Question [SOLVED] Crash/BSOD + CPU temperature and/or PSU problem?

Jul 5, 2023
Hello,

I recently bought a high-end computer (7 months ago), but the problem is that on some demanding games (e.g. Cyberpunk, BF2042, RD2, Star Citizen, etc...) I couldn't play for more than an hour without a crash back to Windows (or in the worst case a complete PC crash). I didn't pay much attention to it until a few days ago when I decided to do more research.
I took the opportunity to update the Bios (MSI Click Bios 5), and update most of my drivers, but nothing changes, there are still these crashes.

At this point, I think it comes from the PSU which must be defective but I'm not sure.

So, I tried a lot of Benchmark/Stress tests including several with OCCT with its "Power" test that puts CPU and GPU load to the max, and as soon as the first test starts, the software crashes.
I did 2-3 other tests and quickly noticed a problem, as soon as I start the Stress Test the CPU goes up to 100°C (Of course, I stop the test after a few seconds). And the second I stop the test, the temperature drops back to ~45°C (really in 1 second) (Well, I didn't study physics in college but is it normal for a component to go from 40->100->45°C in matter of 5 seconds?)

(The moment in question after the test)
brSjdQb.jpg

(On the left, we see the vMax at 100°C, and on the right the chart showing the evolution of the CPU temperature on a 3-4s test)

I also decided to relaunch Cyberpunk to see if I still have a crash after an hour (just to check, you never know :rolleyes:). Except that the game crashes (back to Windows) after 2 minutes now...
I also launched League of Legends (which worked without problems from the start), and I got a BSOD.

In short, here's my setup (what seems important):
  • Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 - B660/LGA1700/DDR4/ATX​
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K - 5.1Ghz/24Mo/LGA1700/BOX​
  • GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4080 O16G GAMING​
  • RAM: Kingston KF432C16BBAK2/16 8GB x 4 (at 3200MHz in PC25600) (XMP enabled)​
  • Watercooling: MSI MAG CoreLiquid C240 (Only for the CPU)
  • PSU: Seasonic ATX 850W 80+ Gold - G12 GM-850​
  • With 6 fans, almost no dust and in a quite ventilated place​

For me,​
  • either it comes from the PSU which is defective​
  • or it's the cooling that is defective or poorly arranged (I ordered Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste because the PC was not assembled by me but by a company and I think they must have used the thermal paste provided by one of the components)
  • or it's a CPU temperature sensor that displays incorrect results and pushes the CPU to drop its frequency to the minimum until it turns off (but I doubt it)
  • or it's the CPU?​

I hope you can guide me on what's wrong.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

(I can attach screenshots of HWiNFO64, OCCT, BlueScreenView, Windows Event Viewer if you want more details)​

Jul 5, 2023
A 13600K running at 100C when boosting is quite normal. See end of data sheet.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5 i5-13600K.html

If you run a CPU benchmark, it will sit at 100C until you end the test, with no ill effects on a correctly configured system.

If you're overclocking the RAM (XMP) or GPU, that could account for the instability.
Ok so I shouldn't worry about hitting 100°C in a stress test.

At least it's a good point, the crashes may not come from the CPU.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Stress tests do just that, they stress the computer. Nothing more. They don't fix faults.

You already know the computer isn't 100% stable so there's no point running a stress test until you change something.

Try running RAM with XMP disabled.

Try undervolting the CPU.

Reduce the GPU max power with MSI Afterburner.

Reactions: Triomphh
Jul 5, 2023
Stress tests do just that, they stress the computer. Nothing more. They don't fix faults.

You already know the computer isn't 100% stable so there's no point running a stress test until you change something.

Try running RAM with XMP disabled.

Try undervolting the CPU.

Reduce the GPU max power with MSI Afterburner.
I disabled XMP and it seems to work pretty well. (Second computer with completely different config, but always had problems with XMP)
Tomorrow I will do some further testing to see if it's actually solved, and if so, I'll mark this issue as resolved.

Big thanks to you.

Jul 5, 2023
I think the issue is "resolved"

Mainly thanks to the help of @Misgar and other people on other forums.

Here is what I did to "solve" the problem:​
  • I learned that my motherboard could have compatibility issues with 4 RAM sticks at 3200MHz (and that on the manufacturer's site, it was stated that the "SPD speed" is 2400MHz). So, disabling XMP (3200MHz -> 2400MHz) solved the crash problems.​
  • The temperatures reported from my CPU were too high according to many people.​
    • So I changed the thermal paste (to a Noctua NT-H2) and reseated the AIO.​
    • I increased the rpm of the fans to a minimum of 1100rpm as soon as the processor goes above 45°C.​
    • I saw on some forums that the default voltages of the 13th gen processors by the MOBO are too high. There is an option in the bios called "CPU Lite load" (for MSI motherboards) that allows you to change this. I changed it from mode 12 (default) to mode 9.​

Now I no longer have crash problems, and the temperatures are averaging 60-70°C on heavy games with maximum peaks at 80°C.
However, I'm considering changing my AIO, as it might not be as effective as expected.

Thank you for the advice. Have a great week​