Ram : Gskill 32gb 3200mhz
Power Supply : Corsair SF750
Graphic card : msi rtx 3060 Ti
Operating system : windows 10
Motherboard : MSI B550 F Tomahawk
Case: Lian Li 011 mini
AIO: Galahad 240
Fans: 7 lian li AL

So I have 2 of the same set up. Yesterday I noticed the fans were running harder then normal. Which made me check temps of CPU and GPU. I shut the game I was playing off and noticed the CPU temp wasnt going down. was at 74C. I shut it down waited a few mins then powered back up. I did get an error message about CPU core temp at this time. Then the CPU was idling at 60-65C. My other setup for comparison idles at 39-42C. I also notice that the fans were all running 500-700rpm higher on the machine in question. When I turned a game on (tales of arise) it would raise to 74C and then hold around 69-74C with a spike to 79C. Also to note a few weeks ago we were running the game New world, which my my most taxing game, and these fans dont really get above 1kRPM. So for the PC in question to be running at 1500-1700RPM at idle is definitely not normal.

I am using CPUID for temps. Lian Li L connect for fan speeds. I checked and can feel the fluid flowing in the AIO when I grab the hoses. Fans are running and set to PWN. they do throttle up when needed so nothing off about that. I checked volts and do have it set to AUTO in bios. PCs are less then a year old and were cleaned a month ago. I am leaning toward the AIO pump is acting up. A few weeks ago it made a weird noise like the fluid had a hiccup. But I am seeing so many online say high temps is fine.

So not sure on direction at this point other then try a new AIO but I am open to thoughts.

Last edited:

legacykid

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Always monitor temps AND frequency so you're not being misled by a thermal throttle.

Taken from a website...Is this what you are suggesting?

How to stop thermal throttling
As we've now established, thermal throttling occurs as a direct result of your processor overheating. But what exactly can cause overheating in the first place? The main culprits are usually:
Poor airflow - either from an insufficient cooling solution, or excessive dust build-up, which can clog fans, ventilation, and heat sinks.
Fans - which are broken, obstructed, incorrectly installed or using RPM settings that are too low.
An incorrectly mounted CPU heat sink - meaning the cooler is not making proper contact with the processor.
In the case of water-cooling - poor cooler orientation, broken pumps, or else evaporation of the cooling fluid over time.

legacykid

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I am also noticing the tubes in the machine in question are warmer to the touch then the other machine. one feel room temp almost not feeling a temp change and the other is actually warm to the touch. Maybe it is the AIO pump.

Thermal throttling is when the CPU (GPUs do this also, but) will reduce its frequency if/when temp gets too high in order to prevent damage. In this situation of 2 identical systems could be running the same temp, but if one is thermal throttling because of inadequate cooling, it's frequency could be lower. IF frequency is the same, check CPU voltage as well. If one system is using more voltage to run the same frequency, it's drawing more power which needs to be dissipated as heat.

If you're using something like HWinfo64 you should also be able to see/compare the pump rpm on both machines.

Hot hoses/rad fins/heatpipes/etc on a cooler is a good thing. That means the heat is actually being dissipated off the CPU into the cooler. If the problem machine is the one with the cool hoses, that would tell me you've got a pump failure.

legacykid

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thermal throttling is when the CPU (GPUs do this also, but) will reduce its frequency if/when temp gets too high in order to prevent damage. In this situation of 2 identical systems could be running the same temp, but if one is thermal throttling because of inadequate cooling, it's frequency could be lower. IF frequency is the same, check CPU voltage as well. If one system is using more voltage to run the same frequency, it's drawing more power which needs to be dissipated as heat.

If you're using something like HWinfo64 you should also be able to see/compare the pump rpm on both machines.

Hot hoses/rad fins/heatpipes/etc on a cooler is a good thing. That means the heat is actually being dissipated off the CPU into the cooler. If the problem machine is the one with the cool hoses, that would tell me you've got a pump failure.

Interesting. Volts are the same on both machines. Under "clocks" for each core. Mine are bouncing from 36xx-46xx where as the other machine is 28xx-36xx
Volts to CPU on mine is 1.0 and the other machine is 0.98
Both AIO pumps are running at 32xx RPM

Again just sitting at idle only Chrome and HWinfo64 is open:

My machine the hoses are at a normal temp. one is slightly warmer to the touch.
CPU temp is 42C

The other machine one is cooler then the other, but both hoses are way warmer the the other PC.
CPU temp is 55C

Something doesn't seem right. I understand the hose should be warm because thats the warm fluid returning to the radiator. But Its soo warm comparably as if its not even cooling before it circulates.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Can you change the CPUs between the 2 build?

If after changing the "cold" CPU becomes "warm" in the second build---> it has nothing to do with the CPU, but with the cooling. Something wrong with the pump,. radiator etc.

If after changing the "cold" CPU and CPU keeps cold in the other build( and warm CPU keeps warm in the other build), than you do have bad luck with that CPU ( simply becomes hotter than the other one) and your cooling is ok on both builds.

legacykid

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Can you change the CPUs between the 2 build?

If after changing the "cold" CPU becomes "warm" in the second build---> it has nothing to do with the CPU, but with the cooling. Something wrong with the pump,. radiator etc.

If after changing the "cold" CPU and CPU keeps cold in the other build( and warm CPU keeps warm in the other build), than you do have bad luck with that CPU ( simply becomes hotter than the other one) and your cooling is ok on both builds.

Good Idea, I will try this!

legacykid

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
New AIO came in, installed it and its back to working as normal. Temps are all good. I tested the stock CPU fan that came with it and it wasnt running the fans as hot. But temps were steadily climbing while playing a game. about 5 min into Destiny 2 the temp got to 85C then I cut it off.

New AIO installed, Lian Li Galahad 240, working great. Mirroring the temps of the other PC now.

Thanks everyone for the input though, but incase anyone else sees issues with this AIO or similar you can read through this thread for what I was noticing!