[SOLVED] [solved] Random blackscreens while gaming (no signal) [solved]

Dec 22, 2019
Hey guys,
i have been having a the problem of blackscreens for a while now while gaming and cant seem to fix it. Sometimes it just goes black and back up again. Othertimes i have to hard reset the PC. It is also really inconsistent. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, sometimes not all. Other errors are rendering device lost in Overwatch, Dev Error 6068 in MW.
Setup:
MotherboardAsus Z170 Pro Gaming (newest Bios)
CPUi7-6700 @3.4 Ghz with air cooler (Broken2)
RAMG-Skill F4-3200 2x8 gb DDR 4
GPUrx 5700xt Red Devil (2 months old)
PSU500W beQuiet Straight Power 10 (80+ Gold)
SSD120gb Kingston and 240 gb Crucial
HDDSeagate Barracuda 1TB
OSWin 10 (newest build)
DisplaysMain: 24 inch 144hz 1080p, secondary:21 inch 60hz 1080p

So to give a backstory, my old GPU died a couple of months ago (R9 390 Sapphire) and i bought a new Red Devil when it came available.
Since then i have been having some troubles. What i tried so far:
  • reinstalling windows a couple of times and completley new from USB-stick
  • Uninstalling drivers with DisplayDriver in safemode, fresh installs
  • play with XMP Profile enabled / disabled
  • observe temps while playing: gpu: ~50-60° cpu: 60-70°
  • memetest86 -> full run of 13 test with 3 repetitions (standard?) with 0 errors
  • crystal disk -> all disk seem healthy
  • sfc scan with 0 errors
  • stresstest for CPU and GPU which seem to be stable (more recommandations appreciated).
  • event history: crictal: unexpected system shutdown (ID:41) -> me hardresetting i guess , error:ATKEX_cmd.exe and today OriginWebHelperService( ID1000)
My question is, what else can i do to find out what the problem is ? Or do i need to get a tool to measure the volts/watt or bring it to a technican ?
Im currently leaning towards faulty motherboard, because the gpu was new. Otherwhise it could obviously be a faulty GPU or PSU.
A friend recommended to buy a 700W PSU and check if it still happens, if not return it (and kinda abuse free return policy) - didnt do that yet.

Im really looking forward to your answers and gonna provide more infos as needed, thanks in advance !
Hansmakkar

Edit: The solution was a better PSU with more ampere on the 12V lane as mine didnt reach the recommended amount of 42a.

Last edited:
Solution
make sure your GPU is connected to both PCI-e 1 and 2 - since it's a split rail PSU, each rail may be unable to supply enough power at peak draw.

Hey guys,
i have been having a the problem of blackscreens for a while now while gaming and can`t seem to fix it. Sometimes it just goes black and back up again. Othertimes i have to hard reset the PC. It is also really inconsistent. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, sometimes not all. Other errors are rendering device lost in Overwatch, Dev Error 6068 in MW.
Setup:
make sure your GPU is connected to both PCI-e 1 and 2 - since it's a split rail PSU, each rail may be unable to supply enough power at peak draw.

Hey guys,
i have been having a the problem of blackscreens for a while now while gaming and can`t seem to fix it. Sometimes it just goes black and back up again. Othertimes i have to hard reset the PC. It is also really inconsistent. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, sometimes not all. Other errors are rendering device lost in Overwatch, Dev Error 6068 in MW.
Setup:
GPUrx 5700xt Red Devil (2 months old)
PSU500W beQuiet Straight Power 10 (80+ Gold)
SSD120gb Kingston and 240 gb Crucial
HDDSeagate Barracuda 1TB
OSWin 10 (newest build)
DisplaysMain: 24 inch 144hz 1080p, secondary:21 inch 60hz 1080p

So to give a backstory, my old GPU died a couple of months ago (R9 390 Sapphire) and i bought a new Red Devil when it came available.
Since then i have been having some troubles. What i tried so far:
  • reinstalling windows a couple of times and completley new from USB-stick
  • Uninstalling drivers with DisplayDriver in safemode, fresh installs
  • play with XMP Profile enabled / disabled
  • observe temps while playing: gpu: ~50-60° cpu: 60-70°
  • memetest86 -> full run of 13 test with 3 repetitions (standard?) with 0 errors
  • crystal disk -> all disk seem healthy
  • sfc scan with 0 errors
  • stresstest for CPU and GPU which seem to be stable (more recommandations appreciated).
  • event history: crictal: unexpected system shutdown (ID:41) -> me hardresetting i guess , error:ATKEX_cmd.exe and today OriginWebHelperService( ID1000)
My question is, what else can i do to find out what the problem is ? Or do i need to get a tool to measure the volts/watt or bring it to a technican ?
Im currently leaning towards faulty motherboard, because the gpu was new. Otherwhise it could obviously be a faulty GPU or PSU.
A friend recommended to buy a 700W PSU and check if it still happens, if not return it (and kinda abuse free return policy) - didnt do that yet.

Im really looking forward to your answers and gonna provide more infos as needed, thanks in advance !
Hansmakkar

Solution
Dec 22, 2019
yeah, you're at the borderline where the GPU could draw just about the max from the 12V rails.
so that could mean a spike could be beyond what it can handle.
Jeah I alrready ordered a stronger PSU that has more amps on the 12V lane, seems that it is likely the problem
Edit: I will report if that solved the issue, then marking the thread as solved

Last edited: