[SOLVED] Solution for wirelss internet

Jul 26, 2019
Hello, I'm not very familiar with internet and networking stuffs so i need you guys to help a me out. Long story short im moving to a new flat and the landlord doesnt let me to get internet installed but offers me to use his wifi from the floor above and i obviously dont want to use public wifi. What i am wondering is what are my options to get wireless internet into my flat and if its possible to get any internet will it be good for casual pc gaming. And please dont tell me to find a different flat cause i dont have much choise. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I can't imagine why the landlord would take that stance. It would only increase the desirability of the flat for future renters. Anyways the point is moot.

Setup a cheap old desktop PC with two WiFi cards. One to connect to the landlords WiFi and one to act as an access point for your devices. Setup a VPN on your desktop to encrypt all traffic passing out of your network through the landlords.

Use a fast local VPN. Your speeds shouldn't be effected much. Paying for a VPN will be a lot cheaper than some other wireless internet solution. Which would pretty much be 4G LTE or 5G.
I can't imagine why the landlord would take that stance. It would only increase the desirability of the flat for future renters. Anyways the point is moot.

Setup a cheap old desktop PC with two WiFi cards. One to connect to the landlords WiFi and one to act as an access point for your devices. Setup a VPN on your desktop to encrypt all traffic passing out of your network through the landlords.

Use a fast local VPN. Your speeds shouldn't be effected much. Paying for a VPN will be a lot cheaper than some other wireless internet solution. Which would pretty much be 4G LTE or 5G.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

Another choice is to get a Wireless bridge that will run as a router. For example a Ubiquiti M2 Loco (about $50). That will allow you to point it UP to the floor above for maximum signal, it will treat the WIFI signal as "the internet" so your network is protected just like an ISP router. Then you can use the ethernet from the M2 to connect a switch or a router configured as an access point which will give you a switch + your own WIFI.