's probably best to wait until more details are available about the 4000-series and any new motherboard chipset that might launch with them.

I don't really have any recommendation about the case, as a lot of that will come down to preference. It's also worth considering what sort of graphics card you intend to put in the system, since some higher-end cards can put out a lot of heat under load.

Solution

Dizturb3dwun

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
Oooh I hadnt considered they may make a 570 successor without that stupid fan. Almost for sure gonna wait now... Good call!

as to the GPU, RIGHT NOW i have an XFX Ultra III 5700 XT> Which is absolutely massive. I don't plan on keeping it, but its what the new one will have to start.