lazypie_man

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
which is the best socket set to invest my money into,
which one is more future proof?
and is 1155 really that much better than 1366 processors.

i only plan on spending around £200 ish on a processor, but would like the option to upgrade in the future, wether that is worth it im not sure?

also i no the 2011 socket set is coming out soon is it worth wating for?

any information and advice would be much appreciated.

rohangupta

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
1155 for sure.1366 is way too pricey for the best cpu's while 2600k and 2500k are the way to go.also as am3+ is right around the corner best would be to take a am3+ board and a cheap-ass am3 cpu and when zambezi(desktop version of bulldozer) launches,grab one of those..my recommendation to amd for now as octa bulldozers will literally bulldoze intel as it was when the athlons were spanking pentiums..

amd is cheaper too.

if u r not looking forward to amd,then take 1155 as it will support the future ivy bridge which are estimated to be the real competiotion for the upcoming bulldozer cpu's..

quantumdawn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
1155 offers more performance and less cost than 1366, and it's also future-proof. 1366 is a dead socket, about to be replaced by 2011.

Since we don't know much about bulldozer and what AMD has to offer, the current best choice for a socket is 1155.

The LGA 1366 platform is good while the LGA 1155 platform is better.. If you are building up a new rig then there is no point considering anything else other than the 1155 route (assuming you have the cash).. It won't cause you any remorse regardless of how much faster forthcoming techs turn out to be..

lazypie_man

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
thanks, yer i have a fairly high budget (£2k), but i wont to buy the best parts now so i dont have to keep upgrading, thanks for ya help much appriciated think il go with the 1155 socket.

1155 chips can only support duel channal memory whats the advantage/ disadvantage of tri channel memory if any?

Nobody knows this except probably AMD and the motherboard manufaturers and they are not talking yet.

Anything else is wishful thinking.

No significant advantage in gaming terms especially.. Synthetic benchmarking will gain more with the tri channel memory system compared to the dual channel.. The LGA 1155 platform however supports upto 32GB memory as opposed to 24GB on the LGA 1366 platform.. However, rarity of 8GB sticks and abundant availability of 4GB sticks gives the 1366 an advantage wherein one can have upto 12GB memory without loading all slots as opposed to 8GB on 1155..

lazypie_man

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
thanks emperus. i think im gunna get 2 lots of 8 lol that should be enought lol.
ya right bearclaw99, i dont really need a six core but it would be nice as a option in the future. will intell not bring out a 6 core 1155 socket, whats the crack with that ivy bridge?