Question [SOLVED] Windows Boot Config File Missing or Corrupted

Dec 16, 2019
I apologize if this has been posted many times, but I have been stressing myself out trying to fix this problem for the whole day.

After a GPU failure, I had to get a new GPU and replace it. My computer was not the oldest, but it has ran rather reliably for several years. Now, during my testing for the aforementioned GPU failure, I admittedly forced shutdown my computer multiple times to test the parts, because the computer wouldn't even start when the broken GPU was attached.

After I got my new GPU, my computer now is able to turn on and GPU fans spinning, but I found my HDD dead. My SSD working though, albeit unable to boot. It gave me the message that the Boot Configuration File is missing or corrupted. Error code 0x0000000f. Instructions are to load in the recovery disk and do the auto repair.

I first checked all the connections. I swapped the SATA connectors around, changed the power cable, nothing worked. Then I took out my external CD drive (my com doesn't have a internal drive) and loaded my windows installation cd. But it didn't detect the CD drive.

I have my working laptop, so I tried to load the CD using the same external drive on my laptop and boot into it, and it worked. I can boot into the windows CD and do repairs etc.

I took out the SSD and hooked it up to my laptop using an external drive reader. It worked. I can boot into the windows on the SSD, albeit everything was tad slower. I can read the files on the SSD, and log into the same account.

But when I put it all back into my pc, it still gave me the same error. I recently swapped out the power supply for a new one too. I fear that the motherboard may be the problem. I have resettled the bios. Boot priority set properly (CD drive is still not recognized) and it does recognize the SSD on the external drive reader (meaning USB port is working), BUT it still gives the same error. Boot Config File Missing or Corrupted.

I am at a loss. Does anyone have experience with this? Or any advice to be given?

Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty
Ram: 4x8GB
Cpu: Intel i7 4700
PSU: Cooler Master 550W
GPU: Zotac 1660Ti (but not installed during the entire testing process)
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

Boot from Windows installation media and use bcdboot command to repair bootloader.
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
C: - windows OS partition
H: - bootloader partition
(Drive letters in windows installation environment may be different. Bootloader partition may be without a letter, then you'd need to assign it.)

Starcruiser

Honorable
The auto repair is a joke. It only works about 1/10 times.
One possibility is that your BIOS got corrupted if you force shut it down during POST. Since the USB ports still work, try flashing your BIOS using the latest version from the AsRock website. Find your board in this list and hit support>BIOS: https://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AllProduct
There are other possibilities, but that's a good starting point.

Dec 16, 2019
The auto repair is a joke. It only works about 1/10 times.
One possibility is that your BIOS got corrupted if you force shut it down during POST. Since the USB ports still work, try flashing your BIOS using the latest version from the AsRock website. Find your board in this list and hit support>BIOS: https://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AllProduct
There are other possibilities, but that's a good starting point.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try it out. At this point I'm just really quite stressed and frustrated, on top of my HDD being dead. I need to be more careful, but it's hard when nothing's working. Thank you again.

sc2lines

Great
Dec 13, 2019
In addition to what Starcruiser has proposed: You didn't say whether you had left the HDD in and connected ....I would recommend disconnecting it as well and only concentrate on getting the SSD up and running.

Dec 16, 2019
In addition to what Starcruiser has proposed: You didn't say whether you had left the HDD in and connected ....I would recommend disconnecting it as well and only concentrate on getting the SSD up and running.

My apologies. Yes I did disconnect the HDD indeed, plus it was already dead :(. Thankfully, only my games are on it and my important projects are on GitHub.

SSD is indeed working, just not on the PC. Thank you for the reply :)

Dec 16, 2019
Boot from Windows installation media and use bcdboot command to repair bootloader.
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
C: - windows OS partition
H: - bootloader partition
(Drive letters in windows installation environment may be different. Bootloader partition may be without a letter, then you'd need to assign it.)

I'll try this, thank you!

Dec 16, 2019
I fixed it! For people out there who may have faced similar situations, here is what I did.

For those who have a windows installation CD and your computer can boot from it, follow these steps, you can follow most guides out there by googling "windows boot configuration file missing or corrupt", and try the options available.

Otherwise, for those who don't have the CD or CD drive, or cannot use the CD for whatever reason, read on. This is what worked for me.

Using the windows utility tool, I formatted a usb stick (at least 12GB) into a windows installation usb drive. It functions the same as the CD but in usb drive form.

Using the stick, my com was able to recognize and boot from it. From there I followed the guides online and tried the options. Automatic repair didn't work for me. However, bootrec did, and it helped generate a boot config file. Reboot, and windows is loaded in.

PS: This answer may be stupid, and I was dumber to not try it earlier. But I learned from it. For people in the future out there, perhaps this answer would save your time, or offer a bit of hope. Thank you to SkyNetRising, Starcruiser and sc2lines for the quick response and help. I am glad to be able to contribute to this community.

However, bootrec did, and it helped generate a boot config file. Reboot, and windows is loaded in.
Glad it worked for you.

In my recommendation I recommended use of bcdboot instead.
This tool is more advanced than bootrec. It can fix bootloader even, if it is utterly corrupt or no bootloader at all.
There are situations, where bootrec is unable to help.

Dec 16, 2019
Glad it worked for you.

In my recommendation I recommended use of bcdboot instead.
This tool is more advanced than bootrec. It can fix bootloader even, if it is utterly corrupt or no bootloader at all.
There are situations, where bootrec is unable to help.

Thank you for the advice. Though, I sure hope I don't need it Hahahah