[SOLVED] SOLVED: Upgraded some components, now it won't boot.

Dec 23, 2019
Hey guys, been looking in on this site for a few years now but now it looks like the time's finally come for me to make an account and post.
I'll cut to the chase - I installed a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM today, and despite everything appearing to be be plugged in, hitting the power switch doesn't do anything. When I use the rear power button, the CPU fan and the GPU turn on, and the light on my mic turns on, but the keyboard, mouse, and screen all act as if nothing were happening at all. Worth noting is that the lights for the case (the cable for which is attached with the power switch wires) also do not turn on.
I would like use of my computer back soon, so I hope that you guys can help.

Dec 23, 2019
It's connected fully in both ends, but I did just unplug and reconnect to make sure. The PC was originally a prebuilt as a gift to me back in 2012, and I've been switching bits out over time like the Argo, and as of today it's basically just the case and PSU that are still original. However that means that I don't currently have access to any alternative wires other than what is still attached to the inside, and I don't have any other PSUs (I made this upgrade due to some issues I've been having for some time, and the PSU was the first part of hardware I was told to check, with the stuff I reported back I had been told that the PSU wasn't the problem and it was looking like either the CPU or the motherboard - since they were both seven and a half years old I decided to replace both)

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
It's connected fully in both ends, but I did just unplug and reconnect to make sure. The PC was originally a prebuilt as a gift to me back in 2012, and I've been switching bits out over time like the Argo, and as of today it's basically just the case and PSU that are still original. However that means that I don't currently have access to any alternative wires other than what is still attached to the inside, and I don't have any other PSUs (I made this upgrade due to some issues I've been having for some time, and the PSU was the first part of hardware I was told to check, with the stuff I reported back I had been told that the PSU wasn't the problem and it was looking like either the CPU or the motherboard - since they were both seven and a half years old I decided to replace both)
just reseat (cpu gpu ram etc) every thing and try with a single stick of ram and see if it boots

Dec 23, 2019
just reseat (cpu gpu ram etc) every thing and try with a single stick of ram and see if it boots
With CPU and GPU disconnected and reconnected, and both RAM sticks removed, and then one put back in, there are no changes.
Front power switch does nothing, rear power switch turns on CPU fan and GPU and nothing else happens (visibly).

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
With CPU and GPU disconnected and reconnected, and both RAM sticks removed, and then one put back in, there are no changes.
Front power switch does nothing, rear power switch turns on CPU fan and GPU and nothing else happens (visibly).
clear the cmos and try
and did you hook up the front panel correctly

Dec 23, 2019
Yup.
I was so excited by the new tech that I was somewhat overzealous in my approach. Because of the slot my SSD occupied in the case I thought it was the cable labelled 3 but was in fact 4. Thank you for being so patient with me while I muddle my way through my mistakes, everything is running great now (as far as I can tell)

I've been at it 5 hours now, I'll be trying the PC out properly after I wake up, but in the meantime I need to try out my newly doubled RAM by opening GTAO... while Chrome is still open.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Yup.
I was so excited by the new tech that I was somewhat overzealous in my approach. Because of the slot my SSD occupied in the case I thought it was the cable labelled 3 but was in fact 4. Thank you for being so patient with me while I muddle my way through my mistakes, everything is running great now (as far as I can tell)

I've been at it 5 hours now, I'll be trying the PC out properly after I wake up, but in the meantime I need to try out my newly doubled RAM by opening GTAO... while Chrome is still open.
i am sure it will work fine i was like you doing mistake a one point (still do)even fried a cpu lol from that gained some knowledge i am sure you learned something from this .