montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I am in a desperate need for a new mb for my athlon xp 2500+ processor. You see I am currently in the process of building my first pc. I have done lots of up grades to my cto hp but found out after ordering my case that the mb will not work in anything but hp so am screwed. The mb in now is a asus but they basically disowned the mb. I am looking for a good mb for less than $100. any in put is appreciated

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Micro ATX boards fit larger cases, you just have to put the standoffs in the right places.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Course, if he bought one of those spacewalker or similiar cube cases, he'd be pretty limited. Exactly what case did you purchse? At one time, I had considered going all 1U and rack mounting everything - bad idea. Easy enough to custom drill aluminum spacers and brackets to mount any of my boxes in the rack - which was/is way better for me.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, still not a problem. Flex ATX (2-slots) is based on Micro ATX (4-slots) with the bottom chopped off, just as Micro ATX is based on ATX (7-slots). Even ITX boards (1-slot) are just shorter versions of Flex-ATX.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
the case that I am getting is the ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "PLUS1080AMG. which will be delivered by the 16th-which will fit any mb I believe thought I am looking for 1agp slot 8x prefered and hopefully 5pci slots. thnx for the input

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ABIT NF7-S Version2 is the best all around socket A MB I have had. Most people swear by them. It should have everything you desire.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

endyen

Splendid
A second vote for the NF7-S rev2 board. You will love the onboard soundstorm.
If you want to learn about ocing, that's the board to do it on.
If you already know how, Abit is the board for you. If you want oto underclock, for a quiet, cool system, that"s the board.
If you just want the most stable, and best performing board on the planet (for socketA), that's it.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah, ABIT NF7/NF7-S v2.0 is one of the best mobo ever made.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

endyen

Splendid
No need to bump, just go to <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=0</A>
and left click add to cart.

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
thnx endyen I am currently bidding onone in ebay and still wondaring whta other people are thinking. I have been told to get the non hp version of the asus A7n8x-e deluxe, shuttle an35n ultra or the abit you recomended. I appreciate all the help

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I am looking more @ the shuttle an35n mobo and amtrying to find the most inexpensive place to buy it and ebay has not been the awnser yet